Ask a gran

Secrets of a happy life

(59 Posts)
Revolucion Sat 01-Jun-19 14:33:53

What are your secrets for a happy life?

Buffybee Sat 01-Jun-19 22:29:13

To love and be loved......

Tangerine Sat 01-Jun-19 22:57:21

I try to be content with what I have and not worry about things I can't change. Obviously, if you're bereaved or truly struggling with illness, it isn't possible not to think about what you can't change.

If you keep longing for things you can't afford, I think it can unsettle you.

3dognight Mon 03-Jun-19 12:41:55

I sometimes wonder if people who have come through hard times and overcome them can end up happier than people who have sailed through life with no real upsets.

When you have had dark and miserable times in your life, and managed to turn things around for yourself, to feel happy and in control is a wonderful thing.

So perhaps overcoming adversity = happiness?

loopyloo Mon 03-Jun-19 13:08:04

Making the best decisions for yourself, which is often a lot of luck. Thinking twice about things.
Always having a backup plan.
Being fortunate to choose an amenable life partner.
Appreciating what you have. One day it will be gone.

Anniebach Mon 03-Jun-19 13:26:45

Being fortunate if your chosen amenable life partner lives
past the age of 30.

Life is happy and unhappy

Nansnet Tue 04-Jun-19 05:46:38

None of us know how long we have on this earth, so make the most of life, while you have it. I've sadly had to say goodbye to far too many friends/family, who went well before their time ... life is too short to be miserable!

Don't worry about what others have, that you may not have.
What is important, is what YOU have, and making the most of your own situation.
We all go through good times and bad times.
When things aren't going well, the secret is to pick yourselves up, and dust yourselves off ... I know, I've been through bad times in the past, and then made an effort to change things for the better.
Try to surround yourselves with people you care about, and who care about you ... the ones who make you laugh and smile ... if they make you miserable, get rid of them!
You only get out of life what you put into it ... no one ever said it was going to be easy.
Life is what you make it.

absent Tue 04-Jun-19 05:57:25

An utterly shallow personality.

Anniebach Tue 04-Jun-19 08:43:04

Some good posts, but the answer to grief from Nansnet
‘Life’s to short to be miserable ‘ ?