Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Johnson getting bored?

(207 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 13:42:50

It occurred to me yesterday that we have seen little of the PM in recent days. Not as if anything much is happening, what with serious flooding, an international health crisis and now the stock markets in freefall. I wondered if perhaps he is getting bored with the tedium of being PM? Before this weeks PMQs he has not been seen in public for 12 days. Perhaps is OK for him to be holed up in Chequers over the weekend? What do you think??

eazybee Fri 28-Feb-20 15:36:20

Or of course, he could be working.

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 15:38:32

I think it’s beginning to dawn on BJ that he has released the Kraken, that the bloke who wears shorts and a beanie and witters on about super forecasters in completely in control and hasn’t got an effing clue what to do about it. It’s like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 15:40:54

Easy - well yes he could be, but he certainly manages to dispel any impression of hard graft

trisher Fri 28-Feb-20 16:16:03

Apparently he's not at Chequers anyway, he's hiding away at Chevening!

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 16:28:44

Chequers is being renovated apparently

Greymar Fri 28-Feb-20 16:54:11

" Bullying" is massively overused. What's going to happen? Somebody will jump through the screen and shout at you ?

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 16:57:44

BOO!!!

If someone feels they’re being bullied then they (or others witnessing it) should absolutely report it to GNHQ as per the board guidelines. OTOH, if it’s just part of a lively debate where people are disagreeing with you then it might not actually be bullying.

Opal Fri 28-Feb-20 17:15:02

Another case of putting words in another poster's mouth ...... I never mentioned "bullying". And I'm sure it would take a lot more than the bitter lefties' drivel on here to "bully" anyone, I think you over-estimate yourselves .....

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 17:21:28

grin grin

Lucca Fri 28-Feb-20 17:25:53

“Lefties”. That’s not bashing then....

Oldbat1 Fri 28-Feb-20 17:43:17

He is a disgrace and doesn’t instil any confidence. You couldn’t make it up. Never mind I’m sure he will have some sensible ideas come Monday afternoons meeting. Just don’t hold your breath folks.

Opal Fri 28-Feb-20 17:49:35

It's a descriptive term, open to interpretation, take it any way you wish. It's nothing compared to the insults that have been thrown in the direction of right-wingers on GN.

Urmstongran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:06:52

Well didn’t his divorce come through last week? That will have necessitated time with his legal team. Things to sort out.

Also he had a COBRA meeting on Monday.

Welcomed young winners of the ‘Your NHS’ art competition to No 10 mid week.

There was PMQs on Wednesday.

It is, according to Katy Balls in the Guardian today “It is part of a planned media approach that aims to change the pace of political coverage and what is expected of the prime minister.”

If my house flooded the last thing I'd want is Boris turning up (mop in hand) for some cheesey photo opportunity!

He is delegating. Good for him.

He’s getting on with planning for Brexit. It might be the end of June so needs must!

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:14:12

There’s none so blind....

Urmstongran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:20:23

If Boris had rushed to the flooded areas with a mop for photo opportunities, commentators on these pages would be the first to condemn him for it. He would have been accused of exploiting peoples misery for publicity.

He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

He is also winning every hand he's playing at the moment.

This is what an 80 seat majority looks like. Get used to it.
Things are different now!

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:22:26

I wonder why he went to the flooded areas during the election campaign ? That’s really puzzling me ........

Urmstongran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:26:21

Probably because the election was all he had to focus on? Go out, get the votes in?

Now there’s Brexit, coronovirus and the floods. And the upcoming Budget to work around with the added impact of global tanking due to said virus.

Has nobody heard of delegation?

What is the point in employing ministers to tackle the different elements of the management of the country, then trying to do it all yourself!

In any business that model would be a recipe for disaster.

Boris has it right, and the reason the media is bitching is that they cannot present him in a mess commenting on those aspects that one of his ministers should be doing.

Greymar Fri 28-Feb-20 18:29:31

What on earth is this bitter lefties thing? I'm not bitter nor a leftie ?

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:30:38

You’ll believe anything Urm your posts are increasingly zealot like

Urmstongran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:52:07

Not zealot like at all sw just putting the other side of a debate forward. You know - the one polar opposite to yours.

If either Labour or the LibDems had an effective leader who was in the media all of the time making points against the government then Boris would have to come out and play media. But they don't, so he doesn't.

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:53:13

Nope a zealot.

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:54:06

It’s always someone else’s fault, never his.

trisher Fri 28-Feb-20 18:54:44

What is the point in employing ministers to tackle the different elements of the management of the country, then trying to do it all yourself!
Oh come on Urmstongran did you not hear what the ex-chancellor said? A chancellor, like all cabinet ministers, has to be able to give candid advice so he is speaking truth to power. I believe that the arrangement proposed would significantly inhibit that and it would not have been in the national interest.
In other words Boris is not listening or delegating to anyone. Add to that Javid's comments about advisers and "Cummings" and you know who is really running the country.
And it ain't BJ!
By the way could we count on our fingers how many times he has been seen since the election? I think it's possible!

Urmstongran Fri 28-Feb-20 18:55:26

Whatever. We shall have to agree to disagree sw. It happens in real life.
?

The Libdem’s had a leader who was darling of the Liberal press. She used to appear in the Guardian every day, on TV and wherever she could. Apparently she lost her seat.

You can have too much of a good thing!

suziewoozie Fri 28-Feb-20 18:58:15

Urm I used to enjoy your posts - but now they are just empty propaganda full of shining eyed adoration and belief in the Great Leader.