Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Putting headbands on young baby girls (and other stuff)

(149 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Mon 07-Aug-17 14:02:01

I realise this is a bit of trivia but what do folks think about the fashion nowadays of putting headbands on young baby girls - especially those without much hair? I recently saw a picture on Instagram of an acquaintance of mine's 10 week old baby girl. Apparently her outfit which included a denim jacket plus frilly dress and shoes (by Dolce and Gabanna so the accompaniment to the picture stated) was topped off by a hideous looking headband. The baby barely has any hair and I couldn't help thinking how uncomfortable the poor little mite looked. We all want our babies to look cute but is this taking it to extremes? It's just my opinion and I won't lose any sleep over it - but what do other grans think?

Norah Mon 07-Aug-17 18:22:02

I think a good dose of pink clothes and pram cover for those who wonder to the sex.

Jalima1108 Mon 07-Aug-17 18:25:58

DS had a good dose of blue clothes and a new blue pram cover but it didn't make any difference.

ginny Mon 07-Aug-17 18:31:18

I can't say I like them but I'm sure they don't do any harm. My little grandson wears a 'hearing band' so a similar thing but just plain blue. We have had children ask why he has a head band .

rafichagran Mon 07-Aug-17 19:20:36

I do t like them, they look to twee.

paddyann Mon 07-Aug-17 19:40:54

its the fashion,my late mother used to say when your young you'd be as well dead as out of fashion.If its not hurting the baby then its no one elses business what you put on them

trisher Mon 07-Aug-17 19:45:31

Aw come on . Is this not cute?

Jalima1108 Mon 07-Aug-17 20:27:29

Nooooo!!

She is so cute without it

Fairydoll2030 Mon 07-Aug-17 20:35:39

The headband detracts from her gorgeous little face.
As least she's not wearing a denim jacket....

FarNorth Mon 07-Aug-17 20:38:30

I think headbands on babies look silly, but not nearly as bad as pierced ears on babies or young children.

FarNorth Mon 07-Aug-17 20:40:44

My DS and DDiL took the view that their DD could wear denim etc when she's older but while she was a baby they wanted her to look like a baby.
Seems sensible.

(I don't think a headband ever occurred to them.)

Ilovecheese Mon 07-Aug-17 20:47:57

To be fair to the denim jeans, they are usually lined with soft jersey fabric.
I rather like the headbands but my daughter says they are not the done thing.

Deedaa Mon 07-Aug-17 20:54:35

When one seems to spend so much time undressing and re dressing babies I can't see the point of adding any items that aren't actually essential. I always find that a nappy, a babygro and perhaps a cardigan were plenty to deal with, especially with an unco-operative baby!

I once took DD out in a very pretty pink dress with her lovely blonde hair and an old man told me what a nice little boy I'd got!

MawBroon Mon 07-Aug-17 21:04:24

Naff.

Nannapat1 Mon 07-Aug-17 21:05:22

I'm with MOnica on this one and each to their own. I'm surprised at the (negative) strength of feeling on such a trivial matter

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-Aug-17 21:12:29

Yes, of my three DC, two were very recognisable as a girl and a boy, but DD2 was always taken for a boy, no matter how much pink we threw on her. Looking back at photos, I can see why, but she's gorgeous now, honest! DGS2's auntie popped her headband on him for a moment at a family meal and he was immediately whipped away from us by the Italian restaurant owner, who paraded him round his customers, showing them all how bellissima the bambina was. Even when we tried to put him right, he didn't believe us! All I can say is, he definitely didn't take after his mum!

ElaineI Tue 08-Aug-17 00:38:13

The babies don't seem all that bothered whether in hairbands or jeans. It is personal to the parents how they dress their children.

Barmyoldbat Tue 08-Aug-17 08:06:55

My son had a full head of lovely curly hair when he was born and looked liked a real little bruiser but he was always mistaken for a girl. Hate the headbands.

Lillie Tue 08-Aug-17 08:57:00

I think hairbands can look pretty when they complement an outfit, although this is mainly for a special occasion. Recently on holiday on the Riviera (and spending a fortune on clothes for DGD!), I noticed how skilled our continental cousins are at putting stylish accessories with the childrens' garments. We haven't quite got it right over here yet.

gillybob Tue 08-Aug-17 09:09:55

Totally agree Nannapatl it's a bloomin' little headband ! grin and as long as it's not tight I can't see a problem at all . and that baby looks so cute trisher . Plenty people put their children in knitted bonnets ( tied with ribbon ) not me as I think they look horrible ( like silly dolly tea pot covers ) and dummies with ribbon round them, necklaces etc. Again not me can't stand dummies or necklaces on babies .

fitwell Tue 08-Aug-17 09:59:32

I hate them , my daughter loves them I think because my granddaughter was always being mistaken for a boy. I secretly remove it on every occasion and it has become a bit of a laugh as to how long it lasts

IngeJones Tue 08-Aug-17 10:01:44

Oh I hate them! When a baby has hardly any hair anyway they always remind me of children who are in hospital with a bandage holding something on their shaven head, especially as they are usually white or similar.

Nannapat1 Tue 08-Aug-17 10:02:06

Trisher - VERY cute!

Katek Tue 08-Aug-17 10:05:17

Now this is OTT! Very popular in my neck of the woods so a hairband is much less in your face. I don't particularly like them, and neither of my girls would even have kept them on! May be ok for special occasions - flower girl, parties etc., but not for everyday.

trisher Tue 08-Aug-17 10:05:26

So pleased there are others who think so Nannapatl I was thinking what a lot of grumpy grouches. Did wonder if it was because I only had boys and anything girly is sooo good. Got a GD now-she's older but ribbons and hair does and general adornment are a big part of our lives!

trisher Tue 08-Aug-17 10:06:51

Sorry not anything girly- there are limits and you've found one Katek-Horrors!