Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

National Lockdown to be announced next week?

(242 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 31-Oct-20 00:04:48

Apologies if there’s already a thread on this but the story is apparently in Saturday’s Times and on Sky. Press briefing Monday, lockdown to start Wednesday with schools and universities staying openness. To last until December. Why is this being leaked on a Friday night? Confusion and chaos now for the weekend.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 00:12:19

I think these things are leaked so that we have time to process the idea before it's sprung on us.

I think "they" are probably concerned that Joe public may take to the streets in protest at the idea.

maddyone Sat 31-Oct-20 00:31:45

Well if it’s true, we don’t have too long to wait to find out.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 02:15:27

A month. I think that is optimistic tbh

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 02:20:36

I thought that it was inevitable, but I didn't expect it so soon.
As soon as 'they' say that they're most certainly not going to do something, you can be pretty much certain that it's only a matter of time.

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 02:22:02

I can see secondary schools being only partially open or on a rota.

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 03:34:41

Further to my above post, I've just seen an email from my school.
Due to a very large number of pupils and staff isolating or sick, the school will only be open for years 7, 8 & 9 all of next week.
I think that this will be a common occurrence throughout.

Coolgran65 Sat 31-Oct-20 04:31:55

I’m thinking if lockdown might be introduced with the sweetener of a slight easement for a few days over Christmas.

Whether such a sweetener could/should/would happen is another matter.
There’s what is right for dealing with Covid-19 and then what is best for mental and emotional wellbeing and giving us something to look forward to.

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 05:48:26

The shopping situation is going to be carnage this weekendshock
Poor retail staff. sad

Lucca Sat 31-Oct-20 07:05:18

So depressing. Just wasted 5 days waiting for test results so now a quick visit to bubble family and back to the jigsaws (not)I suppose.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 07:05:48

One of the models showed 4000 deaths a day if the government did nothing. During the spring the highest was 1000 deaths a day.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 07:31:15

What humbug!

“A reminder of what a “senior government source” said when Labour proposed a two or three week circuit break in mid October, as earlier recommended by Sage: “Keir Starmer is a shameless opportunist playing political games in the middle of a global pandemic.”

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 08:05:31

At the moment the main protagonists are the young, and schools and universities are not apparently going into lockdown.

It would have made 100% more sense to have had an extended half term lockdown.

Lucca Sat 31-Oct-20 08:10:08

Too little too late?

Daisymae Sat 31-Oct-20 08:17:32

Surely it should either start today or they should have met on Monday with it happening on Wednesday. Its madness, the shops! Good grief.

Anniebach Sat 31-Oct-20 08:30:53

England lockdown

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 08:53:00

Now I'm scared. I never was before but somehow, this time, I'm worried. DH and I will lockdown without being told to.

Lexisgranny Sat 31-Oct-20 09:07:12

So it looks as if England will go into lockdown as Wales comes out of the Firebreak, not too sure where the whole of Scotland stands at the moment. Wonder which route will be the most effective?

maddyone Sat 31-Oct-20 09:11:53

At this time it would have made sense for the three countries on mainland Britain to have acted as one, and for NI to have acted along with Southern Ireland. But that’s cooperation, so that would never happen!

eazybee Sat 31-Oct-20 09:13:50

I agree with the OP; why leak this on a Friday night, sowing confusion and chaos? The obvious answer is why people always leak information; to cause trouble.
I am sure the possibility of lockdown has been discussed at length, as it should be, but the BBC and some newspapers are fulfilling their self-appointed role in stirring up unrest, and also diverting attention away from the Corbyn debacle.

Bathsheba Sat 31-Oct-20 09:15:57

I agree maddyone, and I was just about to post a similar comment, but refreshed first and saw yours!

Bathsheba Sat 31-Oct-20 09:18:07

also diverting attention away from the Corbyn debacle

Please tell me you don't think this is more important for the nation than the pandemic hmm

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:22:07

If they had done what the scientists had suggested, we would now be emerging from a two week lockdown, with thousands of lives saved.

How on earth can Johnson explain that he now intends to lockdown for longer?

Confidence in his competence is at rock bottom.

Jane10 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:24:16

He's not God. It's such a complex area that it's hard for anyone to plot a way through this with complete accuracy. Other countries are in the same state.

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 09:24:24

Not a good idea for gatherings at Christmas either. I'm afraid I prefer to be in Scrooge mode this year in order to remain alive as this is exactly the time when ordinary ills strike without there being a pandemic to gee things along.
People will have to be made to understand the implications when all are together. Many haven't followed rules.

I'll just be wishing and hoping that my family are alright.
A lockdown has to happen to save lives. It's scary now as it's a fact that millions die, not thousands.