Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Having a weak moment

(156 Posts)
nananet01 Mon 01-Feb-21 01:10:48

I've haven't seen my granddaughter for 2 years. I've seen my 7 year old grandson for minutes only during those 2 years. It's a sad story with a long history.
I cannot help but feel for my adult daughter and grandchildren given the unprecedented times and pressures on parents and the toll on our children and grandchildren. But I know she does not want contact and I respect that.
During a weaker moment today I was tempted to send flowers. I send gifts to my grandchildren and they have been accepted. I email first. I am not made of stone and at the end of the day, this is my child.
Just a weak moment I guess.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 09:22:41

You never stop caring or loving do you Sparkling which is why being estranged is so painful.

nananet01 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:38:21

I have accepted a lot over the years Sparkling, my daughter using my christian name being just one of those things although I do feel it is disrespectful.
I understand completely and empathise with the feelings you describe.

Sparkling Fri 05-Feb-21 14:55:24

I feel for you nananet, you must not be treated like that, you maybe did things in the past you now regret, but no ones perfect, your daughter certainly isn’t treating you so badly, so why should she expect it of you. I would not let my daughter disrespect me, I would say we will speak when you are civil and leave it at that.The balls in her court, but you can continue to be a loving grandma, send cards and little letters to them etc until your daughter puts a stop to it. You hear how wonderful and generous people are to those that they don’t know, just lovely people like our careers and nhs. Please look after yourself, don’t go down that road of feeling worthless because of your daughter. You are your own person. Unfortunately not all mothers or children are nice people.

Hithere Fri 05-Feb-21 16:15:09

When did your dd start calling you by your christian name vs mom?
Does she think it is disrespectful?

There is a very recent thread open about it and it was 50/50 on whether it was disrespectful or not

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:59:08

It's such a shame but not unusual to learn that some parents tolerate what they feel is inappropriate behaviour for fear of losing contact with their AC altogether.

Even more of a shame when they end up estranged anywaysad.

Our ES used to call me by a nick name our adult friends used, which was a play on my actual name. It never bothered me but if it had, because of the relationship we used to have, it would never have entered my mind that he'd take offence if I'd asked him not too.

It doesn't matter whether or not the AC thinks it disrespectful, if the parent does then they shouldn't do it.

NellG Fri 05-Feb-21 17:30:09

Agreed Smileless AC should respect their parent's preference. I am not a walking birthing pod who can have my role diminished by 'levelling' me. People get to choose their pronouns these days, why can't a mother choose to be addressed by her children as Mum? It is my right to invite people to use my given name as I choose. If I invite my child to use my name it's fine, if they impose it on me, it's not. I am their mother by definition and biology.

Armadillo Fri 05-Feb-21 18:25:54

I have been in a group for estranged children recently and they do see any contact as harassment and stalking.
Everyone says to throw things in the bin or keep a diary of unwanted contact to show the police.
I don't know if everyone who cut off a parent would be reading that advice but it might be good to bare in mind it might make the situation worse if they see you as a bad for contacting them.

Hithere Fri 05-Feb-21 19:01:08

"It doesn't matter whether or not the AC thinks it disrespectful, if the parent does then they shouldn't do it."

Adults respect are peers and have no hierarchy.

Parents don't get to call the shots and their adult offspring have no call.

Respect goes both ways.
There are many definitions of respect.

Hithere Fri 05-Feb-21 19:04:41

My parents' definition of respect is blind obedience, never questioning their decisions and agreeing with them as at all times is paramount

My definition: we are all different and we need to find out what works for all parties.
Compromise and understanding each other is key for a good harmonious relationship.

NellG Fri 05-Feb-21 19:13:33

Hithere I'd say that your definition of respect is more than reasonable.

Respect does indeed go both ways, but when one party wants dominion - parent or AC, it's a hiding to misery all round

As a parent I don't see myself in a hierarchy, I respect other people's boundaries and wants and I expect the same in return. If I tell someone that I find their approach/behaviour towards me disrespectful I'd like to be heard. Just as I would hear them.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 19:45:51

In terms of referring to a parent by their Christian name, which is what my post was in reference too, for an AC to do so even when they know their parent doesn't like it, is disrespectful.

I wasn't suggesting blind obedience Hithere as like you, I believe that respect goes both ways. IMO a parent being called by their name when they don't like it, is not a compromise they should be expected to make.

I feel the same Nell it's of equal importance to hear as it is to be heard.

welbeck Fri 05-Feb-21 19:49:03

i agree with Momabear, Ironflower and Armadillo.

Hithere Fri 05-Feb-21 20:13:16

Smileless,

Thanks for confirming that you think paternts pull rank and adult children have no options - at least how parents want to be called.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 20:26:53

confused I really don't understand your post Hithere. Where have I said that I think "parents pull rank and adult children have no options - at least how parents want to be called"?

What's happened to "Respect goes both ways" that you posted @ 19.01? No one should be referred too by a name that they don't like and no parent's AC should call their parent by their christian name if they don't like it.

I had some very silly nick names for both of my sons when they were little, which were carried on into their adult hood but there were some that I'd never have used unless we were alone, because I knew they wouldn't like it.

Even in private, had they wanted me to stop using any of them I'd have done so. That is when "respect goes both ways".

Madgran77 Fri 05-Feb-21 20:47:03

Thanks for confirming that you think parents pull rank and adult children have no options - at least how parents want to be called

Its not about pulling rank! People are entitled to be called something that they feel comfortable with! I personally would not be bothered if my kids called me by my name but if someone does feel uncomfortable that should be respected. In the same way if an AC is uncomfortable with their name or maybe with a nickname from childhood or whatever and wishes to be called something different, then that should also be respected.

A slightly different perspective but on a similar theme. My children were never expected to call their Aunts and Uncles by that name, always just by their name. However, that was fine with my brother and my husband's brother but when it came to my more elderly aunts and uncles (my children's great aunts/uncles) they were uncomfortable with that, an older generation with a different view of such things. Although all would have accepted it and not been particularly difficult or unpleasant, our children were taught that one should respect people's preferences about they are called and so they used aunty/uncle with the older generation. As teenagers there were some lovely interesting discussions about it all between the old and young generation with everyone willing to consider and respect different viewpoints and preferences. Just as it should be in relationships!!

Armadillo Fri 05-Feb-21 20:54:57

If my boys called me my name instead of mum I'd be heartbroken that they didn't think I was a mum to them.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 20:57:35

That's a good point Armadillo, there can be more in a name than we realise some times.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Feb-21 21:10:16

My parents' definition of respect is blind obedience, never questioning their decisions and agreeing with them as at all times is paramount

But that's just your parents Hithere and is clearly not the case for everyone.
If my DC wanted to start addressing me by my Christian name, I don't think it would bother me particularly. What matters is the way any address is made. And how its perceived and received. I avoided addressing my parents at all, either by mum /dad, or by Christian name. I just tried to catch there eye as they passed! grin

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Feb-21 21:21:28

Chewbaccasmile

Madgran77 Sat 06-Feb-21 08:47:17

Chewbacca Spot on!

Hithere Sat 06-Feb-21 14:12:57

Chewbacca

My post only illustrates how the definition of respect can be different for me and my parents, of course it is not the case for every for everyone!

Part of the issues between generation is how the same item is defined and seen.

Sara1954 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:19:58

Armadillo
I was tempted to say something earlier, but didn’t want to sound unkind, but as an estranged child, I would feel very uncomfortable and quite annoyed if my mother suddenly sent me flowers.
I wouldn’t consider it stalking or harassment, but I certainly wouldn’t like it.
Hard though it is, I would leave things be.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Feb-21 14:37:10

Sara1954

Armadillo
I was tempted to say something earlier, but didn’t want to sound unkind, but as an estranged child, I would feel very uncomfortable and quite annoyed if my mother suddenly sent me flowers.
I wouldn’t consider it stalking or harassment, but I certainly wouldn’t like it.
Hard though it is, I would leave things be.

Same for me Sara1954. Mine did once send me some flowers, completely out of the blue and many years after our last contact. I didn't consider it that she was harrassing or stalking me; just a rather sad attempt at an apology without actually saying "I'm sorry". I kept the flowers, ignored the contact and carried on as before. No drama. No fuss.

Smileless2012 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:20:16

I agree Sara and Chewbacca. Constantly being sent letters, emails, texts and or gifts would be harassment IMO and being followed around on social media and/or in person for me would constitute stalking.

Armadillo Sat 06-Feb-21 17:26:54

Sorry I don't know what you mean