Gransnet forums

Culture/Arts

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

(269 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

StarDreamer Sun 07-Aug-22 14:54:23

Virtual cruise from Venice along the river Po with the option to learn some Italian

The suggested format is that this is a discussion thread about the places along the route, links allowed, together with the option of synchronised learning of some of the Italian language using the free Duolingo language course. Sort of like a treasure hunt for information, yet no teams, people sharing what they find.

LINK > www.duolingo.com/courses

Participants using Duolingo will need to register, free, with Duolingo.

Registering with Duolingo does, by default, make one's profile public. On a computer, one can make it private by clicking on the blue disc at top right, choosing Settings, scrolling down and then choosing Privacy Settings, then unchecking the checkbox that is labelled Make my profile public.

kittylester Thu 11-Aug-22 13:11:58

This is all ridiculous! The thread should be allowed to wander as do conversations in the real world.

Gransnet has become far to rigid.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:14:20

ixion

Quotes deleted post

Well, some time ago on another thread, someone mentioned Argy and I asked what it meant and nobody would say.

Today, someone asked what it meant so I replied as I now understand the term to mean. If you can provide a better explanation then that would be helpful. The definition needs to convey the meaning clearly.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:25:58

kittylester

This is all ridiculous! The thread should be allowed to wander as do conversations in the real world.

Gransnet has become far to rigid.

Hear hear!

Casdon Thu 11-Aug-22 13:37:32

Here’s my explanation. I’d say from the outside that the Argy is a virtual bar where Gransnetters who don’t have a poker up their arse let their hair down and have a laugh. It’s not for me, but it’s open to all, there’s no compulsion to participate, and no rules, the same as all threads on Gransnet should be.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:38:19

pincers wrote Otherwise it's just a long string of links to places to see and daily lessons in very basic Italian.

Well, generally speaking, yes. Hopefully together with some discussion of the places and including bits of Italian as they are learned, even if at first it is me writing "Io sono un uomo." and some of the ladies each writing "Io sono una donna."

I know that might seem trivial to do and it may well be.

However, I look at it from a pure mathematics viewpoint. start with the very trivial then add a little, then a little more and so on.

I appreciate that it may be "two cultures" stuff, and that that way of thinking is different from the way that those who chose to do "arts" think.

I suppose that one could regard the river Mainz virual cruise as "a long string of links to places to see" and some discussion about them and a little creative writing about the names of the cruise ships (plural) and the names of the coaches used for the overland trips, and some music.

But I certainly enjoyed it and some others also enjoyed it.

If you want an Argy cruise, you can have one. I can have one on my own offlist. I enjoyed the company on the river Mainz virtual cruise, but if Argy is decided upon I can proceed alone offlist. Please decide among yourselves what you want.

FannyCornforth Thu 11-Aug-22 13:42:28

I think that this thread should be put out of its misery.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Kate1949 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:52

What a very strange thread this is.

ixion Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:59

Why don't you popover to the Argy Bar and ask them yourself?
I'm sure you will be made most welcome- and they do a very presentable alcohol-free Mint Julep.?
Here they are -

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1313991-Welcome-to-the-all-new-summer-special-Argy-Bar-buy-one-cocktail-get-two-free?msgid=29558342

Sundaze Thu 11-Aug-22 13:53:06

What a surprise...another pile on.

StarDreamer Thu 11-Aug-22 13:54:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 14:06:03

MichaelGransnet

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts that were derailing the thread, hopefully things can get back on track now.

Please would you take another look at this thread.
The behaviour is carrying on, as it always does.

Thank you.

Shirley48 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:09:49

MissAdventure

MichaelGransnet

Hi all. We've removed a number of posts that were derailing the thread, hopefully things can get back on track now.

Please would you take another look at this thread.
The behaviour is carrying on, as it always does.

Thank you.

I have reported this thread - probably for different reasons.

MichaelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Aug-22 14:15:16

Hi all, and thanks for the reports, we'll take another look at this thread now.

We're fine for this type of thread to run for those who find it fun and interesting. However, if the thread isn't to your taste then it might be best to ignore it rather than post as this tends to derail the thread into a series of arguments. We certainly don't want anyone to feel driven off the site - that's not really in the spirit of what Gransnet's all about.

Please do report anything that breaks our guidelines or continues to take things off-topic.

Hopefully things can get back on track now.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Aug-22 14:15:59

Good.

Marydoll Thu 11-Aug-22 14:18:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

StarDreamer Fri 12-Aug-22 17:43:10

Joseanne

Yep, maybe. Thanks.
I'm thinking posters are now less interested in the on board cruise bit, but more in the culture etc. So putting the location first gives it more prominence.

A new thread has now started.

LINK > www.gransnet.com/forums/culture_arts/1314201-Venice-and-the-river-Po-a-virtual-cruise

All are welcome to participate please.

Chewbacca Fri 12-Aug-22 18:01:16

I've seen the Astronomical Clock many times but didn't know that!