Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Vaccination misinformation

(60 Posts)
Esspee Sat 11-Jul-20 23:47:36

Human coronaviruses have been identified as long ago as the 1960s (some of them can kill as many as 30% of those infected so much more serious than the current Covid19) yet not one vaccine has been found for any coronavirus strain despite in depth research.

Can any one explain why we are being fed the fairy tale that a vaccination will be available in the near future?

Why not be honest and tell us that we are going to have to live with Covid 19?
I have been saddened to hear from people shielding who intend to keep themselves locked away until they can be vaccinated. I do so hope this will be possible in my lifetime but I am not putting my life on hold in the meantime.

How about you?

Dinahmo Mon 13-Jul-20 20:35:08

On another note, a caller to James O'Brien this morning suggested that the people less likely to obey the rules and to wear masks etc were more likely to be Brexiteers. Par for the course, given that the right wing in America refuse to wear masks because it affects their freedom of choice!

Franbern Mon 13-Jul-20 20:35:10

Srry first sentence should have read 'treatment and care for those with the more virulent attacks has improved enormously. So much more knowledge about this treatment and care, and that is the way to go.

BlueSky Mon 13-Jul-20 21:13:30

Well said Franbern while not shielding as such, I've been very careful throughout till today when I ventured into shops. Left disappointed and worried about having been too close to people. Masks still not mandatory in shops let's hope they'll be soon.

Davidhs Mon 13-Jul-20 21:27:15

We all need to take notice of these local outbreaks, packing and picking operations, these are young people, living and working in close quarters. Pretty much the same as the cruise ship epidemics, if there is enough virus circulating for long enough nobody is safe.

We are going to need to keep our distance and wear masks for a long time yet!.

grannyrebel7 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:29:37

I think we must remain positive and believe that a vaccine will be found. Scientists all over the world are working on this so surely something will be discovered to combat this scourge on our society. I'm a glass half full type of person though.

Furret Mon 13-Jul-20 22:12:42

I don’t think a vaccine based on stimulating an antibody immune response will be effective. There is evidence emerging that even people who have had the virus may not show long term immunity - possibly only months.

More promising is T-cell immunity.

maddyone Mon 13-Jul-20 23:07:25

Furret
You must have seen/heard/read the same things I’ve seen. T-call immunity appears to be very important re finding both immunity in individuals and a vaccine.
Also antibodies are often not seen or apparently developed in patients of Covid19 but they may have good immunity via their T-cell immunity. It’s all new, scientists are working very hard to give us a vaccine. I hope they’ll succeed.

Furret Tue 14-Jul-20 06:55:39

T-cells also decline with age which is the major factor in response to Covid-19 and death rates.

growstuff Tue 14-Jul-20 07:08:50

Of course I hope that there will be some kind of vaccine. I just get a bit cross when we read headlines about some breakthrough being imminent, only for hopes to be dashed yet again. The reality is that there's unlikely to be anything for many months or years.

Meanwhile, we have to manage the situation we're in and I agree with others about the measures we need to take. Like many others, I'm vulnerable and really want to avoid risk wherever possible.

I'm not cowering behind my sofa nor am I going to brush it all off and say "what will be is what will be" and ignore the risks. As individuals we can't control much, but we do have some control over our owns actions. Like many others, I choose not put myself at risk and I don't want to put others at risk either.

This is the wrong thread, but I get cross when I read about people saying stuff like "we can't go on like this forever" and "we need to get business/education restarted". Yes, all are true, but not at any price.