Gransnet forums

News & politics

Amendment on sale of NHS to foreign powers voted down

(77 Posts)
biba70 Tue 21-Jul-20 08:57:00

So, the Tories have done it - voted down the amendment that would have protected our NHS from being privatised and sold piecemeal to foreign powers. Trump said it would have to be part of a Deal - and they had to jump to his command. Is that what Brexiters wanted?

Deedaa Tue 21-Jul-20 19:48:37

Apparently they did sad It's hard to believe that they made all that fuss about taking back control from unelected committees in Brussels and have now handed control over to Boris and his unelected "advisor".

Grany Tue 21-Jul-20 19:56:41

Rufus G Threepwood one of the best things about the UK.. and they don't value it at all... this pandemic has made it clear just how much we need the NHS.. we don't need this government.. their actions make that plain. In America.. people who are seriously ill with covid 19 are being bankrupted by their medical treatment.. because their insurance is not enough.. and if you don't have private health insurance.. you're probably stuffed... horrible humans they are.. the lot of them.

varian Tue 21-Jul-20 20:05:43

The Vote Leave government have cut us off from the EU, and picked fights with China and Russia (possibly for good reasons). Where does that leave the charade of "global Britain"?

We are now entirely at the mercy of a predetory USA led by an unspeakably awful president.

biba70 Tue 21-Jul-20 20:10:26

totally - this is seriously worrying - so much for independent Great Britain sad

Curlywhirly Tue 21-Jul-20 20:21:20

Are there any Tory MPs with a conscience? Would be interesting to see which MPs voted for or against this amendment. It's just one catastrophe after another with this Government, I don't know why I am surprised, naivety I suppose. I despair, I truly do.

Grany Tue 21-Jul-20 20:45:49

Full list of MPs who voted against the NHS being protected from foreign control in Brexit trade deals

www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-against-the-nhs-being-protected-from-foreign-control-in-brexit-trade-deals/21/07/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=TLB&fbclid=IwAR0JRPpn1861R2Rh3FTkfTaL5VYeCFS8FDz0tWSAPUpfgDjKYdhuQpel9NA

paddyanne Tue 21-Jul-20 21:34:23

all the vile Tory MP's from Scotland voted against the NHS being protected.....par for the course ,tories voting AGIANST their country is the norm in Scotland so no one is surprised ,our election s are next year ,expect a tory free zone ,if there is a god expect a vote on Independence on the paper too and the TRUE ,russia free result will be a resounding YES

Fennel Tue 21-Jul-20 22:15:17

It's a tragedy - but you could see this coming from a few years ago.
So much more depressing because now our parl. has agreed to it. As Grany says, look at the current system in the USA.
Where the only winners are the insurance companies.
And the pharmaceutical companies.

Curlywhirly Tue 21-Jul-20 22:19:42

Grany thank you so much for that. I have just looked at the link - my MP was one who voted against the amendment, the lowlife. I'm not a political animal at all, but enough is enough. He'll be getting a strongly worded email from me in the morning, be interested to see his excuse, that's if he bothers to reply.

Chewbacca Tue 21-Jul-20 22:51:16

I've just checked and saw that my MP also voted against the amendment. He's just had an email from me. I couldn't wait until morning. angry

Eloethan Wed 22-Jul-20 00:39:46

It's hardly a great surprise is it? Above all else, business and profit and the shrinking of the state's responsibilities for public services in general is what the Conservative Party stands for and why they attract the very large donations of wealthy individuals and businesses. They have a record of selling off thousands of UK assets to all comers and of privatising vital services - quite often with disastrous consequences. It seems British people don't really care. When it comes to the NHS, however, they may, very belatedly, start to care.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Jul-20 06:15:01

Remember “project fear”?

I’d like to ram that bloody phrase down their throats.

Curlywhirly Wed 22-Jul-20 06:52:42

Well our NHS is very precious to us all, especially so during this pandemic. Hopefully this will be one change too far for the electorate and something will be done - remember the poll tax? But with the 'I'm all right Jack' and the 'I'll put up with anything as long as we Brexit' brigade, I won't hold my breath - lambs to the slaughter.

Nannee49 Wed 22-Jul-20 07:57:15

Sadly, curlywhirly, our magnificent NHS isn't precious to us all. It's precious to you and me and all the other clear minded folk on GN but unfortunately not to those, especially, who 'lent' their precious vote to this absolute bunch of buffoons now in government. Trust the Tories to keep our NHS safe?!! Really??

Curlywhirly Wed 22-Jul-20 08:21:26

I know Nannee49 but surely even the most loyal rightwingers can't agree with this latest development. As the older generation, we will no doubt be needing our NHS even more in our twilight years; do we really want to be worrying about health insurance and whether we can afford the price of a hospital visit or doctor's appointment if private healthcare becomes the norm? Be interesting to see how our Tory GN voters defend it, because as far as I can see, they can't.

Nannee49 Wed 22-Jul-20 09:23:22

I totally agree curlywirly and there's absolutely no pleasure or satisfaction in knowing this was coming just frustration and sorrow, even, that our most cherished institution is now so vulnerable. Those Thursday claps were just the hollow sound of hypocrisy in retrospect.

flaxwoven Wed 22-Jul-20 09:31:48

Bits of the NHS have already been privatized by the back door. You can check how your MP voted. Mine did not vote (his wife was Health Minister in the past) and another local MP voted against. The media need to splash this across the front pages.

Curlywhirly Wed 22-Jul-20 10:30:47

Flaxwoven I have sent my email to my MP this morning. I live in a marginal constituency, so we are following his performance carefully.
I can't think any of my fellow constituents or many MPs to be honest, would really agree that both the NHS and animal welfare Amendments should have been defeated.

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 19:28:54

@ProgressiveLulu

PLEASE GUYS, I NEED YOUR HELP! I want to organise mass protests in every U.K. city to protest the Tories selling off our NHS to US and Trump. I can’t do this alone. F**k tweeting about it and help me get this done PLEASE. I can’t do this alone. I need you guys xxx

GillT57 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:11:57

I read an interesting article yesterday ( will try to find it), basically all those Tory supporters who believed that the NHS wouldn't be sold off were right. It will stay, but the services provided will be slowly reduced. We all know about little things like ear syringing no longer being provided, tonsillectomies not being done.....and many have chosen to ignore these changes and even excuse them by blaming the patients themselves ( smokers/obese/health tourists etc), but it will be interesting to read in just a few years the moans and complaints as those same supporters find they have to pay for their knee replacements, hip replacements as they are no longer considered to be emergencies. We are heading towards a self inflicted two tier medical system and it frightens me.

Bluecat Thu 23-Jul-20 20:28:31

I am very miserable about this. We knew it would happen and, lo and behold, here it is. Now it will be downhill all the way. Our greatest national treasure, underfunded for years, now being chopped up and sold. It's death will be engineered by the Tories, voted into office largely by the older generations, the people most likely to need the NHS's services.

People baffle me.

biba70 Thu 23-Jul-20 20:50:08

I hope this will be the final nail in the Tory coffin - it is utterly shameful - they swore it would not be part of a Deal, again and again. Shocking. I would like to hear anyone come on here and say that they support this and that they did not lie.

growstuff Thu 23-Jul-20 22:13:06

Trade experts, including the CBI and the TUC, who are advising the government on a U.S. trade deal, are refusing to sign confidentiality agreements as they will gag people for up to 7 years...

twitter.com/i/status/1286247505517252608

The government is not being transparent with the British public about what the UK will have to give up to achieve a trade deal and doesn't want anybody talking about it.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Jul-20 22:36:41

Oh dear. Is this daft rumour still doing the rounds?

Does anyone honestly still believe that the wicked Tories are selling the NHS to Donald Trump?

I thought this stupid rumour had long since been put to bed.