Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Christmas money for grown up grandkids

(82 Posts)
Lesley60 Sun 04-Oct-20 03:01:27

I don’t want to sound mean, but both my husband and I have recently retired, we only have our occupational pensions as we are not yet of age to receive state pension.
I have seven grandchildren and always give them all money for birthday and Christmas along with a pressy under the tree.
Two of the older grandkids are now in their twenties and I’m wondering if I would be mean if I just gave them a gift without giving them money as they earn good money themselves.

ElaineI Mon 02-Nov-20 23:06:44

I think an age limit is a good idea otherwise it gets out of control. We have 21 as an age for extended family. More is spent on GC now - still very young. And still get DC gifts but ask them to make a list. DGC get a book, a gift and clothes usually.

NotAGran55 Tue 03-Nov-20 06:59:09

As an extended family we only give gifts ? to two categories :-
In full time education or SEN . Currently 3 nieces and 1 SIL to buy for .

The money that my husband and I would have spent on each other goes to buying gifts for teenage boys in our local town. They attract the fewest donations in the annual charity collection.

midgey Tue 03-Nov-20 07:54:00

That is a good idea Notagran.

craftyone Tue 03-Nov-20 08:07:04

so madmother gives her AC £1000 each for christmas, that is nice but beware of the continuing expectation every year, it will be a difficult habit to break

I give my dgc £30 each in cash for christmas and birthdays. I expect I will stop when they leave home but will always be ready to step in and help out if needed. Getting a thank you is important to me, my sons in law never said thank for sent presents, so I don`t send them anything now, just a card.

Oopsminty Tue 03-Nov-20 08:10:59

I'm still trying to work out if my almost 40 year old daughter would be devastated not to receive an Advent Calendar.

It's very tricky. I've always given equal, ( as equal as can be) to all my children/grandchildren

But you have to work with how much money you have and if you're struggling, maybe just point out that money is scarce and the gifts, be they monetary or not, will be less substantial this year.

craftyone Tue 03-Nov-20 08:12:03

My six siblings all have children, we stopped buying presents for each other or the children in 1978, everyone agreed and relaxed. It was a ridiculous number of presents