Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I’m being made to feel stupid for sticking to the rules, anyone else?

(240 Posts)
TenaciousB Sat 02-Jan-21 16:13:15

I live in an area where our Covid 19 cases are low but I’m still sticking to the rules so that it doesn’t change however my circle of friends think that the risk is overrated and that I’m being over the top by doing this ( and I’m talking about older people too!) it is really making me angry but I’m biting my tongue as I know one day this will be over and I don’t want to lose my friendships. It is getting very hard to do this though. Is anyone else in the same situation?

Blondie49 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:53:44

Am with you TenB . I’ve definitely been made to feel , if not stupid, the odd one out, who is being over cautious, sticking to the rules. That covers friends and family, so not just oldies. I actually have put a sticker near where I sit when talking, saying “ don’t talk about covid “ as it’s easier.

growstuff Sun 03-Jan-21 09:54:02

Nobody should ever be made to feel stupid about looking after their own wellbeing.

PS. People sometimes try to make me feel the same because I don't drink alcohol.

biba70 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:56:58

Grandchildren are really fed up about their friends who do not follow rules- and they have been mocked for doing so themselves.

Mini2020 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:57:06

We are being careful, we have a mixture of friends, some have paranoia, some flout the rules if it suits them, however I don’t make comments. It’s their decisions.

Aepgirl Sun 03-Jan-21 10:00:38

You are quite right Tenacious. People who don’t play by the rules are ignorant and selfish. I’ve had to tell my neighbours that until I get the vaccine I am going to be anti-social.

CaroleAnne Sun 03-Jan-21 10:01:17

Take no notice of your so called friends TB.
I would question the nature of their friendship if I were you.
The only way to keep yourself safe is to follow the guidelines from Public Health England. Good luck and stay safe.

Polly4t42 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:01:49

You are getting on with your life, just in a sensible way.

ExD Sun 03-Jan-21 10:01:56

I feel as though I'm being a coward, I bet remarks like "you'll/ be ok, hiding away behind closed doors, never going anywhere". i tell myself to rise above it, but still feel I have to jump in to own defence and make excuses.
Then I tell myself to attack and point out they they are spreading it and making this isolation last longer than it need.

Bluedaisy Sun 03-Jan-21 10:03:27

Don’t worry tenaciousB you’re not the only one who’s fed up with stupid opinions regarding this virus. I was talking to my DDL on the phone yesterday who’s in tier 4 but seems to believe she’s immune to COVID (we’ve just gone into tier 3) and all along she’s voiced her opinion that it’s just ‘the flu’ and as she’s fit, slim, healthy and takes vit D she won’t catch it as you have to be overweight, unhealthy or have health conditions (like myself I presume ?) to catch it or die! She’s not having the vaccine as she doesn’t know what’s in it etc etc, I came off the phone exhausted, angry and frustrated because my DS who is overweight and has asthma will listen to her and probably not have the vaccine either which means she’s putting his life at risk for her somewhat stupid ignorant opinions and I had a very bad headache by the end of the call which I woke up with this morning!
My niece works on frontline COVID wards as a nurse in a very large hospital treating this ‘flu’ she’s working all the hours God sends at the moment, don’t think she’d do that for something ‘trivial’! Unfortunately there’s always going to be people that think health is something they can control with a vitamin pill and because they are one of nature’s rarities who are fortunate to be able to eat absolutely and never put on weight and so far escaped any health problems which consequently keeps them immune to the flu or any other illness. I think from now on maybe it’s best to agree to disagree and keep off certain subjects if we don’t want to fall out with certain people and cause ourselves to be stressed on top of everything else.

Teacheranne Sun 03-Jan-21 10:12:42

Maggiemaybe

I washed mine religiously for a few weeks, nadateturbe, then moved on to just leaving things for a few days in a box under the kitchen table and on a separate shelf in the fridge. I don’t do any of this now, but certainly wouldn’t blame anyone who did.

Same here, but I got fed up of tasting disinfectant or soap on my food! I still put food on a separate shelf in the fridge but it is sometimes used in less than three days now.

Cossy Sun 03-Jan-21 10:13:27

TenaciousB

Your “so called” friends are acting in a completely selfish, irresponsible and positively and possibly criminal manner.

Frankly they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. They are either completely unaware or some sort of Covid-deniers.I live in a very high infection rate area, I have close friends who have lost people and I know many people who’ve been infected, some of whom have been very unwell.

It’s so difficult for you, I would struggle not to say anything, whilst I’m struggling to understand why you would wish to remain friends with people who think and behave like this

I wish you all the luck moving past this

FarNorth Sun 03-Jan-21 10:17:12

ExD it doesn't have to be defence/attack.
State firmly that you prefer to act as you do and that's all there is to it.

barbiann57 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:20:56

TenaciousB You are doing the right thing as advised by the Government. It is better to air on the side of caution, better safe than sorry.

Tweedle24 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:23:12

Live up to your name, Tenacious. You are doing the right thing. It is your life to do as you wish

nipsmum Sun 03-Jan-21 10:26:09

Could we have just one day without Covid being the main topic of conversation.?

Rosina Sun 03-Jan-21 10:26:36

Keep strong and don't let others deflect you. I have no intention of falling at the last fence. Having come this far, missed so much, and with faith in the vaccine, I would not be influenced by those who have been lucky enough to avoid catching Covid in spite of behaving stupidly. A couple on the news a few weeks back had carried on regardlessly; she is now dead and he is a lot wiser and sadder.

rosemarigold Sun 03-Jan-21 10:27:53

NotTooOld. - What an articulate reply!

Maggie68 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:29:19

I know how you feel too makes me so angry when my relatives come on FaceTime and say so casually, “oh yes we had our daughter and husband round for Sunday dinner” or yes they came round New Year’s Eve too and spent the evening with us and then went home or maybe they didn’t. I was shocked and said households are banned from mixing in tier 4 , don’t you watch the news, and the answer was, oh well! , we just break the rules. I was livid because Ihavent seen my grandchildren physically since August. What makes them think they are above the law. They are older than us too and clinically vulnerable. They just don’t get it!! Ok wish the government would make a short film of people suffering on COVID wards and put it out on tv that would ram it home to people just how horrid this virus is!!!!

ReadyMeals Sun 03-Jan-21 10:33:33

Nope, I think the people breaking the rules are the stupid and selfish ones.

Leavesden Sun 03-Jan-21 10:34:36

Do what is right for yourself, like me I’m sure you want to live to see this thing over. We’re staying in because if you carry on as normal it will never be over.

timetogo2016 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:37:47

Who needs enemies when you have friends like that.
You are totaly doing the right thing

TillyWhiz Sun 03-Jan-21 10:40:37

I'm in a low case area too but the stupidity of people is unbelievable. The ones who escaped from Tier 4 in London to come here, the Tier 4s coming into Tier 3 to shop, the man with Covid symptoms who went into the local chemists, the second in a week, and also here is the poor girl struggling with a young family and with Long Covid, which will affect her for the rest of her life. Meanwhile we stay isolated and patiently wait as we have since March.

Grandy56 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:42:00

I will try to keep this brief but I have been so very hurt by a similar situation that has been going on since May and would really welcome your feed back.
I live in a very sociable road and have always got together sociably with many couples of a similar age in the street .
Just before VE Day my next door neighbour and friend of 30 years sent an email to everyone for a garden party .
We were at the time still in lock down. I rang her up to express my concern privately .
She was horrified and cross with me saying she meant everyone should celebrate in their own gardens . However on the day she put chairs bunting etc out and everyone congregated on her front lawn spilling out onto the street.
We didn’t attend but raised a glass to them all from our front door .
A little later in the summer, when we were allowed to meet in our gardens my DH and I invited a couple round who had been in strict lock down since March . They were very nervous about coming .
My house shares a footpath with the neighbour to our back gardens and all day leading up to my friends arrival , it had been busy with children, grandchildren and neighbours visiting my neighbour . I asked my neighbour if they could possibly not use the path for five minutes while my friends arrived and used it to enter our back garden . She agreed and then dead on the agreed time , they used the path to wheel a lawnmower along it for no apparent reason.
I again spoke to her privately about this but she was angry and emailed me that night saying that she had emailed everyone the road and that they were all shocked with my behaviour .
Since that day we have had very little contact from anyone .
On New Year’s Day ( we are tier 4 ) 20 neighbours had a gathering in the road to celebrate . We of course were not invited ( not that we would have gone but it would have been so nice to be included. These people were all once our friends )
I know this is late in the thread but please reply to me . I am so down .

Grandchildren2 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:42:03

Hang in there. Do what you think is right for you. If it's any comfort I have been following safety measures since March before the current safety measures. I would go to the supermarket with my marigold gloves on and not giving a toss what others thought. As long as the virus exists, it's a threat, end of. So good for you. It also maybe that because you are doing the sensible thing this is challenging for others who know what they SHOULD be doing.

silverdragon Sun 03-Jan-21 10:43:29

AJKW Long Covid is not something I would call surviving. And there have been many stories of 'young fit healthy' people who have died or now suffering with Long Covid.

What's the point of having wonderful world economy if there's no one left?