Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Harry: "I want my Father back. I want my brother back"

(1001 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Tue 03-Jan-23 13:34:07

Ah diddums are the consequences of your actions catching up with you?

A change of heart is needed! You need to face up to your own actions and stop acting as the only victim.

TerriBull Tue 03-Jan-23 14:51:17

Hypothetical situation it might be, but is there any parent here who has had more than one child who would not be distressed to see one of their children so publicly criticise their sibling, knowing full well that sibling has no recourse to present their side of an argument. Harry knows full well that William can hardly respond in a "well anyway" sort of a way. There are nearly always two sides to an argument, most parents know that . Furthermore when one's sibling has what should be a private conversation with the other it's hardly surprising they are remaining silent when everything they have said is then disclosed via some sort of an interview, will it never end.! It's the nature of the way a lot of family dynamics play out but they aren't put under constant scrutiny.

We are now told that Meghan has a book in the pipeline, what more is there to say that hasn't been said especially when it's presented in that rather all too familiar manner of an ingenue.

Diana would never have wanted her children to fall out in this very public way, she, I believe told them they needed to stick together they would both need each other at some time in their lives. There are times when I wonder if these brothers had lived back in the Middle Ages whether Harry would have tried to depose his brother his angst about being the second born it seems has no bounds.

It's a betrayal of a sibling who happens to be the first born, what's he supposed to do about that! and who also suffered the same heartache when he lost his mother too. William really is the only one who can share those feelings with Harry who sadly seems determined to continue driving a wedge between them.

Lucca Tue 03-Jan-23 14:53:35

lovebeigecardigans1955

Indeed, Onward if you insult your family in public you can hardly complain that you want them back, can you? He is the sad victim of his own actions.

I'm a bit too young to recall, but did the late Duke and Duchess of Windsor have so much to say about their lives, decisions and actions?

Possibly no internet etc ?!

Glorianny Tue 03-Jan-23 15:00:45

Callistemon21

^he's just doing what you all wanted earning his own living (and wsupporting charities- but I suppose that's wrong as well)^

Yes, jolly good, so are most of our DC I expect.
Well done

But not trashing their families in the process then crying crocodile tears in public because their loved ones have withdrawn in their hurt and confusion.

My DSs were raised in the real world and are useful and productive members of society.
Harry was raised in a bubble and an institution his main purpose being a substitute. Not surprisingly he has few skills and needs expensive protection. so he's making money any way he can.
Perhaps his loved ones should have given more thought to this before they threw him out.

notgran Tue 03-Jan-23 15:02:08

Anniebach

He needs them, what can he write or talk about after his book is published,

He is a one trick pony or is he? I wonder if he make take the initiative and talk about the effect on his life of people not believing he is actually King Charles' son?

Larsonsmum Tue 03-Jan-23 15:10:12

The behaviour of the pair of them is appalling. However I have grave concerns for Harry - he is clearly in dire straits, and I fear what may become of him.

Casdon Tue 03-Jan-23 15:14:13

I feel uncomfortable reading this thread, because a number of the people commenting are themselves estranged from their own children. I think we should look very hard at ourselves before condemning either Harry or his family - a bit less judgement, and a bit more compassion all round would do no harm.

fancythat Tue 03-Jan-23 15:16:40

Glorianny

Well it's number 20 on The Amazon Best sellers list and it isn't even released yet. Sorry all you sour individuals, doubt if it will be the failure you hope. Can't understand why you would condemn it anyway he's just doing what you all wanted earning his own living (and supporting charities- but I suppose that's wrong as well)

How well do you get on with your own family?

VioletSky Tue 03-Jan-23 15:17:54

I hadn't noticed this thread is in "estrangement"

It's a family that need to all take responsibility to come back together

It's those who cannot and will not take any responsibility that ultimately cause family rifts

notgran Tue 03-Jan-23 15:19:46

Casdon

I feel uncomfortable reading this thread, because a number of the people commenting are themselves estranged from their own children. I think we should look very hard at ourselves before condemning either Harry or his family - a bit less judgement, and a bit more compassion all round would do no harm.

I am not and have never been estranged from anyone in my family. I'm that boring. So I hope Casdon that helps you feel more comfortable. wink

DiamondLily Tue 03-Jan-23 15:26:39

The royals have always been dysfunctional, but family matters need sorting out behind closed doors.

Mollygo Tue 03-Jan-23 15:34:39

Perhaps his loved ones should have given more thought to this before they threw him out.
Interpretation varies.

volver Tue 03-Jan-23 15:36:24

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that many people are so invested in this because they have experienced estrangement in their own lives.

If you haven't, yet you still think its acceptable to say the things you do about anybody, let alone Harry, I do wonder what your motivations are.

GagaJo Tue 03-Jan-23 15:40:01

volver

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that many people are so invested in this because they have experienced estrangement in their own lives.

If you haven't, yet you still think its acceptable to say the things you do about anybody, let alone Harry, I do wonder what your motivations are.

Yeah. Mad at the hatred at someone they've never clapped eyes on in real life.

welbeck Tue 03-Jan-23 15:40:23

Floriel

It reminds of the old story of the boy who shoots both his parents and pleads for mercy from the judge - ‘Have pity on me, I’m a poor orphan.’

the above is given as an explanation to someone asking what does chutzpah mean.
it is a neat illustration of the attitude.

VioletSky Tue 03-Jan-23 15:42:37

I'm estranged from my mother and 1 brother

So probably not keen on the whole "parents are wonderful, blame the adult child" culture

So much dysfunction for both of them growing up

Oreo Tue 03-Jan-23 15:45:35

I’ve clapped eyes on him and feel no hatred for him, some sympathy tbh but also dislike at what he’s done to his own family.
I think it’s something he will come to regret very badly, he may even be regretting it already.

DiamondLily Tue 03-Jan-23 15:46:15

I think the royals are dysfunctional generally, but I think H&M are determined to play the victim card, regardless.

Perhaps they should ALL stop their whinging, sulking etc. count their blessings, understand that they have very few worries, and realise that there are people out there with real problems.🙄

VioletSky Tue 03-Jan-23 15:48:37

What a strange thought

Royalty means you don't get "real problems"

Just suck it up and behave the way the public expects I suppose

Curlywhirly Tue 03-Jan-23 15:49:40

It does seem, from all that we have been told, that there were mistakes made by all parties in this sad debacle. We will never know what really happened as we weren't party to any of it. However, I can't understand why any of it has been made public - surely no sane person would think it a good idea to trash your (very famous) family in public; the public can't help sort it out. All involved should just get on with airing their grievances to each other in private (with a mediator if necessary) and try to resolve their differences. I know that Harry and Meghan have to earn big money to keep up their luxury lifestyle - but washing your dirty linen in public for payment, is not, in my view, a good or honourable way to earn a crust.

Glorianny Tue 03-Jan-23 15:50:19

volver

I still think it's the "Good Royal, Bad Royal" syndrome. I don't fully understand how it works and I really don't understand why anyone would be so invested in the RF they become emotionally involved in the whole thing. Not sure how far you could go back historically either. I think Victoria was a "Bad Royal" for a bit. But Edward VII who was totally immoral was always a "Good Royal"

Charles was Bad but is now Good
Ditto Camilla
Harry was Good but is now Bad.
Mind it may have a lot to do with soap operas as well. Which the life of our dear RF so closely resembles.

notgran Tue 03-Jan-23 15:51:01

GagaJo

volver

Yeah. Mad at the hatred at someone they've never clapped eyes on in real life.

I have actually "clapped eyes on in real life" most of the Royal Family. I also don't hate Harry, I in fact don't hate anyone. I think the emotion I feel for him is disappointment. He and his wife could have been a very positive force for the Royal Family. It wasn't to be, which I feel is a pity.

Alioop Tue 03-Jan-23 15:51:16

As the saying goes 'one has made one's bed and must lie in it'.

volver Tue 03-Jan-23 15:52:43

You're doing it again.

I'm really tempted to create a Harry and Meghan Bingo card. It will include:

He always looks so miserable.
I don't hate him, I feel sorry for him
He's got nothing else to sell (Note to self - don't mention Invictus or the documentary series he produced.)
He upset our poor, late queen.
He upset our poor, late queen's poor, late husband.
She wants to bring down the monarchy.
He'll regret it eventually, then what....
She'll leave him, wait and see...

Mollygo Tue 03-Jan-23 15:53:15

It’s the public vilification -on any social media of parents, siblings or other family members by AC especially when they can’t reply that I find unacceptable.
Or the vilification of people I don’t know, by people I don’t know.
Initially we could blame the media for publishing the media version of events, but once you go on TV and spread your own version of the truth it’s different.
I teach the children about the dangers of careless use of the internet. They know that once it’s out there, it’s out there and people can do what they want with it, because you can’t take it back.

DiamondLily Tue 03-Jan-23 15:54:08

Witzend

Then an apology for slagging them off so publicly might not come amiss. Not to mention presumably giving an awful lot of grief to the Queen - Charles’ mother - when she was very old and increasingly frail, and grieving for Prince Philip.

I do hope no GNers are going to buy his wretched book. I saw it marked down to £14 in Smiths today - 🤞they’ll be desperately marking it down to a fiver soon - but I dare say I’ll be disappointed.

I don't think many will have to buy the book - despite their ongoing palace PR instructions, and constantly criticising H&M, the British media have, apparently, been in a bidding war to serialise it....says it all really.🙄

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion