Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

advice about dad

(81 Posts)
busybee6969 Thu 17-Jan-19 08:41:59

dad is 80 poor health,has a dog for company,i visit daily do all i can im only daughter,phone every evening,he has a cleaner who is getting very demanding,just found out he has been collecting her from her other cleaning jobs quite a few miles away and running her in his car to bank ,.he gave her my old car a year ago so she has her own car,just found out,he paid of the debt on her old car when she got my car,a year ago so her 3 hours a week cleaning pay is actually coming off the debt he paid for her,but he admits she only flys round doing the cleaning quick possibly 1 and a half hours but expects 3 hours knocking off her debt he paid,she rolls up for dinner several days a week letting him know night before what day and time he needs to cook her dinner for then as soon as they hgave eaten her hubby collects her, she is about 53 ,i think dad is getting more forgetful,but its making me ill with worry as i dont trust her. found out about a year ago she had applied to local council to try and get a council flat in dads town so she could help look after him,putting him down as her stepdad,when i called her out on it saying it was fraud she was no relation to him a cleaner/friend she laughed in my face, luckily she did not get a coucil place, her hubby and her rent private move address about every 9 months,any advice sorry for long post

Everhopeful1 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:15:33

I have not read all the answers but maybe get a camera installed in his house.

BradfordLass72 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:18:46

Does anyone know the outcome yet? I'm quite worried about this.

Lily65 Fri 18-Jan-19 20:30:38

try not to worry.

kwest Fri 18-Jan-19 21:15:47

This sounds like a form of coersive control and also grooming. Please speak to the bank and to the police. Tell the bank that you are going to inform the please and ask them if they will temporarily suspend his account . They have a duty of care towards their more vulnerable customers surely?

GabriellaG54 Fri 18-Jan-19 21:37:04

A camera sounds a good idea...unobtrusive, of course. grin

MrTumble Sat 19-Jan-19 06:58:36

Any update yet , Busybee It would be nice to know if you have taken on board any of the advice from the posts on here and what the outcome was. People on this site do genuinely care, and get upset when they read about abuse.
smile

Willow500 Sat 19-Jan-19 07:23:49

Extremely worrying and definitely sounds like grooming. Do you have access to your father's bank to determine how much he is withdrawing each week? Is it possible she now knows his details and PIN numbers? Please contact the organisations above ASAP and get rid of her, change the locks and also inform the bank you are concerned.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Jan-19 08:17:27

I think someone had a good laugh yesterday.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Jan-19 08:20:49

I m beginning to think so too Urmstrongran
I think we should cease advice until Busybee6969 comes back to us

aggie Sat 19-Jan-19 08:41:47

I think that some posters have been on a "Creative Writing" course when I read some threads , makes it interesting and instructive .

Riverwalk Sat 19-Jan-19 08:46:29

A quick search shows the OP asked for help with this problem a year ago - seems nothing has been done in all that time.

Lily65 Sat 19-Jan-19 11:00:30

Riverwalk, thats awful. That poor old person has been left in the same sorry state for over a year?

Why don't the 69 ers deal with it?

BlueBelle Sat 19-Jan-19 11:11:22

Riverwalk how did you do a search the search facility has been down for days

grannyactivist Sat 19-Jan-19 14:21:03

www.gransnet.com/forums/aibu/1245145-dodgy-cleaner
busybee6969 has been posting for several years. This is the previous thread on the subject and it's apparent that nothing has changed in the interim, except possibly to have got worse.

Riverwalk Sat 19-Jan-19 14:23:48

Google BlueBelle.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Jan-19 16:08:21

Of course Riverwalk I forgot about googling names Yes I see what you mean Busybee6969 had exactly the same problem twelve months ago so as the poor old man seems in the same situation, cooking and paying and having the cleaner round each day for hours and worries about monies and cars etc all the advice given then has been of no use at all and not used so absolutely no point in going over and over it all again
Exactly the same problem 12 months apart

NannyEm Sun 20-Jan-19 04:40:22

Bustbee6969 I agree with everything people have said. Send her packing. There must be other honest cleaners who would be glad of a job. She sounds very manipulative. It will be more difficult if she persuades him to change his locks or give her his bank details.

NannyEm Sun 20-Jan-19 04:42:11

That was an unfortunate slip. Should have read busybee6969.

BradfordLass72 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:02:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lily65 Sun 20-Jan-19 20:04:50

Murphs123 Sun 20-Jan-19 21:08:13

Apologies if this has already been suggested but I would set up a hidden web cam to keep an eye on the cleaners behaviour. A friend of mine is a district nurse and many older people have them in their homes.

Murphs123 Sun 20-Jan-19 21:13:14

Just read the previous threads. Wow. Not sure why people would make this stuff up.

Lily65 Sun 20-Jan-19 21:32:08

llizzie2 Mon 21-Jan-19 01:29:42

How did your father find her? Workers who go into other people's homes to work and especially in care should be registered with the police. You could therefore quite legitimately ask the police if she is registered with them so there is no embarrassment. It is so difficult to find people who care but that does not mean to say that she is irreplaceable. What you describe is very worrying and you would be failing as a daughter if you did not do something about it.

Lily65 Mon 21-Jan-19 11:11:15

What a worry for the OP who pours her heart out.

What do you think of the kind and sincere suggestions? Are any of them useful to you?