Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

John Cleese and Andrew Graham Dixon

(359 Posts)
Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 11-Nov-21 18:58:47

Andrew Graham Dixon got into trouble at Cambridge University for impersonating Hitler during a talk he gave on art etc. The head of the Student Union said he would let other unions know that they shouldn’t let Graham Dixon speak at their unis. Then, John Cleese, who was also due to speak at Cambridge decided to withdraw before they did it for him. He has also impersonated Hitler. Don’t students like confrontation these days? I didn’t think students were delicate flowers who don’t like their equilibrium unsettled.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 11:08:41

I know this is hard but people can talk about any subject they like. I very very rarely talk about my work on here for example this doesnt mean it isnt very important to me. I think JKR in a sense is a special case as she is part of a picture that involves silencing of women in relation to their own rights, it includes julie bindel Kathleen stock maya forstater endless legal cases and on and on. Also weird masked men turning up anytime women gather on this issue. Women are talking about this across the country. They are not going to stop.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 11:10:18

And sorry I think there are positions which are more important for women to fill and one of those is that of an MP. And the fact that they of necessity must meet the general public and appear at public events means that they need to overcome their fears and ignore the abuse. Something JKR isn't obligated to do. Yet it is always abuse against her that is referred to.

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 11:11:48

Galaxy

I know this is hard but people can talk about any subject they like. I very very rarely talk about my work on here for example this doesnt mean it isnt very important to me. I think JKR in a sense is a special case as she is part of a picture that involves silencing of women in relation to their own rights, it includes julie bindel Kathleen stock maya forstater endless legal cases and on and on. Also weird masked men turning up anytime women gather on this issue. Women are talking about this across the country. They are not going to stop.

But perhaps what they should really be talking about is the women MPs.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 11:16:17

She is important - but anyone who is victimised for having an opinion is important. The fact that she is well-known makes her a target, and the fact that she is a woman who has made a lot of money makes misogynists dislike her. She crops up in discussions about trans issues because she has been misquoted by so many people who are unable to point to what she has said that is transphobic.

All death threats are shameful, as are all attempts to cancel free speech; but on a thread about trans issues threats against people who are being targeted by TRAs are more important to the topic than others.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 11:18:23

Who should be talking about women MPs?

Glorianny Tue 28-Jun-22 12:36:18

Doodledog

She is important - but anyone who is victimised for having an opinion is important. The fact that she is well-known makes her a target, and the fact that she is a woman who has made a lot of money makes misogynists dislike her. She crops up in discussions about trans issues because she has been misquoted by so many people who are unable to point to what she has said that is transphobic.

All death threats are shameful, as are all attempts to cancel free speech; but on a thread about trans issues threats against people who are being targeted by TRAs are more important to the topic than others.

This isn't a thread about trans issues although I realise the usual suspects are trying to make it such.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jun-22 12:47:08

No, you're right. I realised that after posting. There are so many current threads connected by the authoritarian desire to stop free speech that I lost track of which it was. My mistake.

Galaxy Tue 28-Jun-22 12:57:27

Bless usual suspects. How pleasant.