Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Irish passport as a Brexit protest

(130 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 23-May-22 18:01:02

Has anyone applied for this and been successful?
I am considering applying. My DGF was Irish.

Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 09:13:37

The Foreign Births Register has a two year wait, for anyone going down this route.

Grammaretto Thu 26-May-22 09:15:03

Ah Shandy I think that was what put me off last time apart from not finding my DM birth cert. sad

Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 13:13:56

Where was your DM born Grammaretto - Ireland? The Irish site seems quite comprehensive, about 25 euros to get a copy?

Grammaretto Thu 26-May-22 13:27:58

No she was born in Burma/Myanmar.
Either she never had a birth cert or it was lost when the country was invaded. It was a problem for her but she carried a declaration and managed to get a British passport despite not being British and not living here for very long.

Shandy57 Thu 26-May-22 17:54:29

So sorry Grammaretto, that will be a very hard one to trace. God help those people in Sri Lanka at the moment. I got married in the Seychelles in 1987 and people were 'disappearing' then. We wandered into a training camp in the mountains by accident, scores of ten/twelve year olds practising with guns.

I've been to northern Thailand but didn't get as far as Myanmar, I was volunteering at Save Elephant Foundation Elephant Sanctuary up a mountain in the jungle. The owner, Lek Chaillert, supports a school and various people in Myanmar.

Grammaretto Thu 26-May-22 21:54:52

Yes Shandy. It is a muddle but it must be possible to prove I and my siblings are eligible. We will give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My DGM was a refugee and arrived in this country with nothing. Her husband, my Irish DGF, is buried in Burma. She is the only one of my DGP who is buried in Britain.

That must have been so shocking for you to come across 10/12 yr olds learning how to use guns.
I have never been to Myanmar.

Razzamatazz Sat 08-Oct-22 20:59:03

I've started trying to find my Irish grandmother's birth certificate again, so I can register on the Foreign Birth Register. Not having much luck so far!

Razzamatazz Mon 24-Oct-22 16:59:21

I've finally got a copy of my Irish Grandmother's birth certificate. I used this website.

www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/order/birth-certificate/

Sago Mon 24-Oct-22 19:48:43

Good luck, it may take a while be patient!

Grantanow Wed 03-May-23 09:10:51

My OH got an Irish passport after Brexit but I'm waiting for Yorkshire to declare independence.

Fleurpepper Wed 03-May-23 09:21:49

Urmstongran

I don’t see the point really.

I would have thought it is quite obvious.

I know many people who have done this- and I can't blame them. But I was really really annoyed at people I know who voted for Brexit- and now have opted out of the consequences! Hypocrites in the extreme!

fancythat Wed 03-May-23 09:27:50

But they can do both. Surely?

MaizieD Wed 03-May-23 09:46:18

fancythat

Both what? Vote for everyone to lose their freedom of movement then protect their own with an Irish passport?

Camellia20 Wed 03-May-23 09:54:43

Several people I know who voted for Brexit have Irish or other EU passports. I felt European and wanted to retain the advantages that European citizenship brings.
In the jobs market, will my children, who love Europe, and grandchildren be discriminated against in favour of applicants who have an EU passport if that job requires frequent and prolonged European travel? Could that be challenged?

Oldbat1 Wed 03-May-23 11:37:47

I’m still hoping for Scottish Independence for eventually making freedom of movement available to me and my children and grandchildren.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-May-23 20:30:56

Camellia20

Several people I know who voted for Brexit have Irish or other EU passports. I felt European and wanted to retain the advantages that European citizenship brings.
In the jobs market, will my children, who love Europe, and grandchildren be discriminated against in favour of applicants who have an EU passport if that job requires frequent and prolonged European travel? Could that be challenged?

It's been happening already. So far mainly for jobs in tourism, ski, sailing, etc, instructors, guides, leaders, managers, etc. But I expect this will also be the case for interpreters, international lawyers, accountants, marketing, and so much more.

Sago Sun 21-May-23 21:53:24

Fleurpepper

Camellia20

It's been happening already. So far mainly for jobs in tourism, ski, sailing, etc, instructors, guides, leaders, managers, etc. But I expect this will also be the case for interpreters, international lawyers, accountants, marketing, and so much more.

Our son only has a British passport, he lives and works in Oslo. It was perfectly straightforward to get his visa and residency.

NotSpaghetti Mon 22-May-23 05:03:41

paddyann54

You can do it if you have a great grandparent who is Irish I have a whole squad of them ,sadly I cant find their birth details apparently lost during the Rebellion .I'm heading for Donegal later this year to see if parish registers have them

Great idea. I have great-grandparents there too I thought lost in time.

NotSpaghetti Mon 22-May-23 05:07:22

Sago - but if he had an EU passport he wouldn't have needed to get visas etc and would be able to live and work anywhere in the EU.

I can't actually see why having a "way round it" is at all the same as losing the privilege of free movement.

NotSpaghetti Mon 22-May-23 05:29:01

Requests from British citizens to have Irish passports apparently surged 1,200% Since Brexit according to Bloomberg. Germany has the next highest applications.
Here is an article and chart from The Economist which only goes up to 2019.

www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/01/07/more-britons-than-ever-are-seeking-eu-passports?utm_medium=cpc.adword.pd&utm_source=google&ppccampaignID=18156330227&ppcadID=&utm_campaign=a.22brand_pmax&utm_content=conversion.direct-response.anonymous&gclid=CjwKCAjwgqejBhBAEiwAuWHioLQlGugO6FRjopdGKOhxiF5yzhY8BDFKqg9w3OwRBEJbLFoFjAGdvhoCdDEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Giving up passports - this is a thing too as you can't have dual citizenship in many countries:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-british-citizenship-renounced-b2256828.html

I also read (ages ago) of the diminished rights of residency v being a passport holder. But don't know how (or even if) this affects Norway, Sago. Some Gransnetters from Spain or France may have more knowledge on this.

NotSpaghetti Mon 22-May-23 05:29:58

P.S. in some countries I seem to remember you couldn't buy property.

JackyB Mon 22-May-23 07:47:51

Our son only has a British passport, he lives and works in Oslo. It was perfectly straightforward to get his visa and residency.

Sago - but if he had an EU passport he wouldn't have needed to get visas etc and would be able to live and work anywhere in the EU.

Norway is not in the EU.

vegansrock Mon 22-May-23 07:50:49

bUt Norway has a reciprocal arrangement with the EU no visas required.

fancythat Tue 23-May-23 17:59:01

MaizieD

fancythat

Both what? Vote for everyone to lose their freedom of movement then protect their own with an Irish passport?

Yes.

Brexit was far far from just this issue.

Not going to get into a debate about Brexit.
I was over that at least 3 years ago.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-May-23 08:31:39

fancythat you may have been "over" Brexit three years ago.

I think Brexit and the questions around it is very much alive - it really is just in its infancy.

I don't honestly believe we will (as a country) "get over" Brexit for generations.