Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you wear make up?

(146 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:16:59

Before covid I wouldn’t go anywhere without foundation mascara lipstick, but now it’s just mascara. And actually I love to feel the fresh air on my face, who would have thought!

AmberSpyglass Mon 12-Apr-21 22:57:08

Perfume, nails done and at least tinted lipgloss if not actual lipstick every day. Once or twice a week I’ll do the whole foundation and eye makeup thing. I love it, it’s like playing dress up.

susieq3 Mon 12-Apr-21 23:27:51

Hi Ladies.
Can anyone recommend a good eyebrow pencil. Never seem to have much luck and don’t like those soft centred ones.

misty34 Mon 12-Apr-21 23:59:07

Moisturiser and lip gloss only for me too. Only out to walk dog I don't think he minds.

Saggi Tue 13-Apr-21 06:53:39

Never worn make-up from day 1...... it’s a little fraudulent for me. Watch my mother and older sister do it ... and thought’what s wast of time and money’.Watched my whole family start smoking one after the other and though the same!!! I was always ‘the odd one out’

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Apr-21 07:04:35

Susie I use an eyebrow brush and a Mac eyeshadow. I think it looks more natural.

MissChateline Tue 13-Apr-21 07:21:30

Off to get my hair cut today. Having always had quite a short hair style it needs cutting regularly to keep it in shape. So today is the day when I will not look like I’ve got a dead bush on my head!. And yes I will attempt to remember how to put on a bit of make up to mark the occasion.

lemsip Tue 13-Apr-21 07:48:49

have to do eyebrows as hardley have any due to over plucking years ago....moisturiser tinted and bit of lipstick.

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Apr-21 08:16:54

Bit of blusher, mascara and lippy, that’s my lot these days. If I put more on I feel like a painted lady and hate it!

Grannyguitar Tue 13-Apr-21 09:51:44

Last time I wore make-up was in 2006 - my son's wedding. If people don't like the real me, they're welcome to look the other way!

PernillaVanilla Tue 13-Apr-21 09:59:25

I always wear "full" makeup for work but the aim is just to look a slighty better version of me. At weekends just lip gloss and mascara if I go out of the house.

Geeb Tue 13-Apr-21 17:12:47

I was a beauty therapist so have always worn make- up. As I’ve got older I use it most days using a tinted moisturiser and usually put touché eclat, blusher, eye pencil, a touch of brow liner and a touch of lip balm on- takes all of 10 mins and it makes me feel better and not frighten the horses!? each to their own though.

Geeb Tue 13-Apr-21 17:15:24

I find Mac are very good pencils soft enough but thin, so they give a nice feathery natural look to your brows.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Apr-21 18:45:35

Well, my first use of make up in over a year was a bit of a shock. My skin has gone so saggy, especially round the eyes. Shadows under the eyes particularly bad. Eyebrows non existent (but they were before) and I think I need to find a much paler eye brow powder. My eyesight is so bad that, even using a magnifying mirror I can’t see the detail very well (probably a good thing in some ways). Pleasantly surprised that I still have eyelashes to mascara: really thought they’d left with the eyebrows but they’re still hanging on. Takes longer and longer to apply make up with the result getting less and less if an improvement but I didn’t seem to scare the grandchildren too much. So much easier with the dog who loves me no matter how much of an old crone I look! Then there’s the palaver of taking it all off before bedtimes. Life will be so much easier next week when the grandchildren are back at school, even though it’s been wonderful seeing them again!

justwokeup Tue 13-Apr-21 20:17:57

Just a cautionary tale. I rarely wear make-up but went to tea at my 'bubble's' house last week and decided to make more of an effort. I do have sensitive skin but all my make up had been fine. Unfortunately, the lipstick had obviously aged because, before the end of the night, my lips had swollen and then I spent a week living with painful peeling lips before they recovered. I do have quite a selection of make up but it's all going in the bin and I'll buy it only as I need it in future.

Nannashirlz Wed 14-Apr-21 11:42:42

Before covid I wouldn’t open door if had no face on. Now I only wear if I’m going out to shops etc. If I stay home I don’t wear it. I use Bm and few other from QVC. I do min look. Unless going out lol eeh them were the days. Nothing wrong with making yourself feel good and look good. No matter what your age. A lot of women let themselves go and a lot of us don’t. Each to their own I say. Do what makes you happy and I do want makes me.

Juliepuk Wed 14-Apr-21 15:08:31

I agree with Nannashirlz, do what you like. I do as Nannashirlz, just wear it when going out now and that's only once or twice a week.

ElaineRI55 Fri 16-Apr-21 07:59:35

During lockdown, just a little lipstick for Zoom calls when I remember. Will probably resume tinted moisturiser and lipstick once I'm meeting folk in person again.

nanna8 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:02:38

I wear all in one tinted moisturiser with sunscreen built in every time I go outside. Don’t want to frighten anyone with a pale face. Frighten myself first thing in the morning. At night I would also wear lippy and a bit of eyeliner. I don’t want a sunburnt face or melanomas which is a real danger here.

Keffie12 Sun 18-Apr-21 23:18:13

I wear it most days then in lockdown if I am on Zoom meetings. I made the decision at the beginning of lockdown to not be a slob on Zoom meetings etc as it would be very easy to be so as I love pj's when I got home

I have a couple of easy wear dresses I put on at home that aren't noticeable not wearing a bra with. I do not do bra's at home unless I have company.

Savvy Mon 19-Apr-21 02:34:28

Never. I don't like the feel of anything like that on my skin, I can't even put up with using a moisturiser or a body wash that leaves a residue.