Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I be offended?

(115 Posts)
LindyR Tue 28-Jul-20 15:46:34

I live in a small street where one side are rather expensive houses and my side which are flats. We have lived here and raised our children for over 22 years. Two or three of our neighbours are very friendly whilst the others completely ignore us. Their children were privately educated while our were not. The point of my post is that twice we were approached by 2 neighbours asking if we wanted to buy their old cars. One whose father had recently died! When we refused they said ‘ It wasn’t a very good car anyway!’ I was furious! It was obviously good enough for us! They also tried to sell us an old bike when they were clearing out their shed. My DH is a mountain biker, owns 3 expensive bikes and tried to say no. They said ‘just take it as we want rid of it’ They insisted and we eventually said we’d give it to a friend. A few months later our neighbour came over and asked why we hadn’t paid him for the bike! Another neighbour recently trained in the same profession as myself and I met her at an event. I tried to speak to her but she blanked me. Why do people who think they have more money than others behave like we are trash. My DH has a doctorate but it’s not known in our street. Both my children and I have degrees and have good careers. Would that change their opinion? Or is it all about the money?

specki4eyes Sun 02-Aug-20 05:58:57

Posts on here never fail to reinforce my decision to leave Britain.

absent Sun 02-Aug-20 06:09:39

Your neighbours sound completely ridiculous, rather pathetic and pretty desperate for confirmation that they are somehow superior. I don't think the latter is likely to be forthcoming from anywhere. Remember that line of Oscar Wilde's about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

grandMattie Sun 02-Aug-20 06:15:13

specki4eyes

Posts on here never fail to reinforce my decision to leave Britain.

Don’t worry. The rest of the world is just as bad if not worse. You Just have to get to know them.

absent Sun 02-Aug-20 06:17:00

Coolgran65 "Well, I didn't buy my doctorate. I suppose I must have done some satisfactory work." What a completely absurd remark!

Furret Sun 02-Aug-20 06:46:01

Why on earth should this offend you?

Baggs Sun 02-Aug-20 09:00:09

If you have to ask whether you should be offended, the answer is no. It would be beneath you.

Take it in your stride and shrug off the stupidity/snobbishness.

janeainsworth Sun 02-Aug-20 09:03:46

specki Posts on here never fail to reinforce my decision to leave Britain.

Are you referring to the OP’s condescending, patronising neighbours, or the posters who are taking unnecessary umbrage on her behalf? grin

timetogo2016 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:23:58

They may have a big house and money,but what they haven`t got is class/decency or respect.
Where you clearly have in abundance.
And next time they offer you something politly inform them you don`t need their charity as you and dh have a healthy income.

Harris27 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:31:59

So this time we’ve just been through has taught people nothing. We have just been through such a sad time and still going through it and it has taught some people nothing at all. You hold your head up high and know you are the genuine decent people and they are the shallow ones.

Alexa Sun 02-Aug-20 10:12:46

I don't like being patronised . I would like to be offered a really valuable free gift with no strings attached but I'd suspect it was a scam.

Alexa Sun 02-Aug-20 10:15:05

Lindy R, you are a swan cygnet lost among a flock of ducklings.

specki4eyes Mon 03-Aug-20 12:30:31

janeainsworth in answer to your question....all of the above.
And I've lived in France for 18 years and have NEVER encountered the ridiculous snobbery referred to by the OP. 'Rented flats on one side, posh houses on the other'....oh please! Grow up!

janeainsworth Mon 03-Aug-20 14:55:26

Well to be fair Specki I’ve lived most of my life in UK & neither have I.
Snobbery is often perceived, rather than intended or actual.

Daisymae Mon 03-Aug-20 15:16:10

Actually I have never encountered anything like this in my life, people are people wherever you happen to live in the world. I think that most responses are clear, avoid these people. It's not snobbery just plain and simple stupidity.