Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Distant daughter

(64 Posts)
Menonan Thu 25-Mar-21 21:11:02

Hi everyone,I'm new here but just wanted some advice really
My daughter who I've always got on with has grown very distant with me since she got married and had a family. She lives nearer to her in-laws than she does to me but it's about a twenty minutes drive to my house so not too far. The problem I'm basically having is that she doesn't contact me at all for a chat or anything, the only time I hear from her is if she wants me to babysit. She spends weekends with her in-laws going for days out etc but I never see her. I decided to make a real effort to keep in contact via phone so phoned her once a week for a few weeks for a chat but I missed a couple of weeks due to being ill and there was no return contact at all, if I don't make the effort I don't hear anything
I was looking after my grandson while she was at work but that stopped because of covid and I've been ill so haven't felt able to look after him. I also work and am struggling to stay fit enough for work. I was finding the childcare really hard and was actually relieved to get a break but I didn't think this would mean I wouldn't see my grandson again. I don't get to spend time with him unless I'm looking after him
I'm not sure what to do about this situation, I don't want to fall out with her but I also don't like feeling like I'm being taken for granted or used just for childcare

2020convert Sat 27-Mar-21 17:52:46

She posts on Facebook about what they've been up to

Do you add a comment to her posts? I know it’s easy to feel neglected but do hang in there, and, as I said previously don’t be afraid to show emotion by telling her you miss her. Good luck ?

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 17:54:50

Ok after reading all the replies apart from one I am feeling that the take home from this is that it's more common than I thought and it's not just me, I feel reassured by everyone's advice apart from one persons and I will act on all of your good ideas. I can see some ways of contact that aren't too time consuming ,I forget about text messages being a valid form of communication as I'm not really someone who uses a phone for this purpose but I will give it a try
Thanks for the help everyone,I feel much better about the situation now ?

crazyH Sat 27-Mar-21 17:55:19

*”That’s life. We bring our children up to lead full, independent lives, they don’t owe us anything. I don’t expect anything so then I’m not disappointed.”*- from Nitpick - that sums it up

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 17:59:59

ExaltedWombat

She's a young Mum. Her life revolves around supporting her child. Yes, everyone is rated by how much help they can offer! It's not about you.

Sorry I don't agree, I brought two children up and they spent time with both sets of grandparents neither of whom ever babysat, no one should be rated only by how much help they can offer. Me and my friends helped each other out when we needed to but I would never have only contacted them by rating how much help they would be to me

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 18:15:12

crazyH

*”That’s life. We bring our children up to lead full, independent lives, they don’t owe us anything. I don’t expect anything so then I’m not disappointed.”*- from Nitpick - that sums it up

I agree they don't owe us anything,I just don't like being used and then cast aside when I'm no longer deemed useful as that is what I was feeling like. Now I have have read about others experiences I don't feel it's that unusual

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 18:21:12

2020convert

She posts on Facebook about what they've been up to

Do you add a comment to her posts? I know it’s easy to feel neglected but do hang in there, and, as I said previously don’t be afraid to show emotion by telling her you miss her. Good luck ?

Thanks for your help ? I always make a positive comment on any photos she posts. I would never want her to feel beholden to me and wouldn't ever tell her how I feel about the situation because I wouldn't want her to be upset, I've really bent over backwards trying not to be the interfering parent/ mother in law so maybe I've not done myself any favours. I'm thinking now I need to be a lot more proactive and just see what happens,I'm glad I posted though because most of the answers have been really useful. I will keep plodding on ?

Qwerty Sat 27-Mar-21 19:16:22

I agree with you most recent post and with ChattyKathy you need to be proactive. We have two daughters and they are the same. We get on well, it's nothing personal, they are just busy and often "don't think". We get contacted quickly for childcare, brief interaction at pick ups, partly because children are then tired and squabbly. However, when we suggest meeting occasionally, we all enjoy ourselves, the GC too, and it makes it easier to suggest another outing a few weeks later. Also you get GC onside because they want to see you. Good luck.

ReadyMeals Sat 27-Mar-21 20:01:00

She probably feels you and she are in frequent contact if you're reading and commenting on each other's Facebook posts etc. I think these days valid communication isn't just direct phone calls any longer, social media is a pretty good alternative, especially since that way you can see all the photos as well. She's a long way from being like some of the adult children we hear about on here, who rarely return texts even. I think I'd advise don't mention how you've been feeling about it, in case it spoils the good relationship you have. You know if you're not doing stuff together that needs discussing, sometimes its hard to think of something to talk about to justify making an actual phone call. One idea might be playing online games together, or Facebook do something called a Watch Party where you both watch something together while in a sort of "chat" so you can talk about what you're seeing as you might if you were on the same sofa watching. Maybe include her kids as well if they are old enough

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 20:14:44

Qwerty

I agree with you most recent post and with ChattyKathy you need to be proactive. We have two daughters and they are the same. We get on well, it's nothing personal, they are just busy and often "don't think". We get contacted quickly for childcare, brief interaction at pick ups, partly because children are then tired and squabbly. However, when we suggest meeting occasionally, we all enjoy ourselves, the GC too, and it makes it easier to suggest another outing a few weeks later. Also you get GC onside because they want to see you. Good luck.

I think that's what I'm going to do,I'm now thinking from her point of view my not wanting to be too full on might have come across as not interested or too busy maybe.I will definitely keep up the communication, I last saw them at Christmas and we did have a lovely time

Menonan Sat 27-Mar-21 20:18:28

ReadyMeals

She probably feels you and she are in frequent contact if you're reading and commenting on each other's Facebook posts etc. I think these days valid communication isn't just direct phone calls any longer, social media is a pretty good alternative, especially since that way you can see all the photos as well. She's a long way from being like some of the adult children we hear about on here, who rarely return texts even. I think I'd advise don't mention how you've been feeling about it, in case it spoils the good relationship you have. You know if you're not doing stuff together that needs discussing, sometimes its hard to think of something to talk about to justify making an actual phone call. One idea might be playing online games together, or Facebook do something called a Watch Party where you both watch something together while in a sort of "chat" so you can talk about what you're seeing as you might if you were on the same sofa watching. Maybe include her kids as well if they are old enough

Hi, I hadn't thought of Facebook seeming like keeping in touch, I only used it if any family post something, I like all the ideas you've mentioned,I'm not very good with tech and only have an iPad but I'm sure we would be able to sort something out ?

Buffy Sun 28-Mar-21 10:24:47

Sad but it seems to be a typical situation these days, made worse by Covid.

Chinesecrested Sun 28-Mar-21 11:32:20

Have a few family events and invite her and the family. Maybe a Sunday lunch next Sunday? Ie Easter Sunday? Bbq's in the garden during the summer? It will help reconnect with her, hopefully.

Menonan Sun 28-Mar-21 19:39:05

Chinesecrested

Have a few family events and invite her and the family. Maybe a Sunday lunch next Sunday? Ie Easter Sunday? Bbq's in the garden during the summer? It will help reconnect with her, hopefully.

Thanks, I will do this but we aren't allowed at the moment ?