Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Hairdresser disaster

(110 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 10-Jul-20 21:39:24

Had an appointment for the first time since lockdown with my usual hairdresser. Told they had Covid training and things would be different. However I walked in, on time to find the place full and was asked to wait. The 2 staff, one is the owner, were wearing visors, none of the 3 customers. It's a small place. I sat for a couple of minutes, decided it was unsafe and left, furious. The owner phoned later with explanations and the offer of another appointment when it is less busy, I told the owner that the environment felt unsafe. I have lost confidence in them. No one else I know who has had an appointment at other salons has had this experience. I am reluctant to give them a second chance with so much at stake at the moment.

Hebdenali Sun 12-Jul-20 10:34:46

I had a great experience. I was expecting full PPE with masks and visors etc. I was delighted when my usual hair stylist greeted me, took me to the empty top floor of the salon and told that he thinks he has had the virus. I replied that I believed that I had had it as well and we carried on as normal. The best cut ever.

4allweknow Sun 12-Jul-20 10:34:57

Sounds like a definite disaster, no wonder you left. Most hairdressers are making you wait outside until they are ready for you. They need time between clients to clean the surfaces, equipment. Surely there should only be the number of clients inside for the number of assistants and of course spacing.

Natasha76 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:37:15

Maybe try a mobile hairdresser if that's possible and then you are in control of the environment.

Americanpie Sun 12-Jul-20 10:41:13

I've just heard that here in Scotland the clients will have to wear face masks during the appointment I guess I'll have to remove it while she cuts each side and hold the mask in place.
I'm not at all worried about going. The salon was always really clean before all of this and they used barbicide. Everyone has to pay an extra £1.50 to cover the costs of PPE and alterations to the salon, perspex screens etc which I think is OK. I'm really looking forward to going.

joysutty Sun 12-Jul-20 10:42:29

Hello Daisymae, When i phoned up to book a time slot i was told by my hairdresser that i need to wear a mask, when i arrived she checked my temperature with a gun type thing which had seen around the place, and she wore plastic apron and a see through cover mask over her face, and every other chair was empty. I still went back to her to support her as she is not a bit concern and only has one other hairdresser employed by herself and one chair which is on a rented out system, she had not increased her prices so gave her bit extra on the tip, but i certainly would not have been happy as all these precautions are made and implemented by the government i would have thought you could have complained to the public health people, but thats you decision, whereas my daughter did the same and went elsewhere as her normal hairdresser works from her own house and my daughter didnt want to risk going into her house and she is also asthmatic.

joysutty Sun 12-Jul-20 10:44:24

Sorry spelling mistake - i meant to say "she is not a BIG concern hairdresser" and it is showing BIT CONCERN>

Apologies.

Willow500 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:44:52

Reading all these experiences I won't bother going to get mine done. I need it bleaching but obviously if they're only doing cuts there's no point in even asking as I can cut my own. I spoke to my DIL in NZ yesterday who is a hairdresser and she told me not to try to bleach it myself so I guess I'll have to wait until things are a bit more normal. I can colour it but I'm trying to transition to grey but the back is still dark blonde so it won't take.

I haven't contacted my hairdresser who has been doing my hair over 20 years as her husband is terminally ill and I'm sure the last thing she needs is to be worrying about getting back to work sad

Aepgirl Sun 12-Jul-20 10:48:50

My hairdresser has spent hundreds of pounds installing equipment, and only 2 clients and staff are in the salon at any one time. She is furious that other salons are just ignoring the rules and guidance.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:55:09

I had my last hair cut mid March,it was the last time I left the house! My colour was the end of January. I did have a short cut with highlights. Its grown out pretty well and I've started experimenting with rollers! I've had the same hairdresser for many years and very happy with her. She has booked me in for early August. I follow her on social media and apparently she has completed a covid safety course. I dont think I will be keeping the appointment. I'm high risk and have to get two buses there or a taxi. My daughter has an appointment the end of July so will at least have an idea what is in place. There have been lots of photos of finished styles but I havent seen any of how they have adapted the space. It's a large salon but comprised of several stylists who rent the space. As it stands Government advice is to restrict contact with people outside of my household and maintain social distancing. I think hair is vital to self image but if even the government are saying it's not advisable,and they seem more concerned with economy than health,I may just have to invest in a hat!

Beau1958 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:56:06

I certainly wouldn’t go there you were right to walk out. Do you have a local Facebook group for your area they are so handy maybe ask on there for recommendations or ring round local hairdressers and ask their procedures.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 12-Jul-20 11:01:51

Safety first! I would walk past other salons to see which you would feel comfortable in.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 12-Jul-20 11:01:55

Just to add that she does seem to be doing a lot of colouring,a procedure that takes hours. The most I would consider is a quick cut. It does make you wonder if people are sat there for hours without masks etc. I do feel sorry for the frustration businesses who are strictly following the rules must feel. They have spent a lot of time and money ensuring client safety and as a result probably able to see fewer clients.

Theoddbird Sun 12-Jul-20 11:06:36

I had been thinking of growing mine....it has grown to a layered bob now and I quite like it. Definitely sure after reading this.

inishowen Sun 12-Jul-20 11:10:15

I went to my hairdresser and was asked to wait in my car until they called me in. I was the only client. Staff wore visors and cleaned to area where I sat when I'd finished. I felt very safe. This is in Northern Ireland.

Candelle Sun 12-Jul-20 11:13:06

I had a cut at a different hairdresser (recommend by a friend) last week. I was nervous and almost cancelled but it was fine.

I had to complete a form giving my personal details plus had I been self-isolating or sheilding etc., and my temperature was taken and added to the form.

When making the reservation, I was asked to wear a mask during my visit.

It was suggested that I are arrived with clean wet hair and I was happy to do so to reduce time in the salon.

The chair was cleaned and immediately I sat down a voluminous clear plastic apron/cape was put over me and my jacket (which had to stay with me).

The hairdresser wore an overall type covering and a visor. I felt quite safe and time will tell...

The cut is fantastic and I will return! The cost went up £4.00 and I can't blame them, not having been able to work/additional costs re. Covid prevention etc.

Lancslass1 Sun 12-Jul-20 11:23:30

I went to my hairdresser on a Thursday.
She works for herself.
There were no other customers .
In spite of the fact I must have looked like the wreck of the Hesperus and she took longer than usual to cut my hair plus she had to pay for all the extras like sanitiser, ,face masks .visor .extra cleaning of salon etc ,she charged no more so I gave her a much better tip than I would have done normally

harrigran Sun 12-Jul-20 11:26:28

My hairdresser came to the house on Tuesday and I had a cut and blow dry.
She wore a mask and sanitised her hands.
I wiped down the kitchen surfaces and door handles with disinfectant minutes before she arrived.
I did not feel uncomfortable, she has been doing my hair for 25 years and has kept me informed. Nobody in her family had been infected and her DH had a negative test (he works in a care home)
I paid her for that day's appointment plus the two I missed due to lockdown, she had been helped financially by her mother and could not really delay her return to work any longer.

Hymnbook Sun 12-Jul-20 11:40:41

I had my hair cut Friday. Told to wait outside until appointment time. Hayley let me in. Temperature taken hand sanitizer. All my belongings put in a big plastic bag. I kept my own mask for the bus. They had plenty of masks. Hayley was dressed in apron mask and visor. Had to hold mask in place whilst hair was cut round my ears. Thankfully the loos were open and free in the bus station. Took my own water. Now I've done that l will go and have my feet done. All the prices have gone up to cover the cost of all the safety measures put into place. Not the usual relaxing time l usually look forward to. Managed to avoid 2 really heavy downpours to.

Rosina Sun 12-Jul-20 11:48:20

My Hairdresser has organised the salon so that everything is as safe as it can be, and she and her partner are having just two clients in at any time. The cost has risen, but they have spent so much on alterations and equipment, have not qualified for help, and are currently working from 8 a.m to 7 p.m every day to 'catch up' and presumably attempt to recoup some costs. Not a word of complaint from either of them, just a warm welcome, and I was happy to pay a little more to ensure the salon stays open in the future. They must have been exhausted by the end of this first week.

Chardy Sun 12-Jul-20 12:23:24

MawB - hairdressers are leaving gaps between clients to wash down stations and sinks (and some are reducing the number of stylists on at one time). Hende few clients per day. The disposable gowns, disposable masks, electronic thermometer, cleaning stuff etc, it all costs. An extra fiver is pretty much the going rate, I think.

Sue500 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:39:19

I am here in South Australia and hairdressers and barbers have been open throughout the time. Nail salons reopened at beginning of June and now have Perspex screens in front and do your nails through a gap, most staff wear masks but always have where I go.

Mollygo Sun 12-Jul-20 12:40:10

My cut and colour was on the 4th-Hurray!
She had a knock and wait sign outside, no waiting inside. She (and the receptionist) wore visor and mask but although I’d taken 3 masks -1 for wash, 1 for colour and 1 for cut, she said it was optional for me.
Sanitiser as soon as I walked in, white bin bag to store my coat and bag by my feet, disposable gown and spray and wipe down as I moved from chair to sink etc.
Like the OP I’d have been worried if there had been a queue with no spacing, but passing the Turkish barber for men near the shops I was amazed to see men sitting next to each other chatting while they waited.

Toadinthehole Sun 12-Jul-20 12:42:23

You did exactly the right thing. Hair isn’t that important, not worth the risk.

maryrose54 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:05:19

I usually have a mobile hairdresser, but when I asked what safety measures she had in place, she told me that she hasn't been using a mask when cutting friends hair as they are happy for her not to. As she goes from house to house, and seems to not be taking precautions as seriously as I would feel happy with, I have decided to make an appointment with my local salon which does have all measures in place. It will be a lot more expensive but I need to feel safe.

Nannapat1 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:06:26

I went to my hairdresser on Friday and knew what to expect as I had spoken with them on the phone. All staff were wearing either masks or face shields, my temperature was taken before entering and masks were provided for those who had forgotten to bring one. There as a limit on how many clients can be in the salon at one time and disposable chair covers and gowns were used. I was able to have coffee in a disposable cup and could have used the loo if I so wished but didn't need to. I kept my mask on except for sipping coffee, just removing alternate straps when needed. I had my usual colour, wash, cut, blow dry and GHD straightening and felt perfectly safe. They have gone above and beyond to keep us all safe and yet maintain that friendly atmosphere: loved it!