Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mothers Day

(217 Posts)
Ceitdh Tue 03-Mar-20 12:47:06

My daughters always go for lunch with me on mothers day have down for years. My youngest daughter brings her son with her. However my eldest daughter has just had a baby and has said this year she is going out with her husband and baby for dinner as he is treating her as its her first mothers day. I feel very upset by this i give and do everything for them i even paid for the ivf. I feel he could have taken her out the saturday. She hasnt told me yet as my youngest informed me but she will. Apparantly wants to see me the saturday instead. But i feel mothers day is for spending with your mother not your husband. I dont want to upset her by causing an argument but im also very upset. Thoughts?

Tess59 Thu 05-Mar-20 01:54:06

I also agree with the responses above. It's a really special day for your daughter and she should be able to enjoy it with her husband and baby. Family traditions get tweaked and modified over time to accommodate all the members of a family.
In my own family we used to have yum cha lunch on Sunday with all the children and partners. Since the birth of my grandson, I now have a wondetful family dinner on Saturday night prepared by my son and daughter-in-law, breakfast out on Sunday with my daughter and husband and then an afternoon with my grandson while my son and daughter-in-law spend some child-free time in a nice restaurant. It's a lovely weekend and really works well for us!

hopeful1 Thu 05-Mar-20 09:10:23

You are very lucky to have your family whatever day. Just saying.

Ceitdh Thu 05-Mar-20 09:52:56

Thank you all for your replies even although I have never been called selfish before in my life. I wrote the post on an intial kneejerk reaction from hearing the news and yes of course the responses hurt. I havent replied until now as my daughter was taken into hospital at 6am by ambulance with unmanageable arthritus pain and i went to meet her there and stay beside her. Shes had thix pain most of her adult years its horrific to feel so helpless and it put all thoughts of who is doing what on mothers day to such an irrelevant place. I really dont care just want her free of pain so she can enjoy her bsby. Its so horrible to not be able to help her.

However for a bit of perspective....
I have worked all my life to give both my daughters everything i never had. I have no fancy cars or fancy holidays or designer clothes in fact i buy very little for myself all my money is for my children and thsts the way i like it. Thats what gives me pleasure because one day i wont be here to give them treats or help them. Ive always been that way its my choice and its what brings me the most happiness. I just love surprising them and i go crazy at xmas lol love seeing their faces. I shouldnt have mentioned the ivf that was a petty knee jerk response to a sudden hurt.
As for mothers day all families celebrate these days differntly. In my family my two sisters and i always went somewhere special with my mother for lunch then once our children came along they joined us for that lunch. It was a female day with all us mothers and children included celebrating us all together. Grandmothers, mothers, daughters and grandchildren. Just for a couple hours of the day and we would celrbrate with our husbands in the morning or evening but this was our " girls hrs". We continued to do this when my sisters kids had kids and my daughters kid. So it was really hurtful at the time to hear my eldest wouldnt be coming.
I dont ask for anything from my children except to be appreciated and i originally saw this as her not appreciating me i know now thats so stupid as we are very close and its just truvial. Shes a beautiful soul so kind and loving and will be the very best mother her son is so lucky and i am so very lucky she has a husbsnd who adores her.
I did say to her btw i know about mothers day and its absolutely fine angel just enjoy - she replied that she still hadnt made her mind up but i am going to insist as her husbsnd obviously wants to treat her special. I will enjoy with the rest of the family.
I hopd that kinda all makes sense

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:19:20

I agree with others. It's time to step back. It will be my DIL first Mother's Day this year, thanks to IVF. It would never cross my mind that they would choose to spend it with me. They are now a family unit and she will always come first for my son, but I will always be his mother. It's as it should be.

Was you own mother so possessive and demanding of you or did she set you free when you became a mother? Sorry if that sounds harsh but you did ask for thoughts.

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 05-Mar-20 10:21:51

Ceitdh Your post clearly came in as I was still typing. It all makes more sense now. We all sometimes suffer from knee jerk reactions. Hope everything works out for you flowers

Chewbacca Thu 05-Mar-20 10:24:23

It sounds as though you've come to a place of understanding and acceptance Ceitdh and that's very positive. I hope you DD gets well very quickly and that you all get to spend Mother's Day in a way that gives you all pleasure.

Ceitdh Thu 05-Mar-20 10:40:52

Yeah she had said whilst pregnant just think mum ill be a mum too for our mothers day lunch i wont be the only one who is just an aunty! I was so delighted for her and just felt bit sad that i would miss her there and also that shed miss identifying as a mum with her own baby there too. But its irrelevant i just want her happy and pain free whatever they choose to do.

Babyshark Thu 05-Mar-20 11:16:40

Sorry your daughter is going through such a hard time at the moment and awful for you, you must feel so helpless.

I would just say be prepared for your daughters to want to celebrate special occasions differently (they may not). Just because you had girls hours etc, you can’t place expectations on them if they have other ideas and you have no right to place your disappointment on them.

You list the things you do for your children and that’s great, but you chose to do them and they don’t owe you anything for it. You still come across as “look at all I do for them”. If you don’t mean it that way, just be aware that you could seem like you are holding these things over them.

LoveFrank Thu 05-Mar-20 13:05:35

Don't be upset! You can have two lovely days with your favourite people. I'm sure you will feel better when that happens.

Ceitdh Thu 05-Mar-20 13:40:36

Babyshark

I dont say it to them or anyone else i was just explaining our relationship due to the vast responses which appeared quite harsh as to calling me selfish. Thats all

And i have explained it was a knee jerk reaction

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 05-Mar-20 14:26:38

Whew!

tinaf1 Thu 05-Mar-20 17:40:14

Ceitdh , hope you’re daughter is feeling better, and pleased you’ve made peace with your disappointment over Mothers Day,

Cindy8 Fri 06-Mar-20 01:24:58

I think Cietdh should read her post back to herself till the penny drops that it sounds like shes having a tantrum because she wants it all her way, and why through the ivf back at her god knows why you would do that! Just be glad you are a grandma because of it.

Txquiltz Fri 06-Mar-20 02:51:24

This thread has weighed on my mind. IVF, no matter who paid for it, did not guarantee that pregnancy. I am certain her doctor explained that to her. The pregnancy just might have been unique unto itself . Even DNA testing could not disprove it assuming the egg and sperm were theirs. That baby may not only be a miracle, but rather a special miracle. Let's leave money out totally.

Ceitdh Fri 06-Mar-20 02:52:14

Sigh. Ok i have tried explaining the situation but i am just going to leave instead. Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts but I am not up to reading all the attacks. I wish you all well.

Nansnet Fri 06-Mar-20 05:10:57

Ceitdh, I do hope all will be well with your daughter, and that she gets to enjoy her first mother's day, however she chooses to spend it. I'm sure, even if she spends it with her husband and baby, there will be a little part of her that will miss spending it with her own lovely mum, and changing traditions that you've all enjoyed for years. It's probably why she's not been able to make up her mind yet.

Ceitdh has been kind enough to return and explain her reasons for feeling the way she does (which I can totally understand), and also to explain her knee-jerk reaction, as we all say things in the spur of the moment, that we don't really mean, when we are upset. It's such a shame that after that some people still feel the need to post harsh comments, which are totally unnecessary.

Ceitdh, even though many of us here may not have agreed with your thoughts on this issue, it doesn't mean that we don't understand how you feel. Many of us have had to overcome the same feelings and similar situations.flowers