Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Funny things grandchildren say

(90 Posts)
granbabies123 Mon 30-Dec-19 13:13:46

We have just had a wonderful few days with Ds ,Dil and 3 lovely Gc,
We live in Yorkshire they live in Essex so visits not that often but always delightful.
After first night sleeping in their cabin Grandad went indoors and the two youngest arrived to see if I was awake ,bounced on the bed and dived in for hugs.
Gs age 8 says,"shall I tell you a fact Grandma"? To which I thought, here goes with some 8 year old wisdom.
"Your boobs make lovely cushions" was his remark, " they're great to cuddle up to".
Well there was no answer to that just howls of laughter.
Anyone else's loved little ones made you laugh these holidays?

Leah50 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:18:20

My 6-year-old grandson asked if I had a spade to dig up Chunk & Squeak who are buried in the garden. Rather shocked I asked why? Apparently after visiting a dinosaur museum he thought cat skeletons would be very interesting.

Aepgirl Tue 31-Dec-19 10:26:17

My grandson’s first appearance in a nativity play, had to say ‘Bethlehem is full’, but he insisted it was ‘lovely hen is full’.

Gillingham60 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:27:33

Ninarosa
Best one I've heard in agesgrin

Skinnylizzie Tue 31-Dec-19 10:28:16

My 4 yo GS loves to play with my stripes- he says they are so soft - he is talking about the wrinkles on my arms! grin my GD gently patted the top of my arm and said ‘ fly little wings, fly’ wink

micky987 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:47:49

When my adult son was about 6 he had to write a sentence in his school book and draw a picture to match. The sentence said “I like to ride my hores “ I was so glad the picture was of him on his horse.

MargaretinNorthant Tue 31-Dec-19 10:48:38

My Grandson aged 4, quite used to seeing his parents wandering about nude, suddenly noticed his Mum didn't have a "willy". Horrified he said to his Dad, "we must buy her one Daddy". Struggling to keep a straight face, his Mum said, but where would we buy one? Answer...."in Milton Keynes next to the Teddy Bear shop". He's 24 now, but when we wonder where to buy anything.....its a standard answer!

clareken Tue 31-Dec-19 10:49:41

DD1, aged 10 wad studying WW2 at school. She wanted to ask her DGM about her wartime memories. We rang, and she asked "Grandma, were you evaporated?" She didn't understand why we were laughing.

Seefah Tue 31-Dec-19 10:50:36

My four year old went to the Zoo with her dad but the elephant pavilion was empty. Suddenly a small animal raced across the grass and her dad said what was that ? To which she replied a pavvy lion I think ?.

clareken Tue 31-Dec-19 10:50:39

was, even

Nona4ever Tue 31-Dec-19 10:57:45

My DGS was just 3 and eating his supper.
DIL said ‘eat up your carrots, darling and then you’ll be able to see in the dark.’
DGS contemplated for a while. ‘Or I could just get a torch,’ he replied, very reasonably I thought.

daffodil07 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:02:44

Gd & I were making Christmas cards & glitter was everywhere! As we tidied up I said to her, Oh P you have glitter on your nose to which she replied, Oh Mamaw you’ve got glitter in your whiskers! Needless to say I’ve tried to be whisker free since!

annierich Tue 31-Dec-19 11:03:38

DGD age 8 asked us at Christmas if we could play Scramble. Took us a while to work out she meant Scrabble!

helenmabr Tue 31-Dec-19 11:17:42

A few from my grandkids
1) Gran who is more important God, Jesus or Father Christmas?.... ?
2) Gran why have you got that shiny wool on your wall? (Tinsel)
3) Discussing Guides and brownies... “ No Joseph you won’t go to brownies because you are a boy, you will go to cubs and then on to scabs! ( meaning scouts) grin

ReadyMeals Tue 31-Dec-19 11:25:56

Friend and her 3yr old daughter staying the night with me and my 4 yr old son. Kids shared a bed. In the morning my son was teasing her. Little girl said "He was being nice to me in bed last night, now he's being horrible to me". My friend said "That's what men are like".

goose1964 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:28:49

Christmas eve I wore a black dress covered in santas, crushed velvet leggings and novelty elf slippers. I walked into the living room and DGS, nearly 3 said Oh look Granny's an elf.

Kartush Tue 31-Dec-19 11:29:22

Many years ago my grandson (4 at that time) and I were walking up our farm and came across a pile of horse droppings. He jumped over it and said “ that’s horse poo, we don’t step in horse poo hey grandma.” He then turned around looked me straight in the eye and dead serious said “ and we never eat it”

Antonia Tue 31-Dec-19 11:36:30

Not really a funny saying - but my four year old granddaughter had a serious meltdown in Asda because they had run out of .......seabass!!

PatriciaH Tue 31-Dec-19 12:20:58

I normally use a fairly inexpensive BB cream but treated myself to an expensive new foundation. My six year old old grandson looked at me very closely and said” grandma I’m not sure about your makeup! It’s very old fashioned” Well that’s that now firmly put in the back of the cupboard, never to appear again.

JeannieB44 Tue 31-Dec-19 12:21:25

I always take my shoes off when I visit the family but as I was only collecting GS I hadn't. 4 year old GD very seriously showed me where I had to leave my shoes because mummy spent ages cleaning the floor when people didn't take their shoes off. My DILs face was a picture, apparently she had got annoyed because my son had pushed the messy pushchair in after a walk and GD had heard. It was funny.

Lxrl Tue 31-Dec-19 12:33:12

When we were children my younger sister who was maybe 5 or 6 at the time closely inspected my granny's face and, in a very matter-of-fact way, said "granny you haven't got any eyelashes." Next time we visited she was wearing those ridiculous costume false lashes with tiny sparkly gems on. Sister didn't see the funny side of it grin

Jan51 Tue 31-Dec-19 12:33:43

My 12 year old grandson loves watching Harry Potter films. His 3 year old sister suddenly comes out with 'Can we watch Harry Potter, I love Harry Potter, he's my boyfriend'.
She is such an angelic looking child with a halo of blonde curls and makes my heart melt when she looks up from playing and says 'I love you Nanny'

crimpedhalo Tue 31-Dec-19 13:02:02

I've just returned from a short visit to see my son's new house. My nearly 4yo granddaughter took me upstairs to see her bedroom and I casually sat on her brand new double sleigh bed while she fetched some dolls from her playroom. As she entered the room her eyes popped out and she said I mustn't sit on her unicorn duvet cover as I would knacker it as she spent time making her own bed this morning. Oh how I laughed.

jannxxx Tue 31-Dec-19 13:32:57

nana your very good with babies do you have any of your own? i said yes a little boy eldest grandson said where is he now, i pointed to his 42 year old daddy and he wouldn't believe me,

Dottynan Tue 31-Dec-19 13:47:29

We were standing on a bridge over a lake when a huge fish swam under. My daughter said "he'd be nice with some chips"

ReadyMeals Tue 31-Dec-19 13:53:36

jannxxx that reminds me of my two - they must have been about 9 and 6 at the time. I had read them a story that had two babies in it. I said at the end, "I had two babies" and they both excitedly chorused "Ohhhh!!! Where are they now???"

And my 3yr old grandson has learnt that he grew inside his mummy, and informed me of that fact. I replied that his mummy had grown inside me. He firmly corrected me by pointing out that mummy's too big to fit in me.