Gransnet forums

Chat

Presuming BJ goes.

(235 Posts)
Mollygo Sat 15-Jan-22 23:19:42

We’ve all had our say about whether he should go or not.
Why not turn this on its head and say who you would like instead of BJ, and why you think they would be good?
First someone from the Tory party because they’re still in. You may struggle to think of anyone, but give it a go.
Then who you’d like from any party or the party you vote for and why.
I’d vote for Andy Burnham. I know he’s only the Mayor of Greater Manchester now, but I think he’s really developed throughout Covid and he listens to the people.

Doodledog Sun 16-Jan-22 10:17:16

Andy Burnham would get my vote, and Rory Stewart as the best of a bad bunch of Tories is a good shout.

Let’s hope they are both getting their morning dose of Gransnet, see this thread and put the wheels in motion so that they become possibilities ?

Kim19 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:20:02

Just watched KS wriggle and evade questions from Sophie Rayworth. Uncomfortable viewing indeed especially from a lawyer. I do believe his beer episode was indeed a work occasion (perhaps poor choice of drink at work) but suspect their proximity to each other and venue here may have broken 'the rules'. He has gone down in my estimation. Pity but then, I am clutching at straws.

TillyTrotter Sun 16-Jan-22 10:23:08

Rishi Sunak as he’s got to be a candidate anyway,
and he’s teetotal so would be unlikely to host BYOB “parties”,
also he knows how many children he has,
and he already looks after the country’s finances so that’s a good start.
I’m sure he’s far from perfect - who of us is?

TillyTrotter Sun 16-Jan-22 10:24:15

A hefty fine would be in order for KS as many other people were fined for similar gatherings.

Grany Sun 16-Jan-22 10:26:36

We have a huge political vacuum that has to be filled.

Ken Loach does not rate Keir Starmer (nor do I)

Loach says Starmer wants power but not democracy.

Why has Starmer got rid of Jews that support Palestine lifelong anti racists from the party?

Double Down News

Don't like Tory party can't think of anyone from this bunch in government.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 10:34:07

MerylStreep

Just saying ? Rory Stewart was not a soldier He worked under the Foreign office as a co-ordinator. Not decrying his role but there are a lot of people who think he was a soldier just because he was in Iraq.

He was in the Army briefly (about six months, I think) on a short service commission on his gap year, so kind of played at being a soldier.

If people are fed up with posh old Etonian Tories, he wouldn't be a great choice as he is very "posh", far posher than Boris or Jacob.
?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:34:35

Mollygo

DiscoDancer1975

Yes, I like Andy Burnham. He seems to have his head screwed on, but have to be honest, and say I don’t know anything of his policies, but he speaks well, and sounds intelligent.

I don’t know if Andy Burnham would have any policies yet-and they’d be drawn up by the same Labour who would formulate Starmer’s policies.
I think he would be more attractive to voters and get more votes than than Starmer who’s a bit grey. He reminds me of John Major; probably very competent but not impressive.

Yes...I don’t remember John Major in detail, but he always seemed humble yet intelligent. Probably not very focussed though? Andy seems to have lots of energy, but of course, wouldn’t suit everyone, as one poster has already said. No matter who is picked, someone won’t like them.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 10:37:18

MerylStreep

I couldn’t vote for Andy Burnham because of his comments/ handling of the Mid Staffs hospital horror.

Hear hear.

Although he seems reasonable and competent as a City Mayor that scandal on his watch should never be forgotten nor forgiven.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 10:39:18

Esspee

Nicola Sturgeon would be an outstanding leader, she’s head and shoulders above any of the Party Party.

I couldn’t think of any Tories. Sorry.

Good grief!

Please no.

Maudi Sun 16-Jan-22 10:41:44

23:19Mollygo

We’ve all had our say about whether he should go or not.
Why not turn this on its head and say who you would like instead of BJ, and why you think they would be good?
First someone from the Tory party because they’re still in. You may struggle to think of anyone, but give it a go.
Then who you’d like from any party or the party you vote for and why.
I’d vote for Andy Burnham. I know he’s only the Mayor of Greater Manchester now, but I think he’s really developed throughout Covid and he listens to the people.

Well Andy Burnham is not listening to the people of Greater Manchester with his Clean Air tax there is a Facebook Forum RETHINK the Clean Air Zone Greater Manchester with over 60 thousand subscribers and adding more people every day. He's a hate figure for many and they want him gone.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:43:35

Kim19

Just watched KS wriggle and evade questions from Sophie Rayworth. Uncomfortable viewing indeed especially from a lawyer. I do believe his beer episode was indeed a work occasion (perhaps poor choice of drink at work) but suspect their proximity to each other and venue here may have broken 'the rules'. He has gone down in my estimation. Pity but then, I am clutching at straws.

Now why am I not surprised!

FannyCornforth Sun 16-Jan-22 10:46:01

Hands up, I didn’t know about the Burnham/ hospital business, so I will withhold my support for him until I’ve educated myself (as annoying types say!)

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:46:20

I’m having my mind changed about Andy Burnham ?. There must be someone out there surely.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:47:19

FannyCornforth

Hands up, I didn’t know about the Burnham/ hospital business, so I will withhold my support for him until I’ve educated myself (as annoying types say!)

Crossed posts....and ditto

Lincslass Sun 16-Jan-22 10:47:31

MerylStreep

Just saying ? Rory Stewart was not a soldier He worked under the Foreign office as a co-ordinator. Not decrying his role but there are a lot of people who think he was a soldier just because he was in Iraq.

Rory Stewart, a very principled and clever man, speaks 11 languages. Worked much in the Middle East, an asset. He was a soldier actually, albeit for a short period of time, short service commission in the Black Watch. Does humanitarian work. Would be an asset to the country as the PM.

LilacChaser Sun 16-Jan-22 10:50:22

New Tory leaders of choice would be Steve Baker, Mark Harper or Sir Desmond Swayne (all would like to see current restrictions go, as would I). Failing that, Rishi Sunak but never, never, never Liz Truss.

Labour, hmmm, definitely not Keir Starmer - such a hypocrite and does not listen to anybody's point of view except his own. I'm not very au fait with the rest of them.

And Green or Lib Dems - totally mad, all of them.

HolySox Sun 16-Jan-22 10:50:36

Blimey I'm agreeing with Calistemon! NS seems forthright but her only policy is Soctissh Independence, presumably with her in charge.

Andy Burnham is an interesting choice for PM. But no doubt he has yet to have his dirty laindry aired.

Keir Starmer seems a bit weak, althoughe seems to speak well and exhibits integrity ... but whats is thjs about beer / work breaking rules?
Really no idea who to have out of the current shower...

Curlywhirly Sun 16-Jan-22 11:03:46

Rory Stewart (though it's not going to happen as he's no longer an MP) or Tom Tugendhat, who seemed to have integrity and took the Government to task over the Afghanistan air lifts. Obviously I would rather see a Labour Government and would be quite happy with Starmer as the leader.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:05:47

I assume that what will finally make up peoples minds when they come to vote will not be the character of the politician, providing they are know to be honest with integrity and competent.

Surely it will be the policies that will affect our lives?

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 11:14:28

Maudi
and he listens to the people
What a shame he didn’t listen to the poor souls who lost their relatives at Mid Staffs hospital.

Calistemon Sun 16-Jan-22 11:16:09

Blimey I'm agreeing with Calistemon!

???
I am a very reasonable person, HolySox
Just ask DH (oh, he's laughing for some reason)

Pammie1 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:19:12

Sago

The only person I would want to lead this country is the late John Smith.
Had he lived Tony Blair would never have been PM and we would be living in a much better country.

This. All day.

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 11:24:04

LincsLass
Thank you for trying to educate me on Rory Stewart. But I’m afraid your time was wasted.
I became aware of Rory in the early 2000s when he wrote his book The Places In between
He did a long interview on woman’s hour at the time telling us all about himself.

Kim19 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:26:53

I was anti Rory Stewart when he stood for pm. My reasons were somewhat shoddy I now realise. However I have since been listening to him both being interviewed and on pods whilst on long drives. I now find him a most interesting, accomplished, experienced and clever fellow. Complete turnaround in my thinking. I realise he's no longer an MP but I daresay he could return. However....... I do think he's intelligent so - maybe not. Or maybe he thinks he could help sort out the mess his beloved country is in by returning?

winterwhite Sun 16-Jan-22 11:32:46

Yes, please will someone remind us of the role of Andy Burnham re mid Staffs.
I don't mind Starmer being boring. Competence is what we want.
But the OP asked for suggestions to replace the PM now so needs to be a Tory and an MP. Jeremy Hunt for me out of current lot.