Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My husbands funeral tomorrow how will I cope?

(134 Posts)
1summer Wed 31-Aug-22 20:56:58

Sorry to trouble you but its my husbands funeral tomorrow and I am having a blip! I have organised everything with my children and they keep saying it will be a wonderful celebration of his life. They did say they would stay with me tonight but said I would be fine but I am not. I feel sick and shaky thinking I can’t go through with it, it seems so final.
Visitors today tell me that after tomorrow I can start grieving I can start a journey of recovery. I want to shout no no no, I don’t want to be on this journey and will never recover.
I almost feel like running away and not going tomorrow but I won’t I have to do this for my family.
I just want him back.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 02-Sep-22 10:37:27

Just read this thread for the first time today, but thinking of you now. Sending flowers and hugs to you, 1summer.

Greyduster Fri 02-Sep-22 10:53:31

I’m so glad you and your lovely family got through yesterday okay, Isummer. The day after DH’s I just wanted to be left alone. It’s not going to be easy, but you will find the strength to put one foot in front of the other with the help of family and friends. I am not easily moved to tears, even now, but, four months on, it’s the random acts of kindness and generosity, and there have been many, from people we knew and hardly knew that tend to tip me over the edge.
An arm around your shoulder, dear lady.

Aveline Fri 02-Sep-22 11:35:56

Sounds like you and do many others gave him a wonderful send off. It will be nice to reflect on how well thought of he was. I'm sure family will be rallying round. No rush for anything at all. Take your time and see how you feel.

Shelflife Fri 02-Sep-22 13:02:31

Thank you for coming back to us - very thoughtful of you. So many people here have you in their thoughts , I hope that helps just a little. I have not been in your position so can only imagine how you feel, but I send you strength and my thoughts. Look after yourself and take advantage of any help offered.

Blossoming Fri 02-Sep-22 13:54:15

Glad you managed to get through the day okay flowers

Fleurpepper Fri 02-Sep-22 14:35:30

Well done you. I am so glad the day went as well as it could, and that you found you could cry. Wishing you all the best for the nex few weeks and months, as it will be hard, very hard at times. Take care and look after yourself. x

Norah Fri 02-Sep-22 15:02:13

You did so well. Take care. flowers

SueDonim Fri 02-Sep-22 18:42:41

I’m glad you coped with a very difficult day, Isummer. I hope the stories that others related to you will give you some comfort in the future. Take care of yourself. flowers