Gransnet forums

Education

Tiger mums

(63 Posts)
thatbags Mon 12-Sep-16 07:10:17

According to Rosemary Bennett
Tiger mums (and their children) are miserable.

janeainsworth Mon 12-Sep-16 13:14:13

The rattiness was further up the thread daphne. Not you.
Will someone please put me out of my misery and tell me which thread is the subject of the Itslian references? I missed it too.

thatbags Mon 12-Sep-16 13:33:33

Hebdo cartoon after recent Italian earthquakes.

Riverwalk Mon 12-Sep-16 13:45:32

I was most definitely not a tiger mum.

I have two boys - if I had a daughter it might have been a different matter as would have wanted her to have and do all the things that were not available to me.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Sep-16 13:58:18

Oh! Is that what it was?! Forgotten about that. Was wondering.

Who's flounced? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Sep-16 13:59:33

I not ratty. smile I happy happy happy !

[fdt]

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Sep-16 14:00:36

Why did we never get a finger-down-throat emoti? Would be great. Would use it a lot in that kitchen.

Oh! That's why we haven't got one. hmm

M0nica Mon 12-Sep-16 14:33:19

Being a tiger mum and having high aspirations for your children are not the same thing. Encouraging your children to do well in school, having a home where education is seen as important and you encourage your children to aim for high attainments, is not the same as force feeding them as if they were foie gras geese, which is essentially what tiger parenting is.

daphnedill Mon 12-Sep-16 14:44:20

I agree there's a difference, but I know plenty of parents who don't know the difference, not that it's easy to know where to draw the line. hmm

morethan2 Mon 12-Sep-16 16:26:06

I know two young women both academically as bright as each other as children, both achieved fantastic A* one was bought up by parents who had high expectations, the second by parents who wanted her to do her best and be ok. The first set of parents really looked down on the other and was always telling me " oh dear second child will never reach her potential such terrible parents" Five years down the line. The first one went to a prestige university got a first. Working for a big financial company, along with horrible ibs, crippling anxiety, pretty awful relationship with parents and everyone else really. The second got a degree from some college in horse husbandry( or some such) works with horses, earns bugger all comes home exhausted, stinking and filthy, close somtimes argumentative relationship with parents, happy, bubbly and popular. I know which one I'd sooner sit next to.saying that I do realise that it's such a cut throat world we live now perhaps Tiger Mothers are just doing their best to prepare their children for it. Ps I really enjoyed the little pianist I hope she enjoys her talent and grows up a well rounded happy adult.

morethan2 Mon 12-Sep-16 16:29:24

This thread has made me realise that I really don't keep up with things. I've no idea whats 'running' along side it. The Italians?

Stansgran Mon 12-Sep-16 18:45:03

I've just returned to the laptop with my gin in hand. Sorry daphne . It wasn't to you it was further up the thread. I'm not very quick with the typing

M0nica Tue 13-Sep-16 08:16:56

morethan2, it is the second set of parents who had the high expectations; 'whatever you do, do it to the best of your ability'. The first family were force feeding.