Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Cousins

(33 Posts)
AllTheLs Sun 02-Jul-17 10:07:15

Had a cousins' meet-up yesterday. We were trying to work out the relationship between my first cousin's daughter and my grandaughters? Fourth cousins? Second cousins, three times removed??? Is anybody good with cousin lines because we were all stumped.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Jul-17 10:19:44

Your child and your cousin's child would be second cousins, so I think your cousin's child and your grandchild are second cousins once removed.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong though! grin

Elegran Sun 02-Jul-17 11:03:35

They are second cousins, once removed. Your own daughter is second cousin to your first cousin's daughter. Her daughter is one generation removed from being a second cousin.

Draw a litle diagram, with yourselves, parents, and grandparents on it, each generation on the same level as others of that generation. Probably best to start with GParents and work down. It is clearer in a diagram.

The relationships depend on whether the people you are comparing are on the same level/generation as each other or a generation up or down.

Top level are your grandparents.
Below that their children, who are siblings to each other.
Below that the grandchildren, who are first cousins to each other (unless they are siblings to each other).
Below that those of the same generation are second cousins.
Below that third cousins and so on.

If you have to go up a step from one generation to another, they are cousins once removed. If two steps, twice removed,and so on.

Skweek1 Mon 03-Jul-17 10:01:09

Removed are different generations. Your Cousin's daughter is your 1st Cousin once removed and also your daughter's 2nd cousin. Your grandchildren are your cousin's daughter's 2nd cousins once removed.

grandMattie Mon 03-Jul-17 10:19:15

Golly! I'm quite good with those sorts of relationships. Consider a cousin [second]... when her mother married her [much older] father, the lady became her uncle's SiL and her sister's aunt! confused

boggles Mon 03-Jul-17 10:23:36

What ????

Mspjam123 Mon 03-Jul-17 10:27:12

Sounds like 2nd cousins once removed to me.

AllTheLs Mon 03-Jul-17 10:32:26

The majority has it - Second cousins once removed wins the day. Thank you all.

Humbertbear Mon 03-Jul-17 10:52:03

My family is far too complicated to start working out 'removes'. We just call everyone cousin including the cousins of my cousins who are no blood relation at all.

monkeywings123 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:08:07

I'm with Boggles . . . lost the will to live at "once removed"!!! . . . .

Nanny27 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:35:18

I'm standing with Humbertbear. All just cousins. We also don't bother with step after a single generation. So step parents and children but after that just grandparents, grandchildren etc. What do others do?

Gagagran Mon 03-Jul-17 11:43:23

My very family-minded nephew calls the ever growing number of descendants in our family, "kissing cousins". I believe that is an American term but in our family it is taken to mean anyone with a blood tie how ever little that may be. Works for us. wink

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:50:21

There are lots of charts online to help you work it out, here's one from Ancestry:
www.myrelative.com/html/relationship.html

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:52:14

If DH and I had a 'cousins' meet-up we would need the O2 Arena (at least)!

They had a lot of children in the olden days, all spread far and wide around the world now.

TriciaF Mon 03-Jul-17 11:53:41

I've had a lot more contact with my cousins over the last few years, since a few of us have died. There used to be 12 of us, now only 8 sad
When we mention our children and grandchildren we just refer to them as so and so's children, not 2nd, 3rd cousins etc.

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 11:57:30

I think the term is used more when researching genealogy but it is quite interesting to work out relationships. I just refer to my cousins' DC/DGC as 'my cousin whoever's daughter/son/DGC' if we're talking amongst ourselves.

harrigran Mon 03-Jul-17 12:52:43

You have just answered something I was thinking about. I am going to a meeting with my Dad's cousin's son and later with another of Dad's cousin's daughter. DS has been in touch with this relative and I was puzzled as to the connection.

Meer13511 Mon 03-Jul-17 15:00:44

Definitely 2nd cousin once removed

grandMattie Mon 03-Jul-17 15:18:27

Only 8 first cousins, Tricia?
I've got 41. I'm in touch with about 20 of them, the rest I've never met as they live as far apart as NZ, S Africa and US/Canada...

catwoman Mon 03-Jul-17 17:14:30

I only have one cousin. Always envied friends who had a few of them. My children have four cousins but next generation I'm losing count!!!!

Grandmama Mon 03-Jul-17 19:02:23

Google Relationship chart. Several will appear and it is really easy to work out the relationships.

durhamjen Mon 03-Jul-17 19:32:29

Thanks for that chart, Jalima.
My grandson is often asking about what relationship he is to .....
I wouldn't mind, but I was a member of Ancestry for years and never saw that!

durhamjen Mon 03-Jul-17 19:33:10

You do realise I've thanked you for a link, don't you?

nipsmum Mon 03-Jul-17 19:34:25

Sorry, I don't understand all this second cousin twice removed stuff. They are barely related so who cares. Why do they need to be labelled?

durhamjen Mon 03-Jul-17 19:38:09

Out of interest?
If my grandson asks should I say, "Who cares?"

By the way, if you go on the link online, the relationships light up yellow. Very clever. Perfect for simple people like me.