Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Johnson getting bored?

(206 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 13:42:50

It occurred to me yesterday that we have seen little of the PM in recent days. Not as if anything much is happening, what with serious flooding, an international health crisis and now the stock markets in freefall. I wondered if perhaps he is getting bored with the tedium of being PM? Before this weeks PMQs he has not been seen in public for 12 days. Perhaps is OK for him to be holed up in Chequers over the weekend? What do you think??

travelsafar Fri 28-Feb-20 13:45:26

I wonder if Cummings has advised him to keep a low profile in case he makes any mistakes which he has done in the past. Lying low means he doesn't run the risk of saying something he shouldn't!! smile

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 13:49:53

Or hiding in a fridge or being heckled. Or being you know accountable and statesmanlike ( apparently you can inherit the latter quality?)

Greymar Fri 28-Feb-20 13:50:55

You never seem to see any politicians with any gravitas or air of knowing what's going on do you? I saw a clip of TM briefly last night and almost felt nostalgic.

Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 13:54:00

Greymar - I had similar thoughts about TM - come back all is forgiven! Well maybe not all.......

MaizieD Fri 28-Feb-20 13:55:15

Cummings has them all on lock down.

NannyJan53 Fri 28-Feb-20 13:58:40

He doesn't need to show any interest does he, as he has such a large majority. I expect we will see him more in the year leading up to the next Election though hmm

Opal Fri 28-Feb-20 13:58:48

Oh, another Boris bashing thread, so predictable.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:00:28

I love bashing Boris! What else can we do? The man is a joke!

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:00:28

I love bashing Boris! What else can we do? The man is a joke!

trisher Fri 28-Feb-20 14:02:07

Oh now come on he has been seen!! He was at the Conservative Winter Party, organised by his mate who arranged his Christmas break and a dodgy ex-trader, of course you needed lots of cash to even be there, but the idea that no-one has seen him is so wrong. It's just the poor sods who voted for him!

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 14:02:25

Unlike the MM and DA bashing threads which are full of balance, nuance, rationality, logic, thoughtfulness, compassion, measured and so thought provoking ?? Who knew? What to do?

trisher Fri 28-Feb-20 14:02:31

See here! www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/26/carphone-warehouse-founder-helped-plan-exclusive-tory-fundraiser

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:02:41

e.g. 'emergency meeting' - but not until Monday!

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-coronavirus-news-emergency-cobra-meeting-latest-a9364781.html

Riverwalk Fri 28-Feb-20 14:03:02

Have you never indulged in bashing a politician Opal?

GagaJo Fri 28-Feb-20 14:03:24

I think he's being directed by Cummings to stay out of the public eye. DC's reason for this is less obvious, although I'm sure we'll be lied to about why soon.

Greymar Fri 28-Feb-20 14:05:59

I wasn't bashing. There is nothing to bash, he seems to be absent.

Bbarb Fri 28-Feb-20 14:08:50

It makes a change from bashing Royalty.

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 14:12:13

Bashing = not saying anything complimentary about a Golden Boy. Just like bullying= correcting a factual error or not having the same opinion as oneself. These words and their meaning are to be found in the ‘Humpty Dumpty Book of Words and What I say they mean’

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 14:14:45

If Boris wasn’t such an idiot we wouldn’t be able to ‘bash’ him (for bash read ‘hold him to account’). I suspect Dominic has told him to stay at home and do a jigsaw while Dom gets on with the important business of screwing over the UK.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:15:40

Hilarious! It's all very amusing!

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:18:44

SirC - spot on- tragically.

trisher Fri 28-Feb-20 15:08:34

Well one thing he isn't doing is spending time reading extensively detailed reports or cabinet papers!
Aides to Boris Johnson have been instructed that all briefing memos for the Prime Minister should be kept to two sides of A4 paper to improve the chances of him reading them.

The Downing Street policy unit was said to have been asked to provide the PM with 'weekend reading' but was told any documents had to be an 'easy read'.

Meanwhile, the PM's top aide Dominic Cummings is apparently blocking documents due to be placed in the premier's ministerial red box if he deems them to be too long or complex.

The claims, reported by the Sunday Times, sparked a backlash as Whitehall sources suggested those running the government were operating as if they had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

jura2 Fri 28-Feb-20 15:22:59

Not sure he is bored, but becoming increasingly aware he has not got a clue - has NOOOOOOOOOOO idea what he has got himself into.

Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 15:28:08

I think that is why he's underwraps, he needs to think on his feet under increasing difficult circumstances. He won't/can't read the briefing notes so literally doesn't know what's going on or what is the best way to handle it. I think that the country is in trouble. Remember the halcyon days when Brexit was the only thing we had to worry about!