Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange or weird occurences

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Apr-21 22:43:51

Have you ever had a strange or weird thing happen to you, that you still can't understand? Not necessarily spooky, just... unexplainable.

When I was in my teens, I had a secret boyfriend. He was much older than me and would NOT have been approved of.

I used to browse the window of a particular jewellers at this time. Expensive and retro jewellery. There was a ring in the window I always admired but which was way out of my price range. I didn't ever tell anyone about this ring, it was just window shopping.

One day, my secret boyfriend surprised me with a gift. It was 'the ring' (not as an engagement ring, just a gift). Obviously, I loved it, BUT couldn't wear it openly because he was a secret, so I would wear it to bed, but hide it during the day.

One night, while I was asleep, wearing the ring, it disappeared. I searched my bed, my room, the house, but never found it. My bf asked about it and I explained.

I still don't understand a few things about the ring. How did he know THAT ring? I hadn't told him. Had never been to or past that jewellers with him. And where did it go? It vanished overnight without trace.

I am still a bit weirded out by it now. I know the memory can play tricks, but I remember being confused at the time by it all. Unsolved mystery.

Farmor15 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:24:29

My friend's father helped me buy my first car - quite an old one. I had it only about a week and was driving up a short hill over a canal when it stalled and I couldn't start it again. It was 5-20 in busy Friday afternoon traffic but someone helped me push it out of the way and sorted out the minor problem with carburettor and I got going again. I was away for the weekend but when I got home I heard that my friend's father had died suddenly of a heart attack at 5-20 on the Friday - exactly the time the car he helped me buy had broken down!

Willjac123 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:30:05

Icanhandthemback
Agree- I thought the same thing

Farmor15 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:38:03

Icanhandthemback and Willjac - I'm a Catholic and had an aunt who was a nun - or religious sister as they prefer to be called. However, I don't think my aunt would have taken offence to be referred to as a penguin when she wore full habit in her younger days, before nuns started wearing ordinary clothes.

Lexisgranny Tue 13-Apr-21 11:39:09

I had an antique ring with rubies and diamonds that had belonged to my grandmother, which I wore on my right hand and never took off. One evening at home after my evening swim at the gym I realised the ring was no longer on my hand. I rang the gym, and the changing rooms, and the pool were searched and no-one had handed it in. It was agreed that when the pool was drained for cleaning in a few days time, the filter would be checked.

This was during the winter, and we had fires each evening. On the third day, the ring was found sitting in the centre of the hearth, there is no way it could have been missed before, and no reason why I would have taken it off and put it on the hearth. My granddaughter now has it,

Jillybird Tue 13-Apr-21 11:44:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vampirequeen Tue 13-Apr-21 11:47:28

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lexisgranny Tue 13-Apr-21 11:55:13

Oh another thing. My parents were given a chiming wall clock for a wedding present, which my father religiously wound every Sunday morning. This clock chimed in unison with the church clock, and over 45 years, it never stopped or showed the wrong time. Then one morning it stopped. Nothing appeared to be wrong with it, but within an hour my father was told that the friend who had given him the clock had died suddenly at exactly the same time that the clock stopped.
My father gave it an extra wind and it continued as normal.

Bijou Tue 13-Apr-21 11:57:55

I was expecting my daughter to come to stay the next day. That night I dreamed of a policeman examining a black handbag. The next morning the police came to informing me that my daughter had died. Later when clearing her flat I came across the handbag which I had seen in the dream.

Matelda Tue 13-Apr-21 12:02:13

I was driving one day with my DS, two years old at the time. The night before I had watched a TV programme about the Holocaust, and a survivor said that he could not now believe in the existence of God. I was just thinking that he must surely be right and that God could not exist when my DS piped up, "The rainbow, the rainbow!" I said, "What rainbow, darling?" and he said "The cars are all sitting in a rainbow!" Wow. Travelling a rainbow road only visible to a little child. I never found an explanation, and it didn't really alter what I thought about religion. but I thought maybe there would be an important task for me in the future, and there was. It appeared twelve years later, and I've been persevering with it for over twenty years now. How lucky I've been with my life.

muse Tue 13-Apr-21 12:03:37

Not sure if I would class this as strange or weird. It's definitely a lovely comforting thing to happen though.

My lovely daughter and myself quite often choose the same birthday cards for our family members.

BusterTank Tue 13-Apr-21 12:05:28

I had dream many years ago that a woman with blond hair was telling me she was pregnant with my husband baby . As it turned out my husband had an affair with a woman with blond hair , who then told him she was pregnant . Needless to say I divorced him .

GolferGrandma Tue 13-Apr-21 12:07:17

As a young child of 5 or 6 I was trusted to walk to school on my own (wouldn’t be appropriate these days!) it was always drilled into me that if anyone tried to ask me to go with them I was to say “thank you, but I live here” and walk to the nearest house and ask for help. We moved near the town centre, close to a large park where the streets were quite dark at night, and as a teenager I was walking home one night when a car pulled up and a man asked me to join him. I was literally at the entrance to my own drive and so my response was “thank you but I live here”!!!

janipans Tue 13-Apr-21 12:11:43

I had a dream that I was standing on my drive, struggling to get the roof of "my" blue convertible car either up or down (it was stuck!) We were on holiday and passed a similar car to the one in my dream which prompted me to recall it and tell my family the details of my dream. Randomly, my daughters started giggling - I didn't think it was funny but assumed they were playing some sort of game in the back. Anyway, on my birthday a few months later, we went on a mystery tour to "get my present" - a navy blue, Peugeot 206 convertible (luckily with an electric roof!!). That was why the girls had been giggling - it had already been ordered at the time of my dream and the girls were in on the surprise. I had no idea - in fact I didn't think we could afford it. Best dream ever!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:13:01

One of my christening presents was a gold cross and chain.

I was allowed to wear them on special occasions as a child and in between times they were kept in my mother's jewelery box.

When I was seven, cross and chain disappeared. My three year old sister had been known to take things to play with and then hide them, so she was blamed.

She denied having taken them, both then and later, and I always believed her, though our parents didn't.

When I was about 25, the chain appeared one day on the dressing-table in my sister's room, without the cross.

My mother tackled my sister about it, saying that now she would have to admit that it was she who had taken the cross and chain and say where the cross was.

Again my sister insisted that she had never touched either the cross or chain and did not know how they had disappeared or where the chain had come from.

We never did find the cross, but there is no doubt that the chain was the right one, as it had a distinctive pattern and was only long enough to go round a child's neck.

I am still convinced my sister had nothing to do with this, but who took the cross and chain, and why on earth return the chain twenty odd years after nicking it?

My father had his consulting-room in our home, so theoretically a patient or drug company representative could have been a theif, but why then bring the chain back?

I could have understood a theif returning both cross and chain if he or she had heard that a small child was being blamed for their loss, but then surely they would have been returned within weeks of having been taken?

Annaram1 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:17:34

Gagajo, did you search the bed frame? It is possible that the ring slipped down at the side of your mattress and got lodged in the bed frame. Worth a look.

Lettice Tue 13-Apr-21 12:21:01

I was on a visit to my mother and sisters. During conversation I mentioned that my son was racing that day (motorcycling). Mum said "I know, you've said that three times", and I realised that I had. Contact with him was intermittent at that time. I did not live near son and had not seen him for some months, but that day I could not stop thinking about him, so I 'phoned and his girlfriend said "I was just about to ring you. He's crashed and is in hospital". The injuries were quite serious, but he recovered. I always know when he is feeling unwell.

b1zzle Tue 13-Apr-21 12:24:24

When I first had Alexa, I asked her to read me a story. She chose the only story that my best friend had written in 2016. I lost that wonderful friend to cancer a year ago and yesterday I asked Alexa to read me another story. She chose the book I had written in 2016...

Damdee Tue 13-Apr-21 12:24:59

25 or more years ago my daughter worked as a young model for teenage mags. One day she arrived at a London station in a rough area, and was consulting her map (no mobile phones then) to see where to go. There were lots of men hanging around and she was nervous. A woman in a bright white jumper (with a black eye) approached her and asked if she could help. She said she'd walk with my daughter to the destination - which she did. They walked up the path together to where the shoot was taking place (private house) and my daughter knocked, then turned to thank the woman. She had disappeared - there were no bushes, no buildings, nowhere she could've hidden so quickly (and why would she?). We have always assumed she was an earth angel - sent to help and protect. I have read that they often wear white clothes or something white.

sazz1 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:27:50

My mother was in hospital with suspected stomach cancer. After lots of tests and camera down etc she was given the all clear so I took my 7 yr old daughter to visit. Mum was being discharged the next day with medication.
As soon as we got in the car my DD started saying granny is going to die in hospital. I told her over and over that granny was coming home tomorrow but she insisted.
The next morning we were all called to the hospital as mum had a blocked artery in her leg. They were going to operate but she had a massive heart attack when they administered the anaesthetic and died just after we got there.
Was it a premonition I don't know but was very strange

Happysexagenarian Tue 13-Apr-21 12:38:54

Two strange incidents come to mind...

When I was 14/15 I often walked home from school with a friend and we'd go to her house for an hour or so to play records. Her mother was at work, her father had died a few years earlier. On one occasion her mother asked her to get some milk on the way home. So when we reached her house she gave me her key and said to go in, turn the light on (it was getting dark) and put the kettle on while she went for the milk. I walked up to the door and went to put the key in the lock. But I couldn't, something stopped me. I don't know what. Something like an invisible hand or barrier that just wouldn't let me do it! When my friend returned I told her what had happened, she looked at me as though I was mad and took the key from me. When she opened the door we were engulfed by a strong smell of gas. If I had gone in and turned the light on I would probably have blown the house up. Her mother had left a gas ring on but not lit when she went to work. But what was it that stopped me opening that door? My friend thought it was her father watching over them.

The second incident was when a work colleague asked me to make her some curtains, so I went to her home to measure up, taking tape measure, note pad, pen etc. It was a lovely period house with high ceilings and big windows so I had to borrow a stepladder to measure the drop of the curtains. I put my notepad on an adjacent cabinet, but when I turned to write it wasn't there, it was on the floor. Naturally I thought I had knocked it off as I climbed the ladder. But when it happened again and this time the notepad was on the piano several feet away, and then a third time it was on the coffee table, I knew something 'odd' was happening. I asked my colleague about it, she laughed and said "Ah you've met Richard then. He does like to play tricks on people, but he's quite harmless." She then looked around the room and said loudly "Richard, STOP IT or I won't get my curtains made!" Richard had been her husband dead for about 12 years then. There were no more incidents that day.

Alis52 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:43:43

I’ve quite a few strange things happen to me but one of oddest was about 8 weeks after having reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. I’d just started driving again and done a full supermarket shop for the family. It was dark, raining and I was exhausted.
I pushed my shopping trolley to the boot of the car and then realised there was no way I had the strength to lift the packed bags out. I’d have to unpack all the items individually to place them in the boot - it would take ages but no choice.
Before I could start a woman in her 20s marched up to me, didn’t say a word or even look at me but reached into the trolley and began lifting the bags out and packing them away. It must have taken her 15 seconds. Then she quickly marched off behind me - I immediately turned round to say ‘thank you’ and she wasn’t there although there was nowhere for her to go!
What was really weird was that neither of us said a word throughout the whole incident and there was no way for her to tell I was struggling physically. I only realised I’d not said a word (I’m usually very chatty) as she left which is why I belatedly wanted to say thank you.
It was as if there was a sort of sacred silence between us and words were irrelevant.

Moth62 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:45:39

As I was preparing to add a story to this thread, I was asked to log in - a thing that never normally happens. This morning, as I was looking up another password, my eye fell upon the password for Gransnet. I am upstairs at the moment and would have had absolutely no recollection of the password if I had not happened to see it this very morning. How weird is that?

Dottynan Tue 13-Apr-21 12:46:57

One day I phoned my mum from work. While I was dialling the number I had an overwhelming feeling that the family dog, of whom I was very close, had been run over. She answered the phone, very distressed. The family dog had been run over but was hurt but not killed.

Purplepixie Tue 13-Apr-21 12:47:16

I have had lots of weird events happen but they all seem to involve robins. Once when I was hurrying to pick my son up from school there were two robins that flew across the windscreen of my car and then they came back. Both of them fighting with each other on my car bonnet. I had pulled up and stopped by then. No other cars about. They then flew off. Further along the road was a bad bend. All of a sudden there was a loud bang and when I drove to this bend there was a large lorry embedded in someone’s garden wall. It turned out that the driver had come down the steep hill and had a heart attack. Poor fella had died. If the robins hadn’t stopped me then I would have been in the path of the lorry. Weird and there are lots more similar.

kircubbin2000 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:51:52

I was reading an article when I came on an unusual word. I looked at it and the way it was spelt and realised the meaning even though I had not come across that word before.
Later reading my book there was the word again and also in the news later!