Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I cancel

(77 Posts)
JeannieB44 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:49:00

My husband was due to have a big op on his foot in December so thinking he would be well on the road to mobility I booked to go with a friend to an afternoon tea event with an author we both love. Well the surgery was cancelled and now booked for April and the day he is due home is the day of the afternoon tea. He is going to be brought home by hospital transport and our eldest son will be here to look after him (because of the distance from the hospital he might not be home to late afternoon anyway). Me being me I am feeling guilty already. Am I being selfish by wanting to go ?

Shropshirelass Sat 04-Jan-20 09:34:48

Go and enjoy yourself. This was pre arranged and your son will be at home when your husband gets home. Anyway, hospital dates and transport change constantly for many reasons so you have no need to change your plans.

I know someone who had arranged to go out for a meal with her son and his wife, just before they were due to leave when her husband fell off a ladder and they had to call an ambulance, husband went off to A & E, wife went out for her meal! Husband had broken ribs! I think something like this is when you have to change your plans!