Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I interfere with son's relationship

(86 Posts)
Greg37 Mon 25-Jul-22 19:52:50

My 30 something son was divorced after 3 years of marriage because his wife had an affair. He is now in a new relationship with a lovely girl but I'm scared it will all go wrong again. I know he loves her but I'm afraid that he's not working hard enough on their relationship. He doesn't treat her or take her out very often. I've tried to suggest things but he says she's ok with things. Recently they seem to spend more time with separate friends. I'm worried that she might leave him if he doesn't value her more. What should I do- ask if things are ok or leave them to it?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Jul-22 19:54:21

Don’t say anything, he is 30 and he has to be responsible for his relationships. Please don’t make any suggestions to ‘help’ him.

rosie1959 Mon 25-Jul-22 19:54:34

Definitely leave them to it

Madgran77 Mon 25-Jul-22 19:55:55

Don't say anything. Get to know her, be friendly, suggest a coffee together. Normal things to do to make someone welcome. Make yourself available and wait. |If she or he wants to talk they will.

But it is their relationship

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jul-22 19:59:07

Stay out of it.

Summerlove Mon 25-Jul-22 20:01:10

Stay so far out of it.

Your instincts are kind - but neither of them will thank you for interfering.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 20:04:00

He is a big boy now. Cut the apron strings and the umbilical cord and let him lead his life as he will. If he messes it up, then tough, he has to learn from the experience, or perhaps not.

Anything you do or say will only make a bad situation worse.

Pammie1 Mon 25-Jul-22 20:04:35

You would be stepping into a minefield. It must be difficult for you, having seen his first marriage break up, but best to stay out of it.

Sara1954 Mon 25-Jul-22 20:06:54

I probably would, but we have the sort of relationship where we say things to each other without taking the slightest offence.
Obviously he wouldn’t take any notice of me, but it wouldn’t stop me trying.

M0nica Mon 25-Jul-22 20:20:34

I can disccuss anything with DS, but I have always chosen never to discuss his personal relationships. It has always struck me as an intimacy too far and a subject that should not be discussed between parent and child, unless brought up by the person, considered to need help - and even then, I would be very wary of encouraging them, possibly at a time when they are very upset, because they might talk about things that with retrospect they wished they hadn't. Better to direct them to a Counsellor.

Sara1954 Mon 25-Jul-22 20:28:17

I certainly wouldn’t want to get into anything deep, but I would probably tell him to buck his ideas up and spoil the girl a bit.
As I said, he would most likely ignore me, but he certainly wouldn’t take any offence.

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jul-22 20:31:40

No no no. Keep out. Unless of course you want him living with you forever more?

Greg37 Mon 25-Jul-22 20:50:40

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice. It's so hard standing by and leaving them to live their lives isn't it.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jul-22 20:57:17

No not really. You had your turn to make choices. It’s his now.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Jul-22 21:31:53

Um no, he’s a grown up.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jul-22 21:38:02

NO NO NO not your business ….he’s 30 leave him be to do what ever is right for them if it goes pearshape it wasn’t meant to be

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice. It's so hard standing by and leaving them to live their lives isn't it at 30 you shouldn’t even know what he’s doing let alone monitoring his relationships even with the best will in the world
Let go

Hithere Mon 25-Jul-22 21:47:20

May I ask why you are asking a forum if you should interfere?

You already know you are not sugar coating this by calling it helping, guiding or assisting your son

Hithere Mon 25-Jul-22 21:48:35

You already know the answer

agnurse Mon 25-Jul-22 22:19:34

As a parent, you should NEVER be getting involved in your children's relationships and as an AC you should NEVER be asking your parents to get involved in your relationships.

A parent's instinct is to protect a child. That's normal. That's okay. That's what parents are supposed to do. But it also means that parents are not objective third parties when it comes to their children.

If your son and his partner are having issues, it's for them to sort out - without you.

VioletSky Mon 25-Jul-22 22:25:48

Summerlove

Stay so far out of it.

Your instincts are kind - but neither of them will thank you for interfering.

I agree

pandapatch Mon 25-Jul-22 22:34:31

NO!!

Shelflife Mon 25-Jul-22 23:38:31

No! Leave him to his life . You are obviously finding it difficult to step away - but step away you must. Please do that and I wish you well.

heath480 Tue 26-Jul-22 01:38:54

Stay out of it and definitely don’t ask his girlfriend for coffee! What a barmy idea!

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jul-22 04:08:25

You should have stepped away at 20 not be asking at 30 poor chap

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jul-22 06:44:24

Do be silent.
My neighbour is now estranged from her son because she couldn’t be keep her thoughts to herself.