Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(87 Posts)
12Michael Wed 31-Mar-21 06:10:32

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another twilight start here in Brackley this morning but remains dry.
Yesterdays trip out went OK , called in the bakery shop I use when there cafe is open and got some Hot X buns .
Did a small shop in Sainsburys , anyway noticed the lack of new potatoes on the shelves ,normally by now we would have Jerseys royals on the shelves but nothing yet .
I brought myself a new paper shredder , people were out as seats in the town centre were busy .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Wed 31-Mar-21 06:28:51

Good morning, one and all from a dark but fine Torbay, from where I was delighted to make my escape yesterday, even though it was just for the day and not without a few problems!

First there were road works (replacement of crash barriers) creating tailbacks on the A380, the main road out of here. On arrival at Dartmoor View, I turned on the water, only to discover that there was a leak in the boiler cupboard! Luckily, the site manager was quickly round to fix it temporarily, pending a plumber attending. I also discovered the power had tripped out, creating some “interesting” items in the freezer, which I’d inadvertently forgotten to empty in October! ?

Overall, I completed the tasks I’d set out to do and set off for home, only to be caught in queues at the same road works, with the added annoyance of rush hour drivers seemingly oblivious to the 800 yards, 600 yards, etc signs warning of lane closures, preferring to speed along then cut in at the last minute on the diligent drivers. Nevertheless, it didn’t detract from the joy of a long drive on a beautiful day!

A link to the site:-

www.haulfrynholidayhomes.co.uk/our-parks/south-west-england/dartmoor-view

I really appreciated the kind wishes for my day out from you folk yesterday morning and I hope you were able to make the most of the welcome sunshine. ☀️ Thank you and I hope you enjoy whatever today brings. ?

grandMattie Wed 31-Mar-21 06:31:23

Good morning from a cloudless E Kent. We are promised lots of sunshine ☀️ today before the cold returns.
Glad you enjoyed your day out yesterday, Mick.
I made a Simnel cake yesterday and need to make some hot + buns for Friday.
The tai chi outside went well, all the ladies attended. It was a bit damp underfoot but lovely to be out. Lots of rocks in the plane tree and very noisy church bells in the clock ringing out the 1/4s. I’d forgotten how much one of the ladies irritates me, so didn’t stay on for a drink on the green.
The quilt is coming on well, should be finished soon, but had a lot of hand sewing ?.
Got the chiropodist today. Probably going to the garden centre and Lidl in Dover, dropping off my friend’s Easter egg and birthday presents.
sheep, I hope you are feeling a bi happier today, that the bull is in the mend and not missing Pinchy’s pretty splints too much.
Have a good day, find a few ???and smile today.

NotAGran55 Wed 31-Mar-21 06:32:01

Good morning from West Berkshire. Looks to be a fine day again.

Food bank volunteering this morning thank goodness as I’m going stir crazy . I need to get something to do every day of the week , I miss paid working so much .

Mick Waitrose have had Jersey Royals in bags for several weeks now , but not loose ones .

Have a good day one and all , but be careful whilst out and about.

Scentia Wed 31-Mar-21 06:33:35

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it feels cool.
Had yesterday off work and also have today off. DD and DGS have been staying for a few days, but they are off home today as Daddy is coming hone later❤️
I have the dentist this morning and then I will pop to DD to help her clean up in readiness for her DH coming home later.
I am excited to be planning having friends over for lunch on Good Friday and on Saturday I am meeting DS and DDiL with DGS for a walk at the Attenborough nature reserve near their house. Then on Monday meeting other friends for a walk in the countryside.
I never did that much before lockdown so maybe it has made me into a social butterfly like my DD and DH ?
I do hope everyone is feeling well and this sunshine has really put a smile on your faces. Take care ❤️?

Ashcombe Wed 31-Mar-21 06:34:00

Yes, please, to the delicious looking cake, grandMattie and the freesias are the finishing touch!

grandMattie Wed 31-Mar-21 06:35:08

Noisy rooks in the tree ?

Beechnut Wed 31-Mar-21 06:37:07

Good Morning all from a dry Severnside where it promises to be another nice day. So warm yesterday that the heating stayed off.
Good that your trip out was ok Mick, it’s nice to do something different.

I woke to a email scam about car tax not being paid. Funny not.

I have DH cousin coming to visit this morning so I’m looking forward to seeing him. We often chat about family history stuff.

Let’s hope everyone has a better day today and take care ?

Beechnut Wed 31-Mar-21 06:41:56

Put that cake away Mattie it looks so tempting I want to eat it ?

Gagagran Wed 31-Mar-21 06:56:23

Morning all from a clear sky and promised sunshine here on the south coast.

I was not surprised to hear that yesterday was the warmest March day since 1968. It was glorious and just perfect for the long awaited visit of my DS. I made his favourite pasta dish and we ate in the garden for the first time this year. His visit and the weather really bucked up DH in his recuperation and we all enjoyed a catch up on news. A joy filled day. sunshine

Hoping DGD might turn up today once she has caught up with some sleep on her return from University on Monday. That will be another cheering visit to which we are both looking forward.

Nothing else much on the agenda. Pottering and faffing will be the order of the day I expect.

Hope everyone enjoys another lovely day. sunshine

kittylester Wed 31-Mar-21 07:08:46

Good morning all from a brightening North Leicestershire.

Our cleaner is coming today and I intend to make a cake as 2 neighbours are coming for brew in the garden.

Our new neighbour is having lots of work done to the house si there are lots of comings and goings.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

Kalu Wed 31-Mar-21 07:09:30

Good morning from a calm start to the day with the promise of 13deg and sunny spells to come here in Glasgow. Thankfully my knee is on the mend and I am looking forward to gently pottering in the garden.

Enjoying my kick start espresso as I mull over some plans for the day.
Good news from GD1 yesterday when her teacher told her she did very well in the Spanish exam she had just sat! I do feel for children, missing so much education and now under pressure, taking important important exams. Thé relief yesterday gave her such a boost.

Have a pleasant day all and to those of you now released, enjoy your sense of freedom. We are still cautiously waiting at the starting gate. Garden visits to enjoy soon. ?

brook2704 Wed 31-Mar-21 07:12:10

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s grey and raining just now and forecast to stay wet for most of the day hmm...
I think Nicola announced yesterday that garden centres are opening soon in Scotland - that’ll keep me busy for a while.
That cake looks yummy GM well done, I do like Simnel cake .. well I like most cakes actually!
This morning DH is taking the car to the garage, it’s developed an intermittent loudish squeaking noise so hope they can find it even though yesterday it didn’t squeak at all but the day before it was every few seconds.
The holiday park looks good Ashcombe another lovely place to visit. Hope your next trip isn’t quite as problematic
Lovely plans scentia - enjoy
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, hope today is gentle and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Nannagarra Wed 31-Mar-21 07:17:02

Good morning from the Sefton coast where I’ve just listened to a spectacular dawn chorus.
Yesterday, in the glorious weather, we went for a long walk with DS and his dog, returning for chocolate cake and a game of frisbee in the garden. Her groomed fur, presented in an old feeder, is proving very attractive to birds busy building their nests.
Tidying of the garden continues. As I remove moss and weeds from the borders I can smell the hyacinths I casually planted, not thinking they’d bloom. I used to bin the bulbs after flowering at Christmas, having grown them indoors over water in a vase. Gosh, when I think of how many I’ve thrown away!
I’m sorry to learn about Pinchy - valiant to the end. You couldn’t have done more for her s&c.
Sending positive vibes and hopes that everyone has the best day possible.
?????

Pantglas2 Wed 31-Mar-21 07:22:09

?Oh what a glorious morning ? ?in lovely north Wales where I’m enjoying the chamberpot ☕️in bed listening to the birdies flitting back and forth to the birdhouses either side of our bedroom window!

That cake looks delishus GrandMattie! I’ve seen Jersey Royals in Waitrose as well Mick although I didn’t buy them as I’m trying to keep off carbs most days so that my summer clothes will fit!

Spent yesterday painting the outside of the summerhouse and then decanted the contents onto the lawn for a de-spidering of the inside!

Managed to get it all done in time for a sit down in there with the evening sun encouraging a refreshing glass of chilled Chardonnay before sloshing some in the chicken risotto. Polished off the rest indoors whilst watching ??????? win in the footie- perfick!

Hope all is well with you today - ? for those going through tough times.

Sheepandcattle Wed 31-Mar-21 07:23:46

Good morning Mick and all from a mild, dry Wiltshire. Lovely to read about all your ‘jollies out’ yesterday, especially as the weather seemed to be celebrating our new freedom too! My first ‘freedom treat’ will be on Sunday when my DS, DiL and GD are driving down for the day. I haven’t seen them in the flesh since September and I can’t wait. The weather forecast is sadly rubbish for the weekend so we’ll have to take cover in the barn but at least there’s plenty of room for 3 year old to run about.
We had fairly good news about Bogdon the bull yesterday. The hoof trimmer found a huge abscess in one of his feet, caused by a stone that had worked its way into the hoof. This has all be cut away and cleaned now and a block stuck on to take the pressure off the bad side. This was the likely cause of the infection that the vet diagnosed so, all being well, he should be on the road to recovery. I hope so.
Busy day lined up; the 250 lambs need their first vaccine and drench today. It’s going to be noisy and chaotic as we have to get the ewes and lambs into the shed, split the ewes from the lambs and run them through the race to treat them. We also need to vaccinate the bull and 4 new cows that we bought last week. One of the new cows has been named ‘Iris’ in honour of grandMatties brave granddaughter!
Enjoy all your gadding-about everyone and make the most of this warm spell!

Gelisajams Wed 31-Mar-21 07:29:36

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where the March weather is going out like a lamb.
Today is the day I finally become an OAP! Not that I like that idea but I will relish getting my long awaited pension. First part payment in a fortnight then 4 weekly from mid May. They do like to drag these these things out. The bus pass has to wait a little longer as I have not got my new photo driving licence back from DVLA and I need photo ID to apply for it. Not that I’m planning on going on a bus anytime soon!
DH informs me he has booked us a rowing boat on Windermere so it’s as well it looks like a pleasant day weather wise. They opened their bookings on Monday. Nice timing!
I got an e mail yesterday reminding me payment for our cottage booked for July is now due. The holiday is starting to feel like a reality now.
?for all with ill health, worries and problems.
Take care stay safe and look out for ?????

Sar53 Wed 31-Mar-21 07:34:17

Good morning from a sunny Essex by the sea. Another glorious day is forecast although it does bring out the crowds who seem to have forgotten about social distancing .
DH is to have a biopsy after seeing the Dermatologist yesterday, not sure when but I don't think he will have to wait long.
I had a lovely long chat with DD2 and DGD5 yesterday on Facetime, it was good to see their faces and to see how much Charlotte has changed over the last year.
I have no plans today apart from vacuuming through and a walk in the sun.
Enjoy the nice weather whilst it lasts and find a ? in whatever you do.

BlueSapphire Wed 31-Mar-21 07:43:36

Good morning from a bright Northampton, set to be another lovely day. Another day in the garden, shall cut the front grass - it's garden waste collection tomorrow, so might as well fill the bins up.

The naughty cats have been at my knitting bag overnight and pulled my current knitting out - I can't see any damage done or dropped stitches. My own fault for not putting it away overnight. Perhaps they just wanted to do a few rows to help out!

Did the back grass yesterday afternoon after DS had called to pick up the DGDs'' Easter Eggs. He is so excited to be having his first jab tomorrow! Then sat in the garden and read for a couple of hours.

Have got a load of washing in, and another load waiting; I do like to see washing out on a sunny day! Coffee and the newspaper outside again I think.
Then I must complete the Sainsbury's order for tomorrow. Reading again in the sunshine this afternoon.

Let's make the most of the weather today as it is set to be chilly again for the weekend.

Nannagarra Wed 31-Mar-21 07:46:35

Will you please stop tempting me with pictures of a perfect holiday home and such a beautiful simnel cake? Only joking!!!
Happy birthday Gelisajams. ???

Beauregard Wed 31-Mar-21 07:46:36

Good morning all from Derbyshire where it's currently overcast but another beautiful day in store.

Yesterday's walk took us over the golf course that was on the national news on Monday, following it's golfing event in the dark with illuminated golf balls after golf courses were allowed to reopen. It was a lovely walk - 3 1/2 miles, mostly flat, as I like it!

DH thought better about doing the rotovating yesterday, so it's now planned for this morning. Hopefully the rotovator will start up!

This afternoon I'm meeting my friend - rearranged from last week - a walk with her dogs and a coffee afterwards.

I was so sad to hear about poor Pinchy yesterday. You did your best for her Sheepandcattle. Hope the new bull recovers.

Hope Marydoll is having a better day today ?

Have a good day all

Jaxjacky Wed 31-Mar-21 07:48:56

Good morning Mick and all from S Hants, high cloud which is due to clear for the sun. Good job you visited Ashcombe and sorted the niggles. Cake and quilting, no end to your skills gM, impressive and lots of joyous garden visits for you all. I have a trip to collect ready reads, the vape shop and then more allotmenting. Today is the birthday of my DD’s best friend, I’ve just seen on Facebook that DD has posted a birthday dedication for her friend from a famous UK reggae deejay, how she arranged this I’ll find out later, said friend is overwhelmed.
DH off to work, reminded him to take hay fever tablet, seems to be rife lately.
Have a lovely day all, whatever your plans, thoughts with those struggling ?

Grammaretto Wed 31-Mar-21 07:55:46

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. We don't have your unseasonal heatwave but it was a glorious day for a walk in the woods. I am so lucky to be surrounded by accessible countryside 10 minute walk from my house.

I am glad that Bogdon the bull has been diagnosed. An abscess on the hoof would be enough to make anyone miserable.

Your vet, sheepandcattle sounds quick and attentive. I sometimes wonder if vets would take on human patients.
Aw a cow called Iris smile

How delicious to smell hyacinths as you are weeding Nannagarra and how satisfying to have birds nesting in their houses Pantglas

I posted off Bee-related presents for DGD birthday. I wish I was seeing her in person but I hope to visit during the Easter holidays. Another DGD has a birthday too and I do hope to see her.
I love simnel cake too grandMattie

Amazing how a dose of sunshine can lift our mood.
Wishing you all sunshine sunshine

Urmstongran Wed 31-Mar-21 07:58:51

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s the start of another lovely day. Sadly it’s not going to last much longer! We will be over to my stepfather’s later this afternoon, the usual, taking his groceries and drinking his whisky. I never know whether there’s an ‘e’ in there or not! One I think is for Irish and t’other for Scottish? I must look it up.

Hope Wednesday is good to us all. I have no skills and I see now it’s because grandMattie has has mine as well as her own. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Greyduster Wed 31-Mar-21 08:02:56

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun is battling with cloud this morning, but we are forecast a warm bright South Yorkshire Day. My son and DiL are driving down to have lunch with us in the garden. Very excited. We came home from shopping yesterday and a man was about to put a leaflet through our door about gutter cleaning, so DH asked him for a quote and we had it done there and then as they were finishing a job down the road. Gutters and down pipes hoovered out and pressure washed, facias and window frames cleaned. It was very dirty and now is as smart as a new pin, and a reasonable price.
Sheep that’s good news about Bogdon and must be a weight off your mind! Good luck with the ewes and rams!
Ok I have to get up! Pineapple upside down cake to make! Have the best day you can folks.