Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Son and wife not having the vaccination

(133 Posts)
Schumee Thu 06-May-21 12:59:15

My eldest son and his wife have made it clear that they are not having the Covid vaccine. I feel really disappointed in them but realise everyone has to make their own decisions. I just feel that I wont be happy having them in my house and will have to see them in outside venues. My grand daughter is 9 and I have only seen her twice in the past year. I used to help out with child care during the holidays but I dont feel happy doing this now. AIBU

sodapop Mon 10-May-21 17:04:49

I really can't respect the decision of someone who doesn't agree with the Covid vaccination but will have one if it affects his ability to have a holiday.

Missingmoominmama Mon 10-May-21 20:59:29

I’m 55 and had the Astra Zeneca, Café. I have Osteoarthritis and am currently having tests for other forms of Arthritis too.

rac47 Tue 11-May-21 07:47:53

You are not being unreasonable at all. Some younger people are dubious about the vaccine, in case it effects fertility, so that may be a reason for their refusal. Just a thought.

nanna8 Tue 11-May-21 08:13:11

Skye17

nanna8

I’ve had the first dose but the second isn’t until mid June. Anyone know how just one dose would protect, just curious ? It was astra Zeneca. They don’t tell you much here about that sort of thing.

In one study in England, one dose of AstraZeneca cut the number of people who caught Covid in the vaccinated group by 76%, compared to the number who caught Covid in an unvaccinated group. But these are differences between groups. The reduction in risk for an individual will vary from the group reduction in risk to some extent. I e it will be around 76% but not necessarily exactly 76%.

Thanks for the info Skye17. Good to know.

JenniferEccles Tue 11-May-21 11:16:05

This is tricky isn’t it?
Have you calmly discussed it with them?
It’s always difficult where family is concerned as we want to respect their wishes and not fall out with them.
I would have to discuss it with mine though to try to see if I could allay any possible fears.
Thankfully all of mine (and all their friends apparently) have always been enthusiastic about the vaccines.

Interestingly there was something on the tv news last night about how all these idiotic and harmful anti-vaccination internet sites are to be closed down.

I’m really surprised that there are still people who believe all the nonsense spouted on there but I guess if anyone has reservations initially, then these sites just reinforce their views.

I do however think it’s reasonable for younger adults to look into which vaccine to have, in view of the latest advice for the under forties.

But to refuse all of them? No.

sodapop Tue 11-May-21 12:38:12

Not sure I agree with that heavy handed approach either JenniferEccles the government telling us what to think again. I do have concerns about the way Covid has opened the door to all sort of controls being imposed. Of course a lot of them were necessary but ..........

Summerlove Wed 12-May-21 12:18:26

sodapop

Not sure I agree with that heavy handed approach either JenniferEccles the government telling us what to think again. I do have concerns about the way Covid has opened the door to all sort of controls being imposed. Of course a lot of them were necessary but ..........

I agree with that Soda. I hope that the reins are loosened as covid risks lower, but I do understand why some “conspiracy theorists” believe they will not.