Gransnet forums

Christmas

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(168 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 14-Nov-19 08:53:03

This year's is kind of cute although still seems too early for me. But isn't it a re-run of something, I recall the story of a dragon who caused trouble with his flames and was then hired at the bakery when the oven failed, was that a children's story I read to my children, Denis the Dragon?

Namsnanny Thu 14-Nov-19 15:33:47

I can’t see what on earth a dragon has to do with Christmas, but I guess that’s the point!

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 16:00:53

I think it’s lovely. The John Lewis Christmas ad is usually the standard by which the others are measured isn’t it, and this year’s didn’t disappoint.

I think it was a good idea for it to be a combined ad with Waitrose.

I think my grown up daughters will be getting a dragon in their stockings this year!

JenniferEccles Thu 14-Nov-19 16:09:34

Surely everyone could see that Gaunt47 was joking???

Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the permanently outraged are already demanding a grovelling apology from John Lewis about the lack of ethnic diversity in the ad.

pinkquartz Thu 14-Nov-19 16:10:43

I thought the advert was awful

I can't see it as relevant.
I suppose the dragon is meant to symbolize the UK.
But I don't think the narrative makes any sense

We didn't have Xmas trees inside in those days either.

It didn't make me feel anything.

Gaunt47 Thu 14-Nov-19 16:51:21

It appears that a splinter group, the Dragons Protection League has been formed as a protest against the Society for the Protection of Dragons because they transferred the fee for participation in the JL ad to an offshore account. The FSA are investigating. smile

Ginny42 Thu 14-Nov-19 17:02:50

When I was in JL recently I overheard some staff members, clearly management, discussing their ad. They were very animated about it. Then one of them mentioned the cost and I almost commented, but walked by. It's an obscene amount of money spent to persuade us to spend OUR money.

What a wonderful gesture it would be if all the stores donated the money spent on ads to stock food banks over the Christmas period and beyond. Now wouldn't that be something? We may not need food banks at all.

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 17:19:42

Why has the other thread been deleted?

BlueBelle Thu 14-Nov-19 17:35:33

Lost on me, what’s the Christmas message ??
Did someone say 7 million, and people are homeless ! makes my heart bleed

NanaandGrampy Thu 14-Nov-19 17:42:51

Didn't it say at the bottom in tiny print' No dragons were harmed in the making of this film?' Gaunt LOL ?

NanaandGrampy Thu 14-Nov-19 17:44:27

I don't think the dragon symbolises anything pinkquartz I think its an amusing short story that makes a change from some of the other dross we see throughout the year. Its no more and no less than a cracking piece of marketing :-)

Cherrytree59 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:18:20

Welsh Dragons are traditionally renowned for setting the brandy alight on the plum pudding dragon?

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:21:19

I haven't seen it yet, and with a bit of luck it'll stay that way.

As if people need more encouragement to spend on things nobody needs.

Gaunt47 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:31:12

N&G, I sort of liked PQ's idea of the dragon symbolising the UK: it was shown with its muzzle tied up!

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 18:35:45

It's not a spendy spendy sort of advert MissAdventure.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:37:26

I'm sure, subliminally, it is spendy spendy though, gonegirl.

They wouldn't do it otherwise.

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 18:38:36

Have you watched it?

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 18:41:17

Oh you just said you haven't. Click on the link and have a look.

I suppose it is to get people feeling Christmassy so that they start spending, so perhaps you're right.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 18:42:17

Nope.
Neither do I intend to. smile

Gonegirl Thu 14-Nov-19 18:58:17

You're missing a tre-eeeat.

Go on, go on go on.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 19:00:41

It's not even December yet!

merlotgran Thu 14-Nov-19 19:18:37

I love it. I wish my granddaughters were small again. grin

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Nov-19 19:41:26

How much Ginny? Go on, do tell, how much did it cost??????????????????????

Gaunt47 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:23:02

There is a football player who earns £7 m per month.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Nov-19 20:54:59

I won't be watching him either, because that's ridiculous.

Full of festive cheer, I am.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 21:08:23

I must have a look

The other Christmas adverts are already driving me crackers - M&S grrrr, the family with four children who go off shopping for new decorations and baubles each year, others which are instantly forgettable

Grumpyoldwoman