Gransnet forums

Chat

Infiltration

(302 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 04-Dec-18 05:30:21

I think we have an infiltration of ‘jokers’ on the threads at the moment Well of course it may be the same person with a variety of names but I have noticed four (at least) new names who are ‘ having fun’ with us
I presume reporting them and letting Gransnet sort them out is the only way forward
Has anyone else noticed ?
We need a sin bin

Farmor15 Sat 29-Dec-18 19:01:29

I think before anyone jumps to the conclusion that a post is a wind-up, they should do a quick check in the search bar for poster’s name. If they have posted previously, on other topics, it’s unlikely they would put up a joke post.
2 current ones have had lots of doubters, but are quite possibly genuine. Unless someone decides to join Gransnet, hang around for a few months, posting occasionally, then start a wind-up one. It doesn’t fit the school holiday scenario.
The search facility isn’t great, but can usually tell if someone has posted previously.

holdingontometeeth Sat 29-Dec-18 19:38:55

Where’s the Infiltration Squad when you need them.

Rumour has it that they suffered heavy casualties on an unrelated thread

BlueBelle Wed 02-Jan-19 14:56:52

The thread about the lady who had beaten cancer and wanted a party has been deleted I m so glad no one got into sharing empathy and personal stories
Please be careful

Jalima1108 Wed 02-Jan-19 15:02:12

Oh good.
I thought it was very odd and didn't contribute.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Jan-19 15:04:45

The cancer Party thread made me feel uncomfortable. It is becoming tiresome to continually check each OP, isn't that what GNHQ should be doing?

Anniebach Wed 02-Jan-19 15:08:04

I don’t post now if a new name, feel guilty because it could be genuine , but it could be yet another lie

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jan-19 15:17:58

I knew it wasn't genuine ! There are some truly horrible individuals around.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Jan-19 15:18:24

I asked HQ to look at it as it seemed very odd and I didn’t want it to hurt anyone who is close to the problem

Marydoll Wed 02-Jan-19 16:29:15

I can't understand why anyone would get a "buzz" out of tarting a fake thread. confused.

oldbatty Wed 02-Jan-19 16:45:39

cancer party.....how low

Mapleleaf Wed 02-Jan-19 19:27:41

No, I didn't contribute to that thread, either. It just didn't ring true.

holdingontometeeth Wed 02-Jan-19 19:57:44

There are several going on right now.
I see GN wiped more than a few of you out on the one thread.
Tut Tut.
Its in GN to let them through. It creates interest from those who take it at face value.
Don't forget, the P* takers are able to read this too.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Jan-19 21:18:04

Have you had a drink tooth person ?

Mapleleaf Wed 02-Jan-19 21:26:33

Indeed, holdingon, "don't forget"! ?

lemongrove Wed 02-Jan-19 23:47:48

Annie I agree, I check the name, and if a new poster and it sounds just a bit ‘off’ then it’s not worth bothering with.
It is a shame, as it could be genuine, but we have just had too many that aren’t recently.

grannyqueenie Thu 03-Jan-19 00:04:52

I’ve done that too, lemon and annie, then I’ve felt guilty as I’ve seem kinder souls than I am comment. I won’t feel so bad when I remember there’s at least 3 of us biding our time!

Marydoll Thu 03-Jan-19 00:10:19

Make that four!

Anniebach Thu 03-Jan-19 08:29:57

The forum has changed, there was always war on the politics thread but now aggression creeps in no matter the topic.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Jan-19 08:36:37

Anniebach it will calm down we just have to be vigilant and if it seems too strange to be true be cautious in answering anything other than a bland sentence

TerriBull Thu 03-Jan-19 08:36:39

You are right Annie, I just started an ongoing book thread and one delightful poster, said you need "to get a life" shock Happily everyone else seems to think it's a good idea

Anniebach Thu 03-Jan-19 08:56:09

TerriBull how nasty , anyone that nasty must have a sad life.

Mapleleaf Thu 03-Jan-19 09:59:19

That's awful, Terribull ?. I think your idea is fantastic.

TerriBull Thu 03-Jan-19 10:10:22

Thank you Mapleleaf, it's not original I stole it from MN grin However, it seems to have drawn a lot of new reading posters on to it which I think is good.

I can never quite understand why some people go on to threads, on a subject that they are possibly not interested in and comment in that way. Personally I don't like sewing or knitting that sort of thing, but appreciate plenty of people do so I wouldn't go on such a thread as I've nothing to contribute. Similarly someone came on to one of the Genealogy threads, way back, certainly one of my interests and said something along the lines of "all of this doesn't interest me I don't know why anyone can be bothered with it" Fair enough their opinion, but why the need to make such a comment to people who do like perusing that subject.

Mapleleaf Thu 03-Jan-19 10:12:26

I'll add, TerriBull, now I'verevisited your book thread, that that particular posters stock phrase "get a life" is wearing a bit thin and getting tedious, don't you think?

TerriBull Thu 03-Jan-19 10:17:51

Indeed! visions of someone sucking on sour lemons hmm