Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What would you do in this Situation - Giving out Info.

(55 Posts)
PinkSweetPea Thu 07-Feb-19 10:08:03

I received a curt message off my son's partner last night saying she is not happy that I have given out their address to one of my friends of 20+ years , who has a son the same age as my son and a grandma herself and she always sends him a xmas and birthday card and I do the same for her family.

I would never give out their address online or to people I don't know.

My friend asked for his address when they first moved in together 5 years ago before they had their daughter, as she thought it would be nice for him to get the card at his new address, so I gave the address (this was 5years ago) and nothing was said by his partner then.

Well now suddenly she is moaning about it because they have their daughter now and she does not know my friend., my friend lives the other end of the country to them so is not going to be visiting them. Thing is they have recently moved from this address so in fact my friend does not have their new address.

How do I answer her message, I am very cross with her and have text my son this morning to tell him I don't like being told who I can give my sons address to, my friend is the only person who I gave their address to anyway, none of my relatives have their address.

She is a very controlling person and I see this as a way of controlling who he can have contact with, he has lost contact with all his friends from school days and has no friends where he lives now, its all her family. I feel sorry for him as he always seems sad nowadays.

I have not replied back to her yet but I want her to know I am upset by her message but what do I put.
Thanks

Madgran77 Mon 11-Feb-19 07:23:23

Apologise for giving it out without checking. Say you will not do that again. Its just not worth getting into an argument about. She/they are entitled to their view!

You expressed wider worries about your son's relationship etc but they are not relevant to this specific issue; your ILs/sons view of your action is the issue on this occasion and from their perspective you got it wrong about their address!

Prioritise your wider relationship with them, not this one incident

lemongrove Mon 11-Feb-19 08:55:49

Exactly Jane it’s easy to find an address, in fact considering the unsolicited rubbish that comes through the door, almost the whole world has your address.

OutsideDave Mon 11-Feb-19 23:17:39

????????????????

Chattypatty Wed 13-Feb-19 14:42:42

If I was the DIL, I would be annoyed by what is essentially junk mail from my MILs friend.