Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Frequency of visits

(90 Posts)
Mon1210 Wed 28-Nov-18 18:15:21

Hi, my 1st born daughter and granddaughter have just moved out. My granddaughter is 5 months old. I'm used to seeing her every single day. My daughter is suggesting we see each other once a week maybe twice. Is this normal? My mum doesn't really see my kids from one month to the next but I cannot vision that being my way. I don't know what is the right amount. I want a close bond with my granddaughter (I also want to see my daughter as I'm used to being with her all the time) without encroaching on my daughters life too much. How often do you guys see yr grandkids??

MissAdventure Wed 28-Nov-18 18:26:35

Sounds perfectly normal to me..
Regardless of what you want, your daughter obviously has her own idea of what is reasonable.
I think everyone here has their own experiences of time spent with family members, and what is acceptable to everyone.

mcem Wed 28-Nov-18 18:29:42

As and when. Usually overnight on Friday.
"I cannot vision that being my way" .
Sorry but you'll see them when your DD decided what is her way.
You should be adjusting to seeing less of them, not working out how much time you can demand.
Once or twice a week is perfectly normal and far more than many grans.

KatyK Wed 28-Nov-18 18:30:02

Sounds normal to me. I was a bit shocked when I started to see less and less of my daughter and granddaughter but unfortunately that's how it goes. I wish it was different but it isn't and at least we see them.

jusnoneed Wed 28-Nov-18 18:43:38

Perfectly normal, your daughter has her own life to live and your granddaughter is part of that.
I was very close to my Nan but never saw her every week. You can still be an important part of your granddaughters life without seeing her daily.

EllanVannin Wed 28-Nov-18 19:10:13

Once the children flee the nest and settle with partners and children we don't expect to see them quite as regularly as we once did and shouldn't expect to do so when they have their own lives to live. Visits are " by appointment only " which is fair enough when it's convenient to them.
I don't see one D and family at all because they're in Oz, but that's the life they chose.

Izabella Wed 28-Nov-18 19:12:13

Once in a blue moon for us. Twice a week is amazing, you are truly blessed.

Doodle Wed 28-Nov-18 19:31:07

When they were little about twice a month now they are bigger usually just school holidays.

J52 Wed 28-Nov-18 19:32:45

Usually once a week for us, but if everyone’s busy it can be a couple of weeks.
If your relationship is good, when you meet up it’s just like you’ve never been apart!

janeainsworth Wed 28-Nov-18 19:36:35

J52 If your relationship is good, when you meet up it’s just like you’ve never been apart!
Spot on. I see 3 of my grandchildren once every 6 months on average. But when I do see them, it’s wonderful.

kittylester Wed 28-Nov-18 19:54:03

Maybe we are lucky that we see them often but it is on a bit of an ad hoc basis and depends on what is going on in their lives (and ours!)

NfkDumpling Wed 28-Nov-18 19:55:45

Once a week is far more than I see mine. They have their own lives, busy lives. We seem them when we can - mostly in the holidays when we’re needed for child care!

SpanielNanny Wed 28-Nov-18 20:15:21

Usually once week, although it can be a couple of weeks between visits if they are particularly busy. I’d love to see my dgs more, but appreciate that I am very lucky.
I don’t remember seeing my own grandparents every week, and I used to take my son to visit my parents a couple of times a month.
It is a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string?’ question, but twice a week sounds more than reasonable, even for local grandparents.

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Nov-18 20:18:44

Does once or twice a week seem too much for you, then Mon1210?

I think once or twice a week sounds ideal.
I only see some of my family once a year (if lucky).

sodapop Wed 28-Nov-18 20:52:02

There is no 'normal' different strokes for different folks as they say. I think daily visits could be too much for most young families, you need to take a step back and let them live their lives. I think seeing your family once or twice a week is ideal.

MargaretX Wed 28-Nov-18 21:11:27

it depends where they live. One D lives close but is busy working and the other lives 100 miles away but awful traffic conditions on the roads to the town they live in.
We see each other on Birthdays but work comes in between. Women and mothers have jobs these days and can't make visits like housewives used to.

You will find twice a week plenty when you have got used to it. Your D needs her own space to develop and live her own life.

Mon1210 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:33:54

Thank you everyone. I'm not demanding any amount of time from my daughter. I understand she wants to embrace her new life and I fully support her. I'm mearly trying to manage my own expections. It's hard going from a daily parent to suddenly it going weekly. It's going to be a huge adjustment and I just wanted to know how others have it.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Nov-18 23:39:11

I think that's the advice which is given the most on here; managing expectations (not erections, as my phone wanted to write it!)
Its good that you're already in that frame of mind. smile

Mon1210 Wed 28-Nov-18 23:44:07

Haha thank you for taking the time to reply

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Nov-18 23:51:11

I’m lucky enough to see each of my four DGS at least once a week, often more. But I must say I loved my grandmother to bits and rarely saw her, as she lived away.

I understand your worries though. My DS and family have lived with us for a few months on two occasions, when they were between houses and when they were having major work done on their house. I just loved having them, and it was a major adjustment when they left. Everything seemed unnaturally tidy and quiet, and I did so miss the baby just being there when I got up in the morning and arrived home from work. You’ll soon get used to it though, and it sounds as if you’ll see them often. smile

MissAdventure Wed 28-Nov-18 23:56:38

I see my 16 year old grandson once a week.
How strange, I've never contributed really to these threads, because I've only just thought about how often I see him.
Yes, once a week he peddles round on his bike, even in the rain, and sometimes only for 1-2 hours before he has to go again.
I really enjoy seeing him, which has only now occurred to me too.
A night of revelations! smile

Mon1210 Thu 29-Nov-18 00:07:34

Guess I'll just get into my head once a week! Will miss the morning snuggles thou! And the daily cheek from the dd,usually about my age.

MissAdventure Thu 29-Nov-18 00:14:01

come on here and i'll insult you about your age, if you want? grin
Well, you may get asked to babysit in between visits, hopefully.
My mum used to really enjoy babysitting my daughter (if it was convenient for her)
They were best friends, and stayed that way when my daughter grew up into her 30s.

Mon1210 Thu 29-Nov-18 00:16:40

Hahha highly amusing. Yeah didn't think about babysitting. Just want to have a good bond and be able to do baking and stuff with her.

NfkDumpling Thu 29-Nov-18 06:44:09

Having sleepovers instead of going there to babysit is always a treat for GPs, parents and most of all the DGC. All mine are dead chuffed at having a GP meet them from and take to nursery/school too.