Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Difficult daughter

(86 Posts)
goodgran Sat 21-Oct-17 19:07:35

My daughter can be lovely but also very selfish and difficult. Shes a good mom of 3 lovely kids. Her husband left her 18 months ago having warned her many times that her behavioir was unacceptable.
She's a loving mom but a very difficult person and daughter.
I look after the kids a couple of times a week after school and during the holidays and now her job is changing. Her ex has a new job and can't have the kids in the week as much.
She had told me that she will need me to have the kids more since her job has changed...told not asked.
I have a chronic illness and struggle but want to help. My problem is her lack of respect.

We pay for her gas, electric, car, mobile phone and car insurance since her husband left as she got into terrible financial difficulties. My husband wants to retire but can't see how. We also paid her rent for 9 months and even now we're last on the list for debt, having to constantly remind her when her rent is due as it comes out if our account.

But she's not grateful for any of it and my husband and I are both feeling distressed and upset by her to the point where we feel we don't want to help anymore.
Everytime we try to talk about the way she treats us, it ends up with her storming out and blocking our numbers on her phone. She only unblocks us if she needs us. I feel so depressed all the time . Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 21:12:39

Thanks ladies. I am so grateful for ask the support and advice.
You have no idea how much tone helpedblush

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 21:12:59

You've that should say

Madgran77 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:20:34

Christmas Day - when on our own DH and I go for a lovely meal at a local gastro pub, turning it into something completely different from when the family are there. Makes it easier for us. flowers

Bibbity Mon 23-Oct-17 22:15:08

I'm sorry OP. How long is left on her tennnancy?

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 22:44:35

12 months Bibbity She couldn't rent without our support

farmgran Mon 23-Oct-17 22:44:39

I hope you go somewhere really lovely for a Christmas holiday Goodgran, you deserve it!

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 22:47:10

She's back tracking now saying she will come because she feels guilty. I've told her I would rather she didn't if shes coming out of guilt. I think she just wanted to hurt us saying she's was going elsewhere sad

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 22:49:14

Unfortunately we won't be able to as my brother in law and his family are coming. Nice thought though farmgran

Bibbity Mon 23-Oct-17 23:17:51

SORry I have read but I can't recall when did she start the tenancy.
I would inform her that if her attitude doesn't change and she does not stand on her own two feet you will not renew her tenancy by being a guarantor.

You can not pull out in this tenancy as you've signed. But you can inform the agency that you will not renew.

mumofmadboys Tue 24-Oct-17 22:54:29

Stand firm Goodgran. It is her choice if she comes at Christmas. Try and model good behaviour to her, as I am sure you do. Make sure you and DH stand firmly together. Don't ket her divide you. Make sure she knows decisions are joint ones between you and DH and carefully thought out. Things will improve. Try writing down the situation now and review it at 3 monthly intervals. Hopefully slow steady ptrogress will result. Wishing you all the best.xx