Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’m being made to feel stupid for sticking to the rules, anyone else?

(240 Posts)
TenaciousB Sat 02-Jan-21 16:13:15

I live in an area where our Covid 19 cases are low but I’m still sticking to the rules so that it doesn’t change however my circle of friends think that the risk is overrated and that I’m being over the top by doing this ( and I’m talking about older people too!) it is really making me angry but I’m biting my tongue as I know one day this will be over and I don’t want to lose my friendships. It is getting very hard to do this though. Is anyone else in the same situation?

Grany Thu 14-Jan-21 08:26:51

Zarah Sultana MP
@zarahsultana

14h
There were 1,564 covid deaths in the UK today. A record high.

How many in New Zealand? 0.

Vietnam? 0.

Australia? 0.

Taiwan? 0.

The Tory government – not the public – is to blame for these deaths.

GrannyRose15 Thu 14-Jan-21 13:08:33

growstuff

To be clear my definition of a dictatorship is a country where the freedoms spoken about in the UN declaration of human rights have been suspended. Where oppressive laws are enacted by the executive without being thoroughly discussed and voted on by elected representatives. Where there is no effective opposition. Where the police are told they can interpret guidelines rather that enforce the law as duly put into statute. Where elections are cancelled and the people are therefore unable to have their say.

My father used to say that the best form of government was a benevolent dictatorship, and that description could, possibly, be applied to the present conservative government in that they all probably think what they are doing is in the public good. Nevertheless, we should still recognise it for what it is - a dictatorship. If we don't, and allow it to continue it will not stay benevolent for very long.

varian Thu 14-Jan-21 14:24:59

I doubt whether it is at all accurate to describe it as benevolent now GR15

growstuff Thu 14-Jan-21 14:31:22

Initiatives to protect public health are not dictatorship!

I must have missed all your posts complaining about the government's actions when it suspended parliament, attacked the judiciary, stopped think tanks speaking freely, etc etc.

growstuff Thu 14-Jan-21 14:33:03

Not to mention "promoting" cronies to the House of Lords.

growstuff Thu 14-Jan-21 14:33:44

Who was your father anyway?

Mine said all sorts of things.

growstuff Thu 14-Jan-21 14:35:16

GrannyRose15

growstuff

GrannyRose15

And by the way, it is a mistake to think, as some on this site appear to do, that my views have necessarily meant I have put anyone else at risk at any time in the last few months.

No, it's not a mistake at all. A handful of people have caused a great deal of damage.

You are being extremely rude. How do you know how I have spent the last few months? This blame culture is doing no-one any good, and stems from ignorance.

No, I'm not.

People with views such as yours really have caused much damage.

Grany Thu 14-Jan-21 15:25:53

What's as scary as Covid? The fact our leaders still have no plan to control it

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/13/scary-covid-leaders-no-plan-to-control-pandemic-cycle?fbclid=IwAR0DYMF68iQKLaky15Vxd6-QUCkIIJ6xYXCO60cXbFBPs6LlbQC-SLtpDJ4

growstuff Thu 14-Jan-21 16:10:07

Grany

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/13/scary-covid-leaders-no-plan-to-control-pandemic-cycle?fbclid=IwAR0DYMF68iQKLaky15Vxd6-QUCkIIJ6xYXCO60cXbFBPs6LlbQC-SLtpDJ4

Good article.

I would also add that the government hasn't been strong enough to stand up to people like Sunetra Gupta, Karl Henegan, Mike Yeadon, Toby Young and a handful of back bench MPs, who have been supporting one form of herd immunity - an argument which has been shown time and again to be flawed. They have become media darlings and the government is too bothered about popular appeal to listen to those who really know what they're talking about.

Grany Thu 14-Jan-21 18:40:21

Yes growstuff media darlings and the media don't hold government to account right wing bias Our newspapers are the most distrusted, in a poll a thousand people each for 33 countries, U.K. was voted bottom four years running So says John Cleese he's left U.K. and not back until proportional representation and Levison 2 implemented.

I see The Daily Star do on their front page show up call out this government calling them clowns. Universally Challenged Scumbag College.

GrannyRose15 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:53:44

varian

I doubt whether it is at all accurate to describe it as benevolent now GR15

I was being generous, Varian. I'm not so sure it is benevolent either but for a little while longer I will give them the benefit of the doubt. " Never ascribe to malice what can reasonably be explained by incompetence.

GrannyRose15 Sat 16-Jan-21 22:56:29

Grany

You cannot control a virus any more than you can control the tides. Canute taught us that centuries ago. All you can do is mitigate the effects. Usually it is best not to make them worse in the process.

growstuff Sun 17-Jan-21 00:08:35

It is absolutely possible to stop a virus from being transmitted. A virus needs to latch on to a living organism to replicate. Viruses are not like bacteria, which can reproduce on their own. Canute didn't teach us anything about viruses.

absent Sun 17-Jan-21 07:58:01

We stuck to the rules the first time in New Zealand. We have no current community cases and those who tested positive when they travelled into the country are in quarantine. People are still using the trace aps on their smart phones because we don't want another outbreak. Stay Tenacious!