Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a pear ? the sequel!

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Wed 01-Jan-20 08:17:35

On 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

However the 2 Gransnetters who have stayed the course are Fourormore and Shirleyw who have helped to keep me on the straight and narrow, most of the time ?, and kept up our spirits. Plus a few others who make an occasional entrance and departure and that is fine too - All Welcome.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.
Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.
Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my mantra. I am sure both Four and Shirley will tell you their strategies.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

So Onward and Downward ? in 2020 and beyond folks. Come and join us.

CocoPops Tue 07-Jan-20 04:15:28

Yes Woodmouse49 My portions need reducing too. I'm greedy! I made 6 portions of "African Peanut Stew" today ( I froze 5 portions). Had remaining portion for dinner but easily could have eaten another. If anyone wants the recipe it is from "Oh She Glows" cookbook. No need to get the book. If you Google African Peanut Stew recipe pops up.
Good luck everyone.

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Jan-20 08:09:12

I’ve put the Christmas cake in the utility room! It’s cold in there and I try not to go in there in the evenings -which is my worst time at the moment. My first goal is to not eat or drink anything after our evening meal.

Off to have a look at African Peanut Stew.

Daisymae Tue 07-Jan-20 08:22:57

Hello all, have been intrigued by the title of this thread as it certainly applies to me. I measured myself the other day and found that my waist had gone! Just like that!! I have been a yoyo dieter for years but at the moment can't bring myself to get on the scales so it must be bad. Had so many chocs this Christmas as gifts which is unusual. Anyway looking to get back on the wagon and shift a few (lots) of pounds.

sparkii Tue 07-Jan-20 08:41:01

goodmorning all. Can I joinin please? My weigh day would be a Saturday. I will be starting this week.

Dec46 Tue 07-Jan-20 15:41:12

Tuesday weigh in.
Hi All, First weigh in for me since the week before Christmas and I am delighted that my weight has stayed the same as I expected to have gained some.
I have 1st 5lbs to lose and have decided to aim for 5lbs weight loss goals as that seems easier to do rather than concentrating on whole amount.
I think the thing to remember is we are not human dustbins and it's ok to get rid of things we know aren't good for us ,cake,chocolate etc. If they are in my house I will binge eat as I live alone so have decided best thing to do is either give it away if possible,put it out for the birds or as last resort put in in the bin and forget about it!
Good wishes to all losers x

fourormore Tue 07-Jan-20 16:22:44

Welcome Sparkii of course you can join us - the more support we all have the better!
Well done Dec46 - staying the same is some achievement over Christmas!
Your idea of small targets is brilliant - I need to lose at least a couple of stone, but at the moment I am aiming for my weight to start with a 12 rather than 13stone something! I've been good so far this week hmm! (But it's only Tuesday!)
Keep up the good work fellow losers!
Our Wednesday weighers are Supergirlsnan, Tanith and Yennifer so good luck vibes from us all to you three!!!

Yennifer Wed 08-Jan-20 09:48:53

Morning! I have lost 2 pounds in weight this week.

Start weight 10.8
Current weight 10.6
Goal weight 9.7

I expect that a lot of the 2 pounds is water which most people drop at the start of a diet change so I may not see a loss for a little while as some of that water will go back on. Aiming for half a pound a week in fat as a reasonable loss as I am only a little over where I want to be. Hoping to see a bit of give in my jeans soon though as I'm worried I will split them lol

Yennifer Wed 08-Jan-20 09:53:50

Although saying that, my tummy does not feel right and I have the headache you get when you have a little temperature so if I have a tummy bug coming that may change the game in a bad way.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 10:11:12

I'm puzzled when people say that they've lost or gained a few pounds. Our weight fluctuates a lot (even daily, by 5 or 6 pounds). We can store up to 20 pounds of 'waste' too!

Those little losses/gains are meaningless. Psychology is really weird, though, as those who weigh themselves a lot do tend to lose weight!

Surely, we'd have to be very 'regular', with a consistent food and fluid intake, along with measured daily activity, for weigh-ins to begin to make sense.

I'd say an average of those recorded weight records, over a month, would truly indicate a longer term loss or gain.

Yennifer Wed 08-Jan-20 10:25:22

When I want to lose weight I weigh every day, I don't weigh myself the rest of the time until I know my clothes are getting tight and it's time to change my diet again. Yes weight can fluctuate but it's the downward trend you need to watch for and you can't actually see the downward trend without weighing! I also do recommend measurements because they are generally more honest than the scales x

Yennifer Wed 08-Jan-20 10:28:25

Also always strength over cardio, cardio improves your endurance but more muscle burns more calories in general even when you aren't exercising x

sparkii Wed 08-Jan-20 12:15:19

Hetty, I found elasticated , harem type trousers are my greatest enemy. I agree, maybe weighing every day is not great but neither is delusional thinking!!!!

M0nica Wed 08-Jan-20 13:43:08

A daily weigh-in is quite relaxing. By seeing how your weight can fluctuate on a day to day basis you realise why some weeks, or even months you weight seems to 'stick'. In fact it hasn't, it is just that it is up the day you weigh yourself.

I lost several stone a couple of years ago (and have not regained it). I weighed myself everyday and noted it down. In the end I plotted it as a graph, and it was interesting to see just how wavy that graph was as it gently dropped to its satisfactory conclusion.

Quite comforting as I set out to lose another stone.

fourormore Wed 08-Jan-20 15:03:50

Well done Yennifer a loss of 2lb is a great start and well said both you and Sparkii on your comments on the weigh or not weigh debate! I keep a graph too MOnica as it is encouraging to see how much lower it is from a month, year etc. ago!
As we've always said on this thread, it is up to each individual whether they 'weigh' or 'not weigh' - if 'weigh' what date of the month or day of week suits each one - we all decide what suits us best! It's true our weight does vary - we are all heavier in the evening than we are first thing in the morning, the same with height - we're taller in the mornings!
The human body is a strange thing but we are all trying to lose weight for health reasons and our focus is encouraging each other not judging or criticising.
Our Thursday weighers are NanKate (if she's well enough) and Lindadoughty so the vibes are for you two tomorrow!
Hope your bug doesn't progress Yennifer and your progress continues NanKate flowers

lindadoughty650 Wed 08-Jan-20 16:52:32

Thank you, weigh in tomorrow which will really be my starting weight. Because of re-decoration/re-furbishing, have not been out for my usual walks this week, getting ready for new windows. Have hauled a lot of "stuff" to make clear spaces so I'll call that exercise (kidding myself). Good luck NanKate and everyone.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Jan-20 18:39:10

I went out for lunch at a friend’s today. A wonderful sausage meat/puff pastry roll from a local butcher followed by artisan breads with outdoor pig ham. Then a wonderful peanut and chocolate concoction which I only had a very small taste of (so as not to seem rude). I had expected soup and a roll!

Just had a small handful of mixed nuts and raisins to stop me eating anything else today!

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Jan-20 21:22:11

DH just came through with a piece of the hidden Christmas cake. I was very strong willed!

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 22:01:35

I have thinner and fatter sections in my wardrobes. I'm not overweight but I do notice if the thinner stuff feels tight (usually at this time of year) or loose (in the summer).

sparkii, yes, I'm making good use of the harem pants while I have post Christmas belly. I don't diet though, just wait for it to get back to normal.

CanadianGran Wed 08-Jan-20 22:05:48

Joining in!
I've got my fitbit out of storage and have set a reasonable daily goal of 7500 steps. I have parked further away from work so i have to walk a bit to and from.
I am also logging my food onto the fitbit app, so looking at calories eaten and used. Trying to do the 5:2 intermittent eating, with very low calories on Tues and Thurs.

Not weighed myself since Jan 2, but will on the weekend. My goal is 7 lbs, and a healthier lifestyle. I was getting a bit like a hibernating bear; loading on calories and not doing any exercise.

NanKate Thu 09-Jan-20 08:07:59

Just popping in from the Sick Bay.

Thanks Four for the continued encouragement to all our members, which is a key part of this thread. Also for sorting out the weighing days, which you have pointed out is optional.

Well I see I am down for Thursday so I am pleased to say I have lost 2lbs which I had put on at Xmas. To be honest the loss is all to do with me losing my appetite due to the Pleurisy nothing to do with watching what I eat.

The Doc says I should be back to normal whatever that is in about 10 days.

Good to see so many of you joining myself, Four and Shirley.

Onward and downward ?

lindadoughty650 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:18:20

Weighed today and have put on 3 lbs over the holiday period. So, will count this as my starting weight at ** stone 11 lbs. End goal is too far to envisage ever reaching, so will aim for 5 lbs, then re-aim for next 5 lbs. Did better with more regular eating over past couple of days rather than "scatter gun" approach which leads to too many calories and still not full. Bon chance

Yennifer Thu 09-Jan-20 12:52:37

I'm 2 pounds less today after a tummy bug, I might even get to hang on to it as my appetite is gone. Will see Wednesday. Well done all x

Gwiz5 Thu 09-Jan-20 16:02:12

So I’m doing veggie healthy 6 days a week , dry January and so far I’ve lost 3lbs since 2 jan. I’ve started a Pilates class and and doing 20 minutes at home every day too . I’m allowing myself a roast on a Sunday so I can get my chicken fix! I walk a lot and so far I feel fine. To all of you doing something for yourselves to feel better well done and keep it up !

fourormore Thu 09-Jan-20 18:32:37

Well done everyone!
So far this week we are already collectively a few pounds lighter, even though we haven't really started, as some of us recorded (privately or otherwise) our 'start' weights last week and some this week, but any progress is great so hats off everyone grin
No weighers tomorrow as far as I know - advance good luck vibes to Shirleyw and Sparkii for Saturday as I may not be able to post tomorrow!
Aren't we doing well!!!
Welcome to our two new friends CanadianGran and Gwiz! Thank you for joining in!
Although we all intend to lose weight we don't want to become obsessed so we make sure it's fun too! wink

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Jan-20 18:58:02

I’ve been quite good this week - I thought. Weighed myself this morning and am 2lb heavier - so just consoled myself with a very small sliver of the hidden Christmas cake (DH had a proper slice and I couldn’t resist). That’s it. That’s the last bit of cake I’m having this year. He can help himself if he wants any as I don’t want to go near it!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion