Gransnet forums

House and home

Help calm me. House buying and selling stress *Part 9*

(996 Posts)
Spice101 Sun 08-May-22 05:26:43

Part 9

Link to previous threads

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1301322-Help-calm-me-House-buying-and-selling-stress?msgid=29374951

Whiff Thu 19-May-22 09:28:31

Oopsadaisy if you are having your bathroom altered due to health or mobility problems you can claim the VAT back on the fittings not work or tiles but it has to be fitted by a trademan. When I had my new shower room done got £550 back. You have a form to fill in from the place where you get your fittings from. I used a local home improvements company they sent me to a trade place and let me have their discount. They had already put my new kitchen in and again sent me to trade place and gave me their discount same with the flooring and tile place. Also sent me to place for my new internal doors had 15% of doors and door furniture. Had unfinished oak doors 3 glazed 3 solid and my decorator used a wax varnish on them brought up the beautiful grain.

If you look on your local council website there may be grants you can get for new insulation etc. They are usually age related. But worth a look.

Franbern Thu 19-May-22 09:29:21

Shandy have you asked the flooring people if they would take up and dispose of your existing carpet. Would be a small extra charge, but would save you a lot of work. I have reached the time in my life where I am not able to do such things - and have found most companies are very helpful if asked. Still think you must have a very good case against your surveyor for having missed that damp(wet) and mould.

In the past I did everything involving wherever I lived. Painting, wall papering, (never touched electricity, gas or water), but did take down and rebuilt a small internal wall between two bedrooms. Only thing I ever had real problems with was laying a fitted carpet in a small bedroom (now I know I needed a special tool for that).

I enjoyed flat-pack furniture - big and small - always put it together by myself. However, now I have neither the strength nor the stamina to do anything like that, and have found out the wonders of having people to do things for me.

Kitchen nearly finished. This morning the fitters are here putting on the splashbacks. So much better than the tiled walls we used to have - smooth and easy to keep clean. They have set up their working in our flat;s small car park, running electricity from my flat through a landing window to go down there. For a short while it looked like rain, and they quickly put up a large gazebo for them to work under. grin. Later today, electrician will come to finish his work, and tomorrow my flooring will go down.

One of my joys about these flats is how many VERY old people are living here - all independently living - but our oldest will be 104 this year, and there are several in their nineties. So, at close to 81 - I feel like a youngster. Get a great deal of good feelings when I am able to assist any of those 'old' people with anything - usually sorting out phone calls, making appointments etc. It really is a truism that giving help is so very rewarding. Love it that so many of them know and do telephone or ask me to assist.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 19-May-22 09:29:31

Sadly yogi there is nothing you can do, unless you want to tackle his garden or pay someone else to do it.
And I’m afraid you will have to keep your dog out of his area if you want it to stay safe.
At least you have a nice view from your living room window.

One of our neighbours ( other side of the road thank goodness) still has his fathers car in his front garden, (father died 30 years ago,) along with his old van and it hasn’t been weeded for at least 10 years, you can imagine how it looks.

Yoginimeisje Thu 19-May-22 09:32:54

Sorry to hear about all you are still going through Shandy bet you are wishing you had my problems instead of yours! But when you are all finished it will be heaven.

From what my neighbour has said, I don't think he looks after his garden, he just moves things around to make it look like he does angry

Yoginimeisje Thu 19-May-22 09:34:20

Off to work back tomorrow...

maytime2 Thu 19-May-22 09:44:22

Shandy Re the mouldy smell on your clothes. Add a cup of vinegar to water and leave the clothes to soak for a couple of hours, then rinse. I think you'll find that the smell goes away.

I got rid of an horrendous smell last year when my son-in-law "forgot" that his wet trousers that he had been fishing in, were left for a few days in the boot of the car.

Shandy57 Thu 19-May-22 12:54:57

Thank you maytime2, I'll give that a try.

I've just phoned the company and they won't remove the carpets, I do have to do it - she mentioned doing the job in 'rooms' and having a breather the weekend before the 'second week' which I queried, looks like it is going to be longer than four days. Surveyor is phoning me when he is in later today. I feel all panicky but I know it's just anxiety, it only took me about three hours to remove the carpet from the lounge when the roof came off and I've got eight weeks! Just can't do it in advance because of the mould, I don't want to be exposed to it for longer than I have to. I'm off to buy some big plastic boxes for stage one of the packing, and might buy some wine, feel like a stiff drink!

aggie Thu 19-May-22 15:29:04

Shandy buy a mask that filters out the mould before you start , I think you should get them in a builders suppliers

Shandy57 Thu 19-May-22 17:35:34

Just back from Homebase, plastic boxes are so expensive! And for some reason their 'stacks' of boxes have water in, perhaps they were outside for a time. Just spent £60 on seven boxes, and am going to repurpose the ones I already have ie I've got to repack almost everything!

Thanks aggie, I will get a good mask and about a gallon of white vinegar which kills some moulds to mop over the floors afterwards. Surveyor didn't ring, so still don't know what's happening.

Just had a what if moment - my son's best friend and partner are viewing my neighbour's house. Wouldn't that have been nice!

karmalady Fri 20-May-22 07:21:58

I do like chatty posts and franbern, just about finished, a dream coming true

I am really sorry and sad to see that some home moves have not turned into fairytales, many people hide so much when they sell. I do now understand the sheer number of solicitor questions, they cannot tie up every potential problem but must save heartbreak for some. Even with professional help, it is always `buyer beware` but at the end of the day we buy our homes on maybe two visits and a surveyors report, the biggest purchase of our lives and there is just not enough protection for the buyer

I have been busy sewing, getting clothes made for the cold months not that far away, the winter cloth sales were on a few weeks ago. I have plenty for summer but needed cool season clothes. It has been very enjoyable tbh and I do like the fabrics, no polyester in sight

What a lot of rain we have had, my 72 ground covers put in last friday, will be off to a very good start. My gooseberries are already plumping and I need to be sorted soon, as I will bottle most and freeze some

The sweep rang me yesterday, he is already booking customers in and I am booked for the end of may, better to have it done before the rush

Joseanne Fri 20-May-22 07:50:16

Oh Shandy you really do keep this thread busy with your house problems. So nice that everyone offers helpful suggestions. My offer is that once you have finished you must come back to Devon and stay here, (if you don't mind large dogs!)
I am still waiting for my new kitchen design to be drawn up, so I have been taking note of Franbern's progress. I hope you get your peace and quiet back next week.
Having just returned from holiday my agapanthus need to go in this week, followed by loads of lavender plants and grasses to create a Mediterranean style garden in which to sip rosé on sunny (??) days! ? ?
Good luck to all!

Shandy57 Fri 20-May-22 08:33:15

Morning all, quite overcast this morning.

I hope you are able to enjoy your new kitchen soon Franbern. Can we see a photo please?

Ah chimneys - so glad not to worry about the wood burner 'burning red' or not burning properly karmalady. I remember being in the garden with the binoculars trying to see where the smoke was coming out of the damaged chimney. The men that charged me £500 used cement, so their repair didn't last.

ha ha Joseanne, I doubt my late husband would have entertained my problems and would probably have spent a lot longer on the golf course! I am pleased that my son has agreed to help me with the carpet removal, I need to source strong large black sacks so we can roll it/tape it/bag it as we go. My dog will have to go in the car for safety, it's going to be a filthy job with the slimy mould, I'll have all the windows open. Thank you so much for your kind offer, I definitely need a holiday. How exciting you are also having your kitchen redesigned. Enjoy your gardening, still too cold up here for tender plants and tender people - no Pimms until mid June!

Yoginimeisje Fri 20-May-22 09:12:20

I wish you luck on getting your carpets up Shandy very nice of your son to help you, sounds like a very unpleasant job!

Franbern Fri 20-May-22 09:13:17

In the final part of kitchen hit a small hiccup. My fitters had moved back my washing machine, so I could use it. I was concerned as to what would happen when the flooring people came (today), and the fitters said that. surely. they are used to moving such articles in and out of position. Fortunately, I did telephone the flooring company yesterday to confirm them coming today. only to be told, firmly, that 'No. they will NOT move any such items and their terms and conditions state that area must be clear of such items'.

Small panic on my part, phoned kitchen fitters and they kindly popped in first thing this morning and moved that washing machine out again. This afternoon, I will (and have asked flooring man and he has agreed), get my Fridge/Freezer moved into its proper position - and out of my living room. Next Thursday, final visit by kitchen people to put in kickboards, etc and they will then move my washing machine and dishwasher into their positions.

Had I used the flooring company my kitchen fitters use, this would not have been a problem. Can't be helped, and my flooring is being laid as I write this.

My fitter did go through everything in the kitchen with me - and showed me how to use, safely, the new boiling water part of the tap. That was fine, but I then tried to turn the other part of it on (the normal hot/cold) all on one lever on the right. I pushed it backwards - the forwards and nothing happened. The fitter looked at me quizzickly - then pulled it to the side - and water came out!!!! They have set the clocks on both the oven and combi/microwave - will need to start learning how to use them now.

So pleased that this is my final day with the 'kitchen' in my living room. I am painting the bits of the walls which need it - yesterday afternoon managed to do the alcove in which the Fridge/freezer will go. Will finish that all over the weekend, and -,hopefully, will finish unpacking over those days also. Be good to get back to normal again. Will need a new roller blind and will get my usual lady to do this for me - just a plain grey one. I only use this during the dark winter months - so no rush. With the new configuration, I can now look out of the window when at the my glorious new black sink. Have given that a good oiling with mineral oil.

Will do pictures after next Thursday when it is totally complete.

Yoginimeisje Fri 20-May-22 09:19:37

Oopsadaisy1

Sadly yogi there is nothing you can do, unless you want to tackle his garden or pay someone else to do it.
And I’m afraid you will have to keep your dog out of his area if you want it to stay safe.
At least you have a nice view from your living room window.

One of our neighbours ( other side of the road thank goodness) still has his fathers car in his front garden, (father died 30 years ago,) along with his old van and it hasn’t been weeded for at least 10 years, you can imagine how it looks.

Thanks Oops I am tempted to have a go this weekend, not sure what's best with the very long grass; a strimmer or the lawn mover? Only thing is, if I do it this time he will expect me to continue doing it, I would think, which would be every 2 weeks and I really don't want the extra work.

The only way to stop my little dog going over is to put fences up where the gaps are, top & bottom, but think that will look very unfriendly. My little dog bounds over to him when he goes into he's garden and they both make a fuss of each other, which is lovely to see. I don't want to make my neighbour unhappy.

Franbern Fri 20-May-22 10:55:20

Yogi, I do think that if you do your neighbours grass cutting once........then it will just be assumed you will continue to do so.

He is, obviously, not interested in keeping his garden neat, nor to paying someone else to do it. Just one of those things you have to live with.

Is this the same person with whom you hoped to negotiate a deal about an off-street parking place? If so, then it could well be the time to have a bargaining chat - you to have that and to cut his grass for the next year, etc. etc.

Otherwise, just have fence put up to stop your dog going over there. Life is all about compromise.

Shandy57 Fri 20-May-22 11:36:34

I hate doing my grass and do fet it done eventually, it needs doing right now. I'd love a neighbour to do it for me!

For anyone strimming, please please check for hedgehogs nesting. Our local rescue has just had one bought in with serious facial injuries.

Franbern Fri 20-May-22 12:15:01

Yes, the rain have caused all grass to grow fast. At my house, although I did have a gardener, I used to cut the small lawn. Mower was kept plugged into garage/shed at the end of the garden, so could just wheel that out and up and down half a dozen times, and it was all done. My pet hatred was the ivy that my next door neighbour encouraged to grown up and above our joint6 foot high fence.
Gave my little mower to my daughter down here. Went over there yesterday for a meal and sat in the garden first - Grass was very high.
Do not miss not having a garden now!!!!!

Yoginimeisje Sat 21-May-22 07:23:00

Cricky, All kicked off now with my neighbour!

I watched a you-tube on how to best cut long grass, it said strimmer, but hard work! I showed my son and he said he'd have a go, but of course it lashed down all day, so couldn't do it, I even took my little dog out to the park in the rain as it didn't look like it was going to clear.

As we'd decided we'd have a go, I went out and cleared it up a bit, putting he's wheelbarrow & plastic bags of garden rubbish up the back of he's garden, it looked a lot better just doing that and made me feel happier. I then took 2 of he's old fences, one of many left probed up against the next garden's fence. I managed to prop them up near the end of he's garden to stop my little dog going in at the back, job done for now and it all looked a lot better.

Later he appeared at my patio windows, calling me to come out and balled me out for touching he's stuff. I said; I need to keep my little dog out of your garden as it's a health risk, there could be snakes or rats etc in that long grass! [yes and hedgehogs Shandy] He poho'ed all that and then went and undid all I had done, even bring the plastic bags of rubbish back to the front of he's garden, right under my kitchen windows.

He then told me to keep my dog on a lead all the time if I don't want him to go in he's garden. I then told him we had planned to clear he's garden for him, but due to the rain, couldn't. I then told him 'Sod it, you can now do it yourself'

Yoginimeisje Sat 21-May-22 07:59:28

I posted the above quickly as it's all kicked off in my road! A women screaming she'd had enough, a man saying where/give me the keys. The guy over the road ran out in just he's underpants, no shoes even, a big foray in the middle of the road, some other neighbours came out and then 3 police cars arrived! It was from one of the 2 lovely bungalows set back slightly, just a house away. Before the police arrived it looked like it was getting very serious and that someone would get badly hurt. Police still there, but all quiet now.

Well that eclipsed my barney grin

Allsorts Sat 21-May-22 08:08:16

Oh dear Yoga, he is a problem and sounds as if its the kid glove approach although it sticks in your throat. Everything has to be his way or no way. The last thing you need is a stand off. I would have a fence and tell him it because you have taken on board what he has said about needing one so he thinks he’s won, say you don’t want your little dog to be a nuisance.
I have been trying to plug up the courage to move for years but have worried about being in an apartment or smaller place because of having bad neighbours. However my current ones have become a big problem. Debating whether I put the house on market now in the hope of finding somewhere, as time is slipping by and jobs, , soon to be big ones, need doing.
Do any of you regret downsizing.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 21-May-22 08:08:29

Crikey yogi you certainly have ‘interesting’ neighbours, your neighbour sounds like our chap across the road, quite happy to live in a tip.
Please don’t strim without looking out for hedgehogs, a lot of them have babies at the moment, also it’s ‘No Mow May’ so at least he’s keeping the wildlife safe, I suggest you just avert your eyes!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 21-May-22 08:15:35

allsorts we downsized over 20 years ago, we put 2 extra bedrooms and a loo in the roof of our bungalow, they can all be closed off when not used, leaving us the downstairs, at the moment we are fit and well, but at least we know we won’t have to negotiate the stairs if we have problems. We are trying to get our bathroom sorted to a shower room ( still trying to get a quote) we have a fair bit of garden but it’s mostly lawns apart from the veg plot and we can always get a chap in to cut the grass. However we are detached, with high hedges and we have plenty of parking on our own plot, which all helps to give us our own space.
We are very lucky with our neighbours though and that is such a relief.
The only potential problem on the horizon is that they have cancelled our (weekly) bus and we are at least 7 miles away from our Doctors and chemists so if we can’t drive that might become an issue.

Franbern Sat 21-May-22 08:17:31

Oh dear, Yogi - I have always said that none of us know what goes on behind peoples front doors. The most perfect homes and partnerships can actually be quite devastating. So sad for those people, they will feel so embarrassed about that public scene.

Such a pity that your own neighbour did not understand that you were actually trying to help re. the garden. Whose fence is it? His or yours? Do not get into any confrontation with him - remember that IF you do go ahead and decide to move again, you will have to declare any arguments with neighbours.

This morning, - for the first time in a fortnight - I have been able to resume my normal morning procedure of getting up, put on dressing gown, brekkie, laptop, relax for an hour before actually getting showered and dressed. Wonderful!!! No workman coming here. Today, I will do some more painting, continue unpacking - loads of stuff to go down to my garage for storage either to sell onwards or ready for car boot sale. Tomorrow hope to be able get nearly back to normal and get down to final cleaning flat from dust. Did have a bit of a battle yesterday evening with my new microwave. Do wish that Instruction booklets were written more comprehensibly.
Shandy, do not envy you having to get that horrible mouldy carpet all up and disposed of. At least it is during the summer months and you can leave windows and doors open - it would be so much worse in the winter.

Be good to hear some good news from any on this thread who are int he final stages of moving.

Fleur20 Sat 21-May-22 08:45:30

Sorry Yogi, but I think you are pushing boundaries and buttons to go into someones garden and start tidying up without previous discussion and agreement!
My garden is my sanctuary and MINE! It is not tidy, it is not a garden to sit out in, but it is what I want it to be.... and heaven help anybody who comes in and touches anything.
Your dog should stay in your garden and it is up to you to make it dog proof.
Just because you window overlooks your neighbours garden you do not have any jurisdiction over that garden.