Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Cousins

(34 Posts)
AllTheLs Sun 02-Jul-17 10:07:15

Had a cousins' meet-up yesterday. We were trying to work out the relationship between my first cousin's daughter and my grandaughters? Fourth cousins? Second cousins, three times removed??? Is anybody good with cousin lines because we were all stumped.

durhamjen Mon 03-Jul-17 19:39:30

Out of interest, nipsmum, why are you on a genealogy thread if you don't care?

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 21:21:24

You do realise I've thanked you for a link, don't you?
grin

You're very welcome djen

Jalima1108 Mon 03-Jul-17 21:24:21

Sorry, I don't understand all this second cousin twice removed stuff. They are barely related so who cares.

Some people care and find it very interesting!
We had a first cousin twice removed of DH visit us from overseas not long ago. She found us through Ancestry. Luckily she was very nice.

Candelle Tue 04-Jul-17 10:48:32

My mother was an only child but she was always close to her cousins (the children of her mother's siblings).

I only met these cousins at funerals and thought it would be fun, as adults, to arrange a 'Not-a-Funeral-Lunch', which I do once a year.

One cousin has done an enormous amount of amazing genealogy research and it is fascinating to see and hear stories of our past relations.

I always ask for newspaper article of debauchery, arrests etc., but sadly, they are lacking. What boring lot!

That reminds me, it's time to arrange another NAF lunch!

JackyB Tue 04-Jul-17 11:28:35

And all these years we've been calling our cousins' children our second cousins when they should have been First cousins once removed.

On my husband's side, we, too, started meeting on a NAF basis after the funerals were all over.

My cousin in Canada has found out some really interesting things about the family in her genealogy research. Why is it that those who are farthest away are most interested in this sort of thing?

TriciaF Tue 04-Jul-17 11:51:53

One of my Canada cousins is the same, JackyB.
She researched my Dad's (and her Mum's) line and found that a ggGrandfather was born in Russia - which explains a bit about my political views wink

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Jul-17 12:19:43

I think they like to trace their roots JackyB - DH's Canadian cousins have done a lot of research which was very interesting when it was linked up with what I had done.
It's good to share information as 'missing links' can often be found.

Candelle we don't have debauchery (not that I've found) but do have an arrest for sheep-stealing which warranted six months' imprisonment - although I suppose my GreatX4GF could have been deported for that.

MargaretX Tue 04-Jul-17 15:22:15

First cousins have the same grandparents, second cousins have the same great-grandparents
but don't forget there was a lot of illegitemacy in past years. You would have to follow the mother's line. Also some girls were just taken in to work as maids etc and were put on the census as Daughter.

I met up with a lost cousin who I last saw aged about 8. When I saw her and spent an afternoon with her I was convinced we were not genetically related. This feeling was very strong and I never saw her again.