Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Disinterested in grandchild

(119 Posts)
Paula50 Fri 10-Aug-18 15:14:51

I'm totally disinterested in my grandchild,I love her but if I only got to see her once or twice a year it would suite me.I found being a mum to young children hard and unenjoyable and I can't shake those feelings now I've a 3 yr old grandchild.I have tried I say the right things but I dont feel it ,we don't have her at our home or go to hers ,my husband hadn't seen her in 9 months .I feel bad to feel this way I love my daughter also but I just feel it done the young kids I don't want anything to do with them again,but of course I do do.It isn't something you voice to anyone because hey were all ment to adore them.

Harris27 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:20:39

I work with children but understand how you feel.imlive my grandchildren but wouldn't want them here all the he time. Perhaps it's my employment to blame I don't know.

travelsafar Sat 11-Aug-18 18:33:22

Sometimes the grandchildren are not in your life due to falling out with DIL, as in my case. I use to have my youngest one to stay for w/ends and holiday care up till last year, now i am am not allowed.I just wonder if she will ever know the reason why i am no longer part of her little life or does she even care.sad I was never really in the life of the two older ones and i never knew the reason why that happened, i felt that the youngest one was my time to be a real GP but now that is denyed I have tried and offered 'olive branches' but to no avail, so now have resigned myself that this is how it will be.I'll send birthday and Xmas money but i wont beg to be allowed in their lives anymore. I may not have much time left in this world so i am filling my life with other things it helps to mask the pain.

Jobey68 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:14:32

Ahh my little granddaughter gives us so much pleasure I cannot even put in to words how much we love her! To see my son become a father and the love he has for his little girl just melts me and as a cancer survivor I know how lucky I am to have even met her ❤️ All this from a women who couldn't wait for her children to grow up and leave home so I could get my husband all to myself again! ?

My MIL dipped in and out of my children's lives and they certainly noticed it as they got older as my mum adored them, children don't miss much and love is something they should be surrounded by.
I may be in the minority here but I find it bizzare that you have such little interest in the next generation you helped create, my dad at 79 is delighted to be here to see his great grandchildren arrive and we will be the same, bring it on!

MargaretX Sat 11-Aug-18 23:20:32

Some people have children because they had unprotected sex. That being so they often adore the baby when it arrives and often find out they like children.

I liked my own but in the refuge where I worked I opted out of child care. It was accepted because it was very popular with the other volunteers. I liked working with adults.

Paula50 you are not alone. You may find out that your GD becomes more interesting when she is older. Its nice to have GPs but its better to have really good parents.
I had two very indifferent grandmothers but a lovely mother and was very happy as a child.

Dolcelatte Sun 12-Aug-18 07:29:07

Paula, don't worry, you love her - that is enough. You will probably find that the relationship grows as she gets older.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Aug-18 08:08:23

Paula maybe it is best to stop analysing how you feel/ your emotiins. You may find love grows over time naturally as your GD grows.

basketlady Sun 12-Aug-18 11:15:29

I've been on GN for several years but I don't think any post has ever resonated as much as this one. I had my children ( 3 DD's) when I was very young because it was what you did. I loved them and cared for them, but my heart was never truly in it.I was only truly happy when I was able to have a career, be part of the world at large. As adults I get on really well with them, but it is more as a friend.They all now have children, but to me, that is what they are, my daughters' children.I love them and care about them,but in a different way.We all accept each other as we are, and that is our family.

Maggie50 Sun 12-Aug-18 14:31:44

Think of it from your daughter and granddaughter's point of view. I am 64 and my late mother always disliked me and showed it at every opportunity, even though she didn't think she did. I imagine your daughter is as fully aware of how you feel as I was with my mother. Perhaps you could explore what happened when your daughter was born that left you so unhappy with her and is now projected onto your grandchild. If you are to keep seeing them then I feel you need to address this because at the end of my mother's life I disliked her as much as she disliked me. The relationship was hers to mend as she was the adult but sadly she never did. There are no winners and it affects the child badly. I have two sons and four grandchildren . I had my sons when I was very young at 18 but I loved them and would do anything for them and my grandchildren are an indescribable joy.

Lilyflower Sun 12-Aug-18 16:47:19

Pedants' Corner Comment:-

I thinks you mean 'uninterested'. 'Disinterested means objective, impartial, not having an interest in one side or the other of a view.

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Aug-18 17:06:22

I wasn't going to point that out [shhhh]

Alima Sun 12-Aug-18 17:26:48

Lilyflower, shouldn’t you have written “I think”? “Me thinks” sounds more the type of thing a pirate would say. (Only saying).

Brismum Sun 12-Aug-18 17:46:41

She actually wrote “I thinks!” Typo rather than grammar I think!

4allweknow Mon 13-Aug-18 09:53:33

Surely your daughter knows how you feel. Has she commented on how little contact you have with GD? Whilst I would not wish to do a caring role on a regular basis I do look forward to helping out at school holidays. If you don't have a rapport with children you can't manufacture one. Do keep in touch though so they know they exist in your life.

eebeew Tue 14-Aug-18 04:01:33

I feel a bit like Paula with my grandchild although I was very much in love with my 3 children. She is a very quiet child and no trouble. My solution is to behave in every way as if I was crazy about her. I do quite a lot with her in the holidays and 3 afternoons a week after school. I believe that love is not the same thing as the emotion that usually goes along with it. The emotion is lovely but it’s not everything. I love her in that I want the very best for her and would be very upset if anything bad happened to her. I hope she will have happy memories of me and my OH.

eebeew Tue 14-Aug-18 04:02:53

Ps my daughter and other adult children have no idea how I feel and I would never tell them.

MaudLillian Wed 15-Aug-18 16:34:51

I am so sorry to read this. I found being a Mum tough too, but not all the time, and now my boys are grown up I regret the times I was not able to enjoy them as I felt I wanted to - but I was just worn to a frazzle so much of the time! I have a 15 month old granddaughter now, and she is the joy of my life - I love every moment I get to spend with her, which is about a couple of hours every 7 - 10 days, sometimes in sole care, sometimes on a visit with my son and his partner. I feel able to enjoy my time with her in a way I couldn't with my own children, with all the other pressures of being a wife, mother and homemaker. I can just play with her, really, and I love that. I do hope you can find a way to have a loving relationship with your granddaughter soon - childhood seems to fly by so fast. Every good wish to you and yours.

NannyB2604 Sun 19-Aug-18 17:15:02

Jalima1108 you don't seem to understand that sometimes people do expect to bond with their children/grandchildren but for many reasons this doesn't happen. You can't just send them back if you feel ambivalent towards them!

Framilode Sun 19-Aug-18 19:32:23

I was very young when my two girls were born. Being a mum didn't come naturally to me and I didn't really enjoy my children in the way I'd hoped. I think I was a good mother but I always had to say to myself 'now what would a good mother do now'

I love my grandchildren but can happily go several weeks without seeing them. Still prefer the company of adults to children.

We are all different.