Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Right then, the gammon!

(50 Posts)
phoenix Thu 19-Dec-19 20:17:59

Hello all, usual good wishes!

On another thread, someone mentioned my now rather historic "Cursing the Gammon" post/thread.

This year's gammon is currently in the freezer, weighs approx 2.2 kg.

I intend to cook it on Christmas eve (Tuesday, for those like me who have trouble working out days at this time of year blush)

So, as it's a rather dense lump (I feel an affinity with it grin) I'm tempted to take it out tomorrow (Friday) to make sure it will be completely defrosted so that I can start cooking (and possibly cursing?) it on Tuesday..

Any thoughts?

Hetty58 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:21:07

Poor piggy!

MawB Thu 19-Dec-19 20:23:12

Go for it!
I like the Nigella Coke recipe.

Pudding123 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:23:20

I think I would take it out on Sunday night...

M0nica Thu 19-Dec-19 20:29:32

Depends where you defrost it, but I would think 24 hours would be sufficient.

My gammon, much the same weight, will be collected fresh on Monday.

SpringyChicken Thu 19-Dec-19 20:30:03

This may help

www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/87

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:31:02

I have four to cook this year (one for us and the others for AC). All slow cooked in oven in Cider, Bayleaves and Cloves. Flipping Gammons tchgrin

Doodle Thu 19-Dec-19 20:34:24

phoenix thank you for bowing to public demand and giving us our gammon thread. It wouldn’t feel like Christmas without it tchgrin

How much does your gammon weigh? Are you defrosting it in the fridge?
I think tomorrow would be a bit soon.
How are you planning to cook it?
Has MrP got a new pair of ear defenders for when the cursing starts?
Has he prepared the padded room to shut you in when things get too heated?
tchgrin

Doodle Thu 19-Dec-19 20:36:17

Sorry you already said how much it weighs. That is quite dense.

BBbevan Thu 19-Dec-19 20:41:08

Mine is in the freezer. Coke ready and waiting. DD has asked us for Boxing Day. So no need to cook an enormous ham for just me and DH. Will it be alright 'til Easter.

phoenix Thu 19-Dec-19 20:41:13

MawB apart from the Nigella recipe, I think I'm with you. It's likely to take quite a bit of time to defrost, and unlike poultry, can (I think) sit in the fridge safely for some time.

Pudding123 I think expecting 2plus kilos of solid meat to defrost in the fridge between Sunday night and Tuesday morning might be pushing it!

Hetty58 bit late for "poor piggy", what do you want me to do, perform some sort of ritual to turn my gammon back into and live pig? And what would I do with it if that worked?

Convert the spare room into a comfortable sty?

phoenix Thu 19-Dec-19 20:44:41

Doodle do you really want the original "Cursing the Gammon" thread?

Apparently it can be found!

Daddima Thu 19-Dec-19 20:54:06

It’s nice in ginger beer as well as Coke.

Daddima Thu 19-Dec-19 20:57:01

Sorry, I meant ginger beer instead of Coke, not as well as!

Don’t know what the soup would be like, though. Didn’t Nigella or someone else make black bean soup with the Coke the ham was boiled in?

merlotgran Thu 19-Dec-19 21:10:31

Ours is 2.8Kg. There will be six of us over Christmas so I'm sure there will be plenty. What's left gets divided out between whoever wants to take some home.

I always do my tried and trusted Sugar Baked Ham recipe. I think it's a Cordon Bleu recipe or it might be one from Farmers Weekly (back page) which I used to avidly read for recipes during the seventies.

I do the boiling stage in the pressure cooker which reduces the time then a nice slow bake when it has been coated with mustard, honey and demerara sugar. I do the diamond scoring and clove studding natch.

Let's have the orginal thread, phoenix. Pleeeeeease??

phoenix Thu 19-Dec-19 23:12:34

merlot not sure how to do it from tabl, but I believe there was some info posted on my "whingeing" thread, will have a look, but might be too techno numpty to actually achieve anything!

Nannytopsy Thu 19-Dec-19 23:17:46

Merlot that is how I cook mine too, except it gets simmered in a pan as I don’t have a pressure cooker. Having seen the damage my mum achieved with a pressure cooker, a gas stove and no sense of time, I have kept well clear!

JackyB Thu 19-Dec-19 23:28:00

There's this one, but it refers to an earlier thread which I haven't been able to find.

www.gransnet.com/forums/christmas/1255551-Cursing-the-gammon-An-oldie-but-apparently-a-GN-Christmas-tradition#26986938

Callistemon Thu 19-Dec-19 23:36:07

I think that's too early.
Are you soaking it first?

If so, I would take it out on Sunday, defrost slowly in the fridge, and soak it overnight on Monday.

Squiffy Thu 19-Dec-19 23:46:28

Hope this is the correct link!

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1232688-By-request-The-Annual-Christmas-Ritual-of-Cursing-the-Gammon

merlotgran Thu 19-Dec-19 23:47:08

That's the one, JackieB.

BBbevan Fri 20-Dec-19 00:46:44

Any answers to my question ?

Doodle Fri 20-Dec-19 21:03:56

Sorry Bbevan don’t know. Check your freezer rating and look online. I think some meat is ok for 3 months, not sure about longer.

How’s your gammon doing phoenix is it out of the freezer yet?

jura2 Fri 20-Dec-19 21:09:28

oh, I thought it would be about ... ah well.

M0nica Fri 20-Dec-19 21:24:04

Phoenix it would only be a bit of the pig, a active living leg, no, I will not go any further.