Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Double loss and feeling fragile

(33 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 24-Feb-22 23:57:25

My mother died at the end of January and, due to a family member being mentally unable to cope, mum’s last few weeks were quite a traumatic time for me. However, my mum was almost 93 and it was not unexpected. However, while I was at my mother’s side my foster son’s wife gave birth, extremely prematurely (less than 25 weeks), to twin girls. Weighing in at just over 500 and 600 grams each we knew the chances of their survival were very slim, but tonight I got the call to say the little one has died. ? The other little girl is making headway, but has all the usual difficulties associated with extremely premature birth and her health continues to be of concern.

Both losses are caught up, one with the other, and to be honest I’m feeling almost numb, as if my emotions can’t cope with anything else. I’ve barely cried and yet I feel such a weight of sadness within and feel very, very fragile right now.

In addition to the above I have two other things going on that I’m not able to talk about, but both will have huge repercussions for our family if things go wrong. I’m trying not to be a Cassandra, but both of these things had bad outcomes last time and so I’m dreadfully afraid that history may repeat itself. I’m usually an open book, but these secrets are not mine to share, so my husband and I are having to shore each other up without the support we usually receive from our friends.

kittylester Fri 25-Feb-22 11:47:06

Good post anno, well said.

GagaJo Fri 25-Feb-22 13:06:04

grannyactivist

Thank you all for your kind comments. And yes, GagaJo, my condolences to you too.

My relationship with my mother was not without difficulty and she had been ill and frail for many years, so processing her life and death will take some time - and I expected that. But the raw emotion of childhood memories re-surfacing has taken me by surprise, and not only me; my older brother had a meltdown because our mum had always refused to answer his (very valid) questions about painful aspects of our childhood - and on the day of her funeral he finally had to accept that he would never receive the answers he craves. He arrived at, but almost didn’t come in to the funeral service, and I had to use all my powers of persuasion to get him to attend and join us at the wake afterwards.

Life can be so complicated.

I could have written much of this post myself GA. My mother and I have never really got on, but I'm glad I was able to spend her last couple of weeks with her. I hope I helped her feel that I loved her.

My brother also had a breakdown (in the midst of his severe illness) at her death. He was mostly unable to visit her in her last days, due to his own hospitalisation. Hard.

My mum isn't having a funeral. We will scatter her ashes once my brother is fully recovered, probably not until the summer. Hopefully by that point, we will be able to celebrate her life, rather than being felled by grief.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 25-Feb-22 14:15:02

So sorry, grannyactivist and GagaJo to hear of what you are both going through. Sending you both flowers and [hugs]

JaneJudge Fri 25-Feb-22 14:20:51

Oh you poor thing sad that all sounds so hard. Not only the tragedy of the little girl's death but also the worry of the future for her sister and Mum and Dad too. You must be kind to yourself xx flowers

luluaugust Fri 25-Feb-22 15:22:46

I am so sorry you are having a difficult time flowers

Kate1949 Sat 26-Feb-22 10:00:24

Sorry for both of you and anyone else struggling in this way. flowers

DanniRae Sat 26-Feb-22 10:35:48

From me flowers to both of you x