Gransnet forums

Estrangement

The 'Perception Filter'...

(410 Posts)
HolyHannah Sun 24-May-20 07:51:22

An Estranged Parent said -- "This is something I have always thought about and really haven’t a clue as to the answer. I know that we all love with a different depth of capacity. How can our EC turn their backs on the very people who raised them and not give a hoot if they are dead or alive? Can they really love their spouses, their children? Are they capable of feeling love for anyone. In my case, I know with certainty that my ES loves his children, but in my heart I know he married someone who is very damaged even more so than he is and I think in order for his own survival, he in his mind pretends that all is well."

The first question in that is, "How can our EC turn their backs on the very people who raised them and not give a hoot if they are dead or alive?" My reply, "I guess it depends on how YOU raised them."

Next question -- "Can they really love their spouses, their children?" My reply, "Yes. Just because I got healthier mentally and stopped providing supply/'love' to my mom doesn't make me incapable of finding healthy love with my husband or children." The mentality of "If you don't/can't 'love' ME, you can't truly love anyone." is FFS at best.

Last question -- "Are they capable of feeling love for anyone. In my case, I know with certainty that my ES loves his children..." This statement should speak for itself...

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 18:52:02

If it helps yorkie you are not alone in what you've experienced. I'm not sure this is the best thread for you share your story, you may be better off on the 'support for those living with estrangement' thread.

You haven't rambledsmile

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 18:54:11

5 out of the 6 points you listed motherofdragons so more than 50%.

Starblaze Tue 26-May-20 18:56:06

Smileless You don't have to answer this of course but if your son is in that seriously abusive of a situation, why would you not want him back?

HolyHannah Tue 26-May-20 18:58:29

yorkie20 -- It sounds like your daughter naturally entered the world and spread her wings. Instead of worrying about how much time you don't have with her now that she's an adult, focus on making any time you do spend together fun and positive while not making her feel guilty for not spending as much time with you as she once did.

I think a lot of parents feel 'replaced' and push to keep the relationship the same as it was when their child was a minor. That attitude is sadly a factor in estrangement.

Is her husband really taking up all her time or is it your feeling that he is taking her time away from you? If it's the first, that could be signs of a controlling partner. If it's the second, you need to deal with your feelings. Don't make your feelings HER 'problem'.

She is young and if you were a good and supporting parent while raising her, once she gets settled into an adult life I would like to think a more normal routine of contact will be established.

For now, focus on you and doing things that make you happy.

Motherofdragons Tue 26-May-20 19:07:23

Yorkie20 Are you estranged from your daughter or do you still have a relationship, albeit not as close as before?

It is perfectly normal for children around this age to pull back from the parental relationship in favour of independence. Perfectly normal.

How old is your daughter now?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 19:09:03

Of course I have an answer Starblaze but it isn't something I would share with you.

Motherofdragons Tue 26-May-20 19:14:54

5 out of the 6 points you listed motherofdragons so more than 50%

And are these concerns or do you actually have evidence? Because you absolutely have not detailed any of this on GN over the years as you said you have.

Why have you not contacted any relevant authorities for the safety of your son and grandchildren?

Why, if your son is in such a severely abusive relationship, do you say you wouldn’t want to re-establish a relationship with him?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 19:20:30

Or with you Motherofdragons

Starblaze Tue 26-May-20 19:28:05

I don't mind smile

Motherofdragons Tue 26-May-20 19:28:34

I just had to read back the comments to understand what you meant Smileless.

But you have said that you wouldn’t want to re-establish a relationship with him because what has happened has been too painful for you and that too much has happened. That there is no trust. You have said that openly on the forum for years. That just doesn’t make any sense if your son is in as abusive a relationship as you say he is. I mean, you are now claiming for the first time after all these years of posting, that your son is a victim of abuse severe enough to put his wife in prison. And you say that what has happened to him has been too painful for you? What about for him?

Again, why have you not contacted any relevant authorities regarding the safety of your son and grandchildren?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 19:36:22

It doesn't have to make sense to you does it.

Starblaze Tue 26-May-20 19:39:31

Are you OK Smileless?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 19:45:17

Yes I'm absolutely fine Starblaze; are you OK?

Pantglas2 Tue 26-May-20 19:50:21

This is beginning to look like hounding now.....why would anyone not accept someone’s honestly held views and seek to badger them into revealing chapter and verse of their innermost feelings to satisfy some deep seated dissatisfaction in their own lives?

It’s abhorrent to read and unkind to say the least.

Motherofdragons Tue 26-May-20 19:56:01

I mean, no, of course it doesn’t need to make sense to me.

But when you’ve been posting for, what has it been Smileless, 6 or 7 years, maintaining your estrangement story with unwavering consistency, and then you suddenly change such a massive detail such as your son actually being in a controlling and coercive relationship punishable under Section 76 of the Serious Crime Act 2015 from out of nowhere, then expect people to...not be able to make sense of it.

Again, why have you not contacted any relevant authorities regarding the safety of your son and grandchildren?

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 19:57:22

It's what they do Pantglassad and you've hit the nail on the head there "to satisfy some deep seated dissatisfaction in their own lives"smile.

HolyHannah Tue 26-May-20 20:02:59

If projecting negative emotions and ascribing nefarious intentions onto others' makes someone feel better I'm always around for that.

I've been called/accused of being sooo many things here. Some of them are even true.

Motherofdragons Tue 26-May-20 20:05:04

It's what they do Pantglassad and you've hit the nail on the head there "to satisfy some deep seated dissatisfaction in their own lives”

Definitely not, Smileless. I am not trying to “satisfy some deep seated dissatisfaction“ in my life. I think you are lying. It’s as simple as that really.

Starblaze Tue 26-May-20 20:06:09

Yes good thanks Smileless, watching Lost on my new Fire Stick with my cat. So much cheaper than Sky and a good distraction from the news.

Hetty58 Tue 26-May-20 20:18:03

Why don't people understand or realise the reasons for distancing ourselves? Why is it our problem and not theirs?

It's quite possible to love a parent deeply - yet dislike them intensely and distrust them too.

Why would I want to expose my own children (other than rarely, briefly and well supervised) to a destructive and poisonous grandparent?

She was mentally unwell but unaware of it and convinced that I was an awkward character!

rosecarmel Tue 26-May-20 20:29:42

Smileless, something has shifted - You might be sharing more of what you've privately considered all along or perhaps something has recently occurred that's causing additional concern-

Or something else completely-

But whatever happened, your latest description doesn't match what you've shared in the past-

Pointing this out isn't badgering- Its taking notice of change- You've communicated what you think and I'm communicating back-

Norah Tue 26-May-20 20:29:50

Pantglas2, "why would anyone not accept someone’s honestly held views and seek to badger them into revealing chapter and verse of their innermost feelings"

Precisely. I disagree with the assertion that the estrangement can be due to an OH, but does not matter what I think. No need to badger, state opinion and accept that others may disagree. Again, free will.

HolyHannah Tue 26-May-20 20:44:03

Hetty58 -- It's that much harder when you have diagnosed mental illnesses like me and that gets waved as the totality of any family 'issues'. Yet over and over I hear/get told, "It's our kids mental illness that caused them too estrange." What a nice little bow to put on top.

If I were to defend myself more then laughing and walking away, it would be the "delusional rants" of a nut-job.

I might be diagnosed and own My mental illness but just because they haven't been diagnosed officially makes THEM "mentally healthy" in their mind/perception.

Maybe they don't want to see their part because if they too sought help, then THEY would be the same as Me, 'mentally ill' and then THAT could no longer be used as the excuse/reason we are No Contact.

And they would rather fall on the throne from GoT then lower themselves to being 'the same' as Me. They are superior/'better' and I need to know/stay in my place.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-May-20 21:22:32

Hello, GNHQ here. As you all know estrangement is one of the most difficult and emotionally fraught topics on Gransnet. For those who are going through it, or those who want to understand more about it, we do ask that everyone tries to treat each other with extra kindness and tolerance on these threads. Please remember that no matter how robust we may come across online, there is no way of knowing how vulnerable we may be behind the screen. Thank you flowers

Smileless2012 Tue 26-May-20 22:04:29

We watch a lot on Netflix to distract us from the news Starblaze. Find a good series and binge watch which is great but then we have to find another one.