Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I continue living knowing contact with my family is over?

(55 Posts)
Misty22 Wed 25-Mar-20 23:47:22

Hello everyone,
I hardly know where to start. To cut a very long story short, I have suffered for a number of years from very unkind cruel treatment from my DD and SIL. There are two grandchildren involved whom I never get to see. Maintaining contact with them is rendered difficult as I can only write to them. Email addresses or mobile numbers are not made available to me. Their mother does not want the grandmother/grandchildren bond to develop as she wants to punish me. When I write to the children they are not encouraged to reply so they don't. They are 10 and 12 yrs old. I feel that I must try all I can to keep the contact with them going as they are not in any way responsible for any of this mess and I wouldn't want them to think that I do not love them or later on in life wonder if grandma gave up on them. But I am now becoming more and more affected by the situation which is taking a toll on my health as the worry, pain and despair saps my energy, gives me sleepless nights and in short ruins my life. I must do something. The relationship mother-daughter is well and truly over. She said so and is behaving accordingly. I am already dead in her heart and what I will leave behind financially is being looked forward to. I have even been told that I can't leave my choice of sums to charity and that she will do what she wants with my money when I am dead, therefore expecting to inherit in full.
I am only in my mid-sixties but feel my life is over already even though it should really be a time for enjoyment after a lifetime of work. I spend Christmas, birthdays, mothers days alone. Two bereavements, illness and now the coronavirus situation do not suggest to DD and SIL that they should perhaps pick up the phone which hasn't rung for well over 10 years. Phoning them is no use as they do not answer. If I text them I get a very short 3 word polite, cold reply, otherwise nothing. I have suffered years of abuse and cruelty from two very selfish individuals I am ashamed to call family. If they read this they will recognise themselves.
I know some of you will say that I am better off without such a family but facing life without my DD and GDD doesn't bear thinking about. I now have not seen any of them for over 8 months, was barred from the children's birthdays and school functions without being given a reason. Simply sent a text asking me not to attend and to respect their decision. I live alone and have had no-one in my life for over 10 years. I am not British and only have 2 remaining relatives both living abroad, elderly and sick. I left my home country many years ago when I was in my late teens and would not consider life anywhere else but here now. Life has been hard. I studied for a Degree whilst bringing up my DD alone after what I believed was a friendly divorce then we settled in another part of the country for my first professional position. DD settled down, made new friends, saw her father regularly. I opened our home to him and he stayed with us for each one of his many regular visits. I encouraged and fostered her relationship with her father. Little did I know that he was intending to take her love away from me and was actively brainwashing her even during his visits while she was growing up with me. She totally believed everything she was told and still does and that was the beginning of the end for life as we knew it. She readily admits her father is extremely vindictive but is behaving in the same way herself.
I feel my health is deteriorating and depression is setting in. Can anyone help me please find a way forward? Thank you.

V3ra Fri 27-Mar-20 18:27:11

Misty 22 such a sad state of affairs.

Definitely change your will so just your grandchildren inherit.
That keeps it in the family.
I wouldn't tell your daughter you've done this, it would just give her something else to get angry about.
It's none of her business anyway.

I'd say send cards or little gifts to the children occasionally but don't try and communicate with the adults.
To do so just perpetuates your bad relationship with them and does you no good at all.

Look outside your family for a purpose in life, there's so much to do for people who will appreciate you.

Very best wishes xx

junie1 Sun 29-Mar-20 11:17:42

Hi misty
What degree was you studying for.
Did you work, and what hobbies do you have. Let’s concentrate on the positives.

Big hugs
Junie

Pikachu Sun 29-Mar-20 11:49:15

I totally agree with those who say you should use your money to make life better for yourself. If it was me, I’d sell up, move away and not tell your daughter where you have gone. That is unless you have lots of friends and a good support network where you are.

No way would I leave her money. Instead I would put it in trust for your grandchildren when they reach 21.

angiemary64 Sun 29-Mar-20 15:17:06

I am in a very similar situation. I have 2 daughters. Their father was a drunk/alcoholic. I divorced him when my daughters were 11 and 8.
Since then l have had good relationships with them, being there through quite serious Post Natal Depression for my eldest, a benign brain tumor with the other, plus the usual babysitting, sleepovers, etc.
I am particularly close to the little girl of 10 who is the daughter of my eldest. Our relationship started on day one. I found myself staying overnight st my daughters for most of the first 3 months of this little girls life. As l lived close by l had to be there as my daughter was convinced that she just wasn't able to be a Mum, l exlpained to her that she was ill and that the baby needed to be close to her until she was better, and l promised her that she would be better.
Eventually things improved, but her confidence was very low and her husband was embroiled in an investigatuon at his work, and was often getting home at 10 - 11pm.
I explained to my daughter that she may need to find something just for herself. that she enjoyed, outside the home, in the hope that this would build up her confidence and self esteem.
She eventually found a Gym and went regularly to sessions Then went back to work part time. ,l had my Grandaughter 2 days a week, and often overnight at the weekends.
My daughter trained and passed exams is now a Personal Trainer.
However now l am not allowed to see my Grandaughter, for reasons that are vague accusations of things l am supposed to have said to the little girl. Which are totally untrue. By this time my daughter was divorced.
Five years ago this Easter l had been trying to get in touch with my daughter, as l had made some Easter gifts for them. I kept getting the answer phone, then messages to say she wouldn't be in. I went to their house early on Easter Sunday as l knew that my Grandaughter was to be picked up by her Dad. Luckily l wad able to see her, and as soon as my daughter and l were left alone, she went upstairs, l sat in the living room thinking she had gone to the bathroom. It was quiet for a while, so l went upstairs and found her in her bedroom brushing her hair. I asked her was there something wrong. To which she exploded with accusations of how l had been a terrible mother.
I was so shocked , and she actually said "..and dont look shocked !"
She started to push me out of the room, and down the stairs, she was just was so angry and l was actually frightened, but l said l wouldnt go until l knew what l had done, to this she picked up the phone, and rang 999 l dont know whether she got through to anyone or not, but she said that " there is a violent woman in my house and she wont go." I was extremely upset by this was blubbering by now , she threw the phone down , picked up my boots threw them out of the front door and bodily shoved me out. I since found out that my ex husband, her father, had been staying there for a few days.
He had 'retired' . Now after having not much time for either of his daughters or Grandchildren he was there. From that day l have been pushed further and further away, and the things that l am supposed to have said/done have become more and more ridiculous. Apparently l am an alcoholic, a chainsmoker, l steal from shops,never smoked and rarely drink, and stealing well l wouldnt have the nerve ! Although l know that he has and still does, all of the above.. and the most shocking thing was when at 10 pm on a Sunday night l had a Policewoman come to my front door saying that my ex husband had seen me scratching his car and his van which were both parked outside my daughters home.
How do l sort this out, ?l have no chance whatsoever as my daughter will not listen to anything negative about her father. She does know that he has done some wicked things in the past, but l have never tried to stop her seeing him. He is so very manipulative and l believe that he has manipulated my Grandaughter into saying things that now they have stopped me seeing her.
I applied to Court for a Child arrangement order. My daughter didnt turn up, nor did she come to 2 mediation sessions that were arranged. My ex son in law said to me, " l dont know why, but she actually hates you ! " He did try at first to help me get to see my Grandaughter, but seems to now to have succombed to my daughters commands. I saw her one day in Town and l spoke to her, she completely ignored me.
Talking to other Grandmas, l have found that this is not uncommon for Mothers who have been through thick and thin for their children while suffering emotional abuse from husbands, that they are turned on in this cruel way. I have been told that l shouldn't have protected them so much from the sheer nastiness of my ex.. I tried to leave the door ajar , so that there would be a chance for us to communicate again one day, but she has told bare faced lies in Court. The pain is has many depths. Misty 22 l hope and pray that you get some relief in knowing that you did what you could as a mother. Sending you kind thoughts.