Gransnet forums

News & politics

Phillip Scofield Why all the Fuss

(440 Posts)
glammanana Fri 07-Feb-20 12:14:44

Why is his private life so important to everyone he is a lovely man and shouldn't have to explain himself to the media if he was the man next door would anyone be bothered I doubt it.

Atqui Fri 07-Feb-20 13:06:19

Everyone posting at once!

lavenderzen Fri 07-Feb-20 13:06:40

Feel sorry for his wife and daughters. Rings of everything I would expect of Schofield, wants to be in the limelight. Never liked him.

MawB Fri 07-Feb-20 13:10:45

I think there is a difference between someone “coming out” (perhaps because a revealing article might be about to be published?) but ultimately about something personal and perfectly legal and a Scottish Cabinet Minister “grooming” a 16 year-old boy!
There is something quite worrying about the SNP these days - this, Alex Salmond, Angus MacNeill’s self-admitted “foolishness” with a Church of Scotland minister’s teenage daughter, and MarkMcDonald’s “ sexting” scandal.
This is not a question of personal and private sexuality, but at the least sleaze and at worst criminal.
What is wrong with some politicians these days?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:18:33

Actually re the SNP case, I think the sex of the young person is irrelevant. It just adds a frisson of salacious delight for some. And I agree rechis family, we have no idea if they knew or not and if so for how long. And why should we know? It’s hortible how already on this thread people are bringing in their views about him as a person. You don’t know him and anyway it’s irrelevant.

NannyJan53 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:18:55

These days there is no need to make a statement about 'coming out' surely?

I feel sad for his wife. I have been in the same position, as my 1st husband left myself and children in the 80's as he decided he was gay. It was harder to come out then, but now it shouldn't have to be.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:21:27

Feel sorry for his wife and children

Kandinsky Fri 07-Feb-20 13:22:50

I’m pretty sure his ‘wife’ knew.

EllanVannin Fri 07-Feb-20 13:25:37

As with most " celebrities " ( I loathe that phrase ) they are so affected that the least thing said or done causes such huge outpourings of attention-seeking "luvvies " you'd think that they'd really achieved something. ( rolls eyes )

MawB Fri 07-Feb-20 13:25:57

Granted suzuewoozie I will rephrase that as a “16 year-old child”
Better?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:27:09

Nanny if you are being threatened by the gutter press ( and I did say if)!then there is almost certainly s need to make your own statement. That way your statement becomes the story, you sort it manage it, and why not? I remember the awful case of Gordon and Sarah Brown having to ‘come out’ about their little child having CF. Their first child had died tragically at a few days old. The Sun ( under that rat Rebecca Wade has got hold of the second child’s medical records and basically said to the Browns ‘give us an interview or we’ll publish anyway’ I sometimes think we forget just how unnecessarily vile most of our press are.

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:28:21

There was no need for the sarcastic ‘better?’ Maw

3nanny6 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:29:45

To posters who wrote some posts about the mention of "coming out" I only used that term because I do like to watch the documentaries about peoples lives and those who are gay or lesbian often use the term "coming out" when speaking about telling those closest to them about their sexual identity, so I am assuming this is a often used word not by me but those from LBGT.
Yes it is perfectly legal for P. Scofield to live his life and declare his now chosen sexual identity that's his personal choice.
The argument could be that the Scottish Minister was still in the realms of being legal,(please quote if you know different) as I do not have a clue for age of consent regarding homosexuality although I do believe any of those acts must be done in private. Yes it is sleazy but if the age of consent is 16 then that is a different kettle of fish.
A sexual health clinic can be an eye-opener I have been employed in one. Without saying too much every so often we would have "rent boys" coming in needing check ups etc,
they were young but were prostituting themselves out just to earn money it was extremely sad.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Feb-20 13:30:49

suziewoozie

Where have you been?

Nobody is interested in this 'outing' malarkey any more

It's not the 1980s

MawB Fri 07-Feb-20 13:31:23

“Sarcastic” ?
I thought you were complaining about my use of the word “boy”
If not what on Earth were you banging on about?

ninathenana Fri 07-Feb-20 13:32:00

Watching BBC 1 and said to DH why has he bothered to "come out" to the public after all these years. Nobody's business but his.

Smileless2012 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:32:29

If someone was going to 'out' him he did the right thing IMO making a statement. Only his family know how long they've known but he must have told them before making a public declaration.

Marilla Fri 07-Feb-20 13:33:02

This will run and run. I predict a book about his life journey to be released for Christmas 2020 with a run of interviews on every chat show available.
These folks don’t live in the real world. They think we actually care. I am so tired of nothing but celebs and their life style being thrust upon us. It’s difficult to avoid, even when reading the Guardian!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:36:33

I wish him and his whole family well. By making this statement he has taken control of his story.
If he was forced into doing so by the media it is appalling.

crazyH Fri 07-Feb-20 13:42:40

Ninathenana - as I said earlier, he is doing this now just to deflect attention from the "alleged" bullying accusation, made by Ruth.

paddyanne Fri 07-Feb-20 13:44:47

Not the same a Derek McKay at all .Derek was a stupid fool to txt the 16 year old and his resignation was needed . However why did his mother not take it to the police instead of the Sun ?Cant judge a whole party by an eegit...or there wouldn't be ANY parties in WM at all

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 13:47:19

I always assumed that he was gay anyway. It seemed plain as day to me. I have no idea why he felt the need to announce it, though. How is it relevant to being a TV personality? Will we reach the stage where we all have to declare our sexuality?

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 13:55:17

The arguing has started! ?

suziewoozie Fri 07-Feb-20 13:56:40

I really don’t understand your post at all Oops

ananimous Fri 07-Feb-20 13:59:53

@paddyanne Derek (Mackay, 40something) was a stupid fool to txt a 16yr old

Try: filthy pervert.
I just can't understand those of you who minimise his grooming of a child.
Unbelievable - or maybe that is what some people view as their "normal".

Sick people targeting our youngsters.

SalsaQueen Fri 07-Feb-20 14:01:32

I couldn't give a monkey's about whether he, or anyone else, is gay/straight/other. With all that's going off in the world, it's not news.

On reflection, he's always seemed quite effeminate though.