Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hips and airport security

(34 Posts)
Tippy22 Sat 01-Apr-17 16:57:46

I'm going abroad for the first time since having both my hips replaced. My husband says they'll set all the alams off when I go through security. Although he was joking it's got me wondering. Has anybody had experience of this.

Primetime Sun 02-Apr-17 08:49:52

Just from a man's point of view, what if a woman was wearing stockings & suspenders? my wife still does

Ginny42 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:37:21

Whilst all that was going on re the bra, my bag with purse, passport, credit cards, phone, etc were unattended on the conveyor belt. That was very stressful and it took me a while to calm down.

Bon voyage everyone! Hope your travels will be trouble free. sunshine

Ginny42 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:41:41

Forgot the important bit - it was the fasteners or the circular strap things at the back that set the bleeper off.

rosesarered Sun 02-Apr-17 13:17:15

My DH has a pacemaker, he has to tell them about it, and so doesn't go through the scanner.

rosesarered Sun 02-Apr-17 13:19:27

absent....Mr Absent must have a magnetic personality!grin

annodomini Sun 02-Apr-17 13:57:20

My right hip and left shoulder implants invariably set the alarms off and I get patted down. On one occasion, however, it was apparently the metal button at the top of my jeans that excited them. Surely I can't have been the only woman wearing jeans at Manchester Airport that day. On one of the occasions I was flying to France I learnt the French for hip implant: une prothese de la hanche. Quite useful.

HildaW Sun 02-Apr-17 17:00:21

I regularly set off the alarms....and do not have any fancy metal work (I've even taken my dental plate out before to no avail).....I've long since resigned myself to being patted down by some grumpy uniformed person. Then there are the times I do go through ok but, DH gets hauled over! We always get separated somehow and it all adds to my stress levels. Once finally through I am often found sniffing from a bottle of aromatherapy oil so that I can calm down before I get on the plane!

Newquay Sun 02-Apr-17 17:47:02

We usually go, a family party of 8, via Manchester and find the security officious and grumpy. One year, when youngest DGD was about 2 and happened To be walking with her older teenage sister, officious grumpy woman said that 2 year had to stand with her feet on markers and hold out her arms for 2 mins. DD sighed and wandered over to be told I shall have to fetch my superior cos, of course, 2year old DGD was having none of this malarkey! Said superior appeared, 2 year old,not impressed at all, but superioir was lovely, chatted with DGD asking about her lovely hair bobbles, who had done her hair so well then, frisking her thoroughly the while, lovely dress etc and finishing up with what gorgeous shoes-job done!
The following year we went via Brum, much better. Job done just as thoroughly but pleasantly. So just smile, play the game and NO JOKING!