Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Feeling frustrated with colleagues

(53 Posts)
BGB31 Thu 12-Nov-20 11:32:05

I have heard from two colleagues that they are both going away for a few days this week (not together!).
One has had the virus, the other is worried about getting it because it could mean she can't see her family at Christmas.

I didn't say anything in response, but am left feeling cross and frustrated at what I see as their irresponsible actions (both will be using public transport to get to their destinations).

I think I have stuck to the rules pretty rigidly throughout - for my own sake as well as other people's. I'm not a saint (far from it wink ), but to me this is an important, temporary situation where we have to think of others as well as ourselves.

I know there's no answer to this, I'm just ranting! (To stop me falling out with my colleagues perhaps!).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Nov-20 11:53:56

Well, have a rant on here BGB31 rather than fall out with your colleagues, after all you must spend several hours each day with them. All you can do is make sure that you are sticking to the rules. They may be foolish but 'least said soonest mended' as my dear old Mum used to say.

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 11:56:06

I wouldn’t be travelling anywhere at the moment but there’s not much you can do about other people’s choices. It is frustrating though. Do you see them at work or are you WFH?

BGB31 Thu 12-Nov-20 20:39:27

Thanks both, yes ranting here is the best option!

@Blossoming WFH. One of them goes in to the office a few times a week but nearly everyone is WFH.

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 21:32:22

I’m glad you don’t have to come into contact with them while they’re willing to take risks!

Taliya Fri 13-Nov-20 10:08:23

I'm not sure why you are so upset. If one of your colleagues has already had the virus then they will have immunity and can't pass it on to anyone. If they are both using public transport wearing face masks then that's a low risk. If it helps cheer them up and keep them sane then don't be judgemental. I work with race horses so work in a risky environment so maybe I have a different attitude to risk and safety. 99.9 per cent of people don't get badly ill with this virus.

Dylant1234 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:08:31

I thought only necessary travel was allowed? Are they going from a high area to a low area?

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:15:53

I am sorry Taliya but we have very little evidence that suggests that having had it once you are then immune, it really all seems to depend upon the person and any immunity seems to be strictly temporary. From my experience public transport is FAR from safe with far too many folk using buses especially without masks (supposedly exempt) which only a few bus drivers seem to challenge/question.

Caragran Fri 13-Nov-20 10:19:18

Second sentence :- yes they can

Last sentence:- try telling that to the relatives of those who have died from this virus.

Ignorant attitude.

DaisyL Fri 13-Nov-20 10:19:44

Apparently (although I don't know what one can believe at the moment) of the over 50,000,000 people who have had the virus only 25 have had it twice and a couple of those are doubtful. I heard that on Times Radio yesterday morning.

Henny2020 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:19:48

Overnight stays away from home (even in their 2nd homes) would be breaking lockdown rules. Hotels are allowed to be open, but only for business stays and exceptional circumstances like people attending funerals or housing homeless people.

WoodLane7 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:20:03

I thought only essential travel was allowed? Are they off to stop with family then as I can’t see hotels and B&B accommodation taking holiday bookings?

tictacnana Fri 13-Nov-20 10:20:09

Yes,I thought only necessary travel is allowed until December 2nd. Is that not the case now ?

Caragran Fri 13-Nov-20 10:22:09

Ignorant attitude.
2nd sentence: yes they can.
Last sentence: try telling that to people who have lost loved ones to this awful virus.

ctussaud Fri 13-Nov-20 10:24:11

The colleague worried about catching the virus in case it sabotages her Christmas plans is clearly nuts to be breaking lockdown now for a few days away.
I’d be tempted to send a round robin email round your workplace saying that as others are breaking lockdown to go away now, you’ll be WFH for two weeks following their return to lessen the chance of them infecting you. It might bring home to them how their actions could affect others.

jenpax Fri 13-Nov-20 10:25:06

Two friends of mine have been holidaying in Crete this week while we shelter at home in the cold and wet??‍♀️

Moggycuddler Fri 13-Nov-20 10:32:23

This horrible virus will never go away or even get to a manageable level as long as people behave stupidly. I wish everyone would see that. It does my head in big time.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 13-Nov-20 10:38:47

We've stuck to the rules, staying indoors or at our caravan. Apart from that, only been to the supermarket (and that's done at the speed of light to get out and get the face covering off). Yet we now all have flu, brought home by our son from his work place. We're waiting for testing kits to be delivered, just in case this is covid not flu. So all the lockdowns in the world don't seem to protect, even for those who stick by the rules. In a right old grump now, it's my birthday today and we were going to get a takeaway from a lovely Italian restaurant we usually go to in normal times, and now we've cancelled in case of spreading covid when the food is collected.

maddyone Fri 13-Nov-20 11:00:39

Travel is one of those ‘not allowed’ activities, unless a person has to travel for work. We can ‘travel’ to do essential shopping, or to give care to someone, and there maybe another couple of reasons, but basically we’re not supposed to travel otherwise. It’s not allowed to travel to stay in a second home, which has upset my son but he’s sticking to the rules, and it’s not allowed to stay away from your primary residence overnight, unless you’re in a bubble with someone, or giving care to someone.
However the best advice I can give to you is rant on here because you have to work with these people afterwards.

mauraB Fri 13-Nov-20 11:07:34

I had the virus in March/April, no doctor, no test but all the symptoms. I dialled 111 and isolated for four weeks.
I slept most of the time. I 'came out' on the same day as Boris.
He went off to his country estate, my first trip was to the recycling bins, I reflected that I was probably more delighted than he was.
I had my diabetic check two weeks ago and an anti-body test was done at the same time, the doctor remarked "I see you have had the virus, you have the anti bodies". this was six months later!
PS. I am 83 next week and now have an excuse for my absent mindedness, I say it's 'Covid-fog'.
Take care, do what you know is best for all.

Jillybird Fri 13-Nov-20 11:09:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bijou Fri 13-Nov-20 11:18:45

My 85 year old neighbour goes out every day to different shops and supermarkets to pass the time. In theFactory Shop (that was allowed to open because they sold a few cleaning materials) no one was wearing masks so she took hers off. In one supermarket a carer pushed in front of her and was helping her charge to choose a quiche and was handling all of them. For some people the lockdown makes no difference.

Pudding123 Fri 13-Nov-20 11:21:53

I had no symptoms for Covid in March but lost my sense of taste and smell which I have still not regained.I was asked did I want an antibody test which I did 3 weeks ago and it was positive for the antibodies so 7 months on I have antibodies but the literature that came with my test said I could still get it again or pass it on so to follow all the guidelines.

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-20 11:24:16

Yes, its possible to get the virus more than once.
No, we shouldn't be travelling during lockdown other than for essential purposes.
Yes its tedious that the R was so high yesterday yet this necessary lock down is being ignored by so many.

Bijou, your 85 year old neighbour's is more understandable to me than the behaviour of the OP's colleagues. At 85 she may well feel she wants to live every day.

Aepgirl Fri 13-Nov-20 11:28:37

Why do people not see lockdown as a life-saver rather than an inconvenience?