Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do I love my grandson too much ?

(43 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Tue 03-Nov-20 18:56:41

As you probably remember , I posted recently to say how much I loved having my grandson round but was having trouble with my husband who is somewhat a reluctant grandad ,
I have been grateful for all your replies and now , I am posting to say that I sometimes wonder if i love my grandchild too much ?
What I mean by that is that I love seeing him etc but realise that in a few years time, he will have another life and I am worried that I wont know what to do with mine , having lost what is giving me a focus now
I haven’t got a great marriage and at the moment , can’t join groups etc because of COVID
Has anybody had similar feelings about their grandchildren ?
Would love to hear from you
Thanks

LadyBella Mon 07-Dec-20 22:29:17

I love my one and only GS and I will miss him dreadfully when he's grown up and I admit I'll feel absolutely lost however much else is in my life. I wish he would be young forever.

kircubbin2000 Mon 07-Dec-20 23:12:17

One of my grandsons has a personality that marks him out as a real character who will go on to be something special. I'm sorry I don't see him as much as he lives farther away but it's always nice to see him on Skype. Other gran has noticed this too and she will see him at Christmas.

Lucretzia Mon 07-Dec-20 23:18:39

Don't worry about how your relationship will be in the future!

Just enjoy him now

Astral Mon 07-Dec-20 23:23:27

Why would you ever feel wrong or guilty for loving anyone? Especially a child.

I don't know your last post but is it possible that this is coming from feeling happy with your grandchild and feeling unhappy in other parts of your life?

You are obviously a person with lots of love to give an you will find new places to find happiness in the future

welbeck Tue 08-Dec-20 00:43:45

i don't think being obsessed is the same as loving someone. not that i am saying that is the case here.
i don't know. but being obsessed is not healthy, for either party.

Sophiasnana Thu 10-Dec-20 14:30:46

Notjustaprettyface....I just chanced upon your post, and oh wow! Thats exactly how I’m feeling at the moment. I love my four grandchildren so much. My favourite thing in the world is spending time with them. But I’m so sad at how things are changing. They are now 10,9,8 and 6. Very independent.. And all they seem to want to do is play on their various ‘gadgets’ . Gone are the days when seeing nana was the most exciting thing ever. I now get a quick ‘hi nana’ and its back to the game. They still come for the odd sleepover, but only if I invite them . They never ask if they can come. I know I’m being silly. I have a happy marriage but nothing seems to cheer me up ar the moment.

Bridgeit Thu 10-Dec-20 16:20:25

Stay in the moment ,no one knows what the future holds.You are using up resources of energy trying to foresee the future & plan for it. Don’t let the present time be stolen by this worry.
I am not particularly religious, but I do like & find this phrase from the bible a comfort .:
‘Sufficient unto the day says the Lord’
Enjoy what you have now Best wishes

Toadinthehole Fri 11-Dec-20 14:59:25

Awww no, just enjoy?. He won’t be cute forever, and when this covid is out of the way.....you’ll most likely make more of your life without realising you’re doing it. As Bridgeit points out, Jesus said “let the day’s troubles be sufficient for the day, and don’t focus on tomorrow”. Chances are it won’t be what you expect anyway?.

timetogo2016 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:14:57

Spot on Luckygirl.
My two g/sons used to sleep over and i loved it and made the most of it as i knew only too well the day would come when they would feel too old to stop at mine.
And that day came 18 months ago sadly.
But the memories are wonderfull and they mention quite often how they loved staying with me and all the things we got up to.
The youngest one told me only last week that he thinks i`m the best g/ma in the world which bought tears tomy eyes aswell as his mothers.
So enjoy whilst you can and the memories will always bring a smile to your face.
How sad though your dh won`t have special memories.

timetogo2016 Fri 11-Dec-20 15:16:51

Ps .No you don`t love them too much,there`s no such thing as loving too much in my opionion.

Nanny2020 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:50:34

I totally have those feelings, my first granddaughter moved in with me and my husband with her mum and dad at 1 month because of Covid and they just left after 11 months ? I saw her every day and helped for hours looking after her and more recently playing and we both developed a real huge bond. I am grieving, sad , missing her So ! Way more than missing my son and DIL . I feel like I let myself get too bonded, it hurts so much now , but I couldn’t help it it’s Covid and everything is exaggerated I’m a naturally very maternal person , and worry now whether she will forget me as she’s only 11 months. So an older child will always have a natural fondness for you , even if things change it will be gradual I’m sure ! Enjoy the time you have, it’s a gift , be in each moment and push the future worries away!

Jackie12 Sat 20-Feb-21 09:47:49

Hi.
I started a similar post recently and have just seen yours. The bond is so strong isnt it. But i do think we are in the majority and lots of grans feel the same. Maybe its a matriarchal protectionist role. Im 57 and my own nan died when i was 25. I know our bond was strong although i didnt see so much of her as I'd moved to France we wrote regularly and i saw her a few times a year. She and my grandad came over twice and she was so pleased to tell her friends all about it. I still feel her love today and smile at the silly things we did together. I guess she felt the same for me as i now do for my grandson. So it never leaves you. Enjoy him! Lots of love. Jackie

Shirlb Sat 20-Feb-21 10:07:51

Enjoy them while they young because like own children will soon be gone smile

PamelaJ1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:38:11

I’m glad I loved my DGS too much before he got to the grunting stage!
I look forward to loving him too much again in, I hope, the not too distant future.

Granny23 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:52:47

I'm not much into mantras, etc. but this one really resonates;

Today, is the tomorrow, I worried about yesterday - and all is well.

annodomini Sat 20-Feb-21 11:07:00

I have three grandsons and I love each one in a slightly different way. Now they are all teenagers, one got through puberty so easily you wouldn't have noticed, a second one was monstrous but I loved him nevertheless and I was the one his dad would ring up and ask me to talk him round. Now he has a girlfriend and is no longer a trouble-maker at home or at school; the third is still pubescent and during the lockdown has become nocturnal! He still likes a cuddle and has a hug like a grizzly bear. The point is that, even though they are no longer cute little toddlers, I've always loved them through each phase of development.

Polarbear2 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:10:50

Agree with posts above. Enjoy your time now. I’ve had the same thoughts in past months but came to the conclusion that I can get more involved with groups etc once my GC have started school. Post divorce I now think of my life in terms of ‘era’s’. Married life was a long era. Single life was a shorter one. Living with a partner is another one. GCs is another which I know will change over time. They are all equally valid and we learn from each. Just to be aware they end and another will start. Enjoy this one ?