Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corruption or sensible spending?

(36 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:33:55

Billions of tax payers money has been paid to Tory donors and Tory supporters, without any apparent tendering process.

The examples are numerous, and in my view is corruption on a massive scale.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:25:05

Starmer:
How many face masks were provided by Ayanda Capital in exchange for £150m?

Johnson:
Waffle waffle private sector waffle lovely waffle pout over-energised delivery to avoid the question.

Starmer:
The answer is none.

biba70 Wed 11-Nov-20 22:44:41

Again, KS clear, precise, and spot on. And making Johnson look like the dangerous buffoon he is too.

misty34 Wed 11-Nov-20 22:54:57

I think we all have short memories I am not saying that any of these examples should not be challenged but this kind of thing has always happened regardless which party was in power.

Froglady Thu 12-Nov-20 08:07:16

misty34

I think we all have short memories I am not saying that any of these examples should not be challenged but this kind of thing has always happened regardless which party was in power.

Maybe not to the extent that has happened with the Corona virus pandemic and with such devastating results (or lack of if you look at the 'world beating' track and trace debacle). All of this has put people's lives at risk - not acceptable by any standards.

25Avalon Thu 12-Nov-20 08:10:42

Not all necessarily corrupt but the old boy network still thriving.

Froglady Thu 12-Nov-20 08:19:04

Grany

Johnson and Hancock face court for putting their chums in big jobs they can’t do
Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock are being taken to court for bypassing normal tendering procedures in order to give important public sector roles to their personal friends.

NEW: The PM & Matt Hancock are being sued for giving top-ranking Tories key Test and Trace jobs without advertising roles. They've been given notice of legal proceedings by @RunnymedeTrust & @GoodLawProject for alleged cronyism over "jobs for pals" row. t.co/qw0b4mGCyU

Thank you for the information and link. For all those who, like me, are upset by what has happened with the appointment of Dido Harding, could have a look at this link and actually do something about it rather than just shout from the sidelines - it's time for your voice to be heard out loud.

Daisymae Thu 12-Nov-20 08:37:08

While it has always gone in to a degree the sheet scale of this is staggering. This pandemic has proved to be a huge opportunity. For the select few. Maybe there will be a public enquiry when this is over?

BlueBelle Thu 12-Nov-20 08:47:28

Totally corrupt and very very dispiriting to know nothing can be done
I know you ll all disagree but even this vaccine is starting to show huge signs of corruption and that is so disappointing

Luckygirl Thu 12-Nov-20 09:42:46

Kate Bingham is the wife of my MP. I am furious about this.

MaizieD Thu 12-Nov-20 10:26:28

Totally corrupt and very very dispiriting to know nothing can be done

The Good Law Project is trying very hard to not only publicise this abuse of public funds but also to challenge its legality by Judicial Review. They seem to be the pursing the only legal route anyone has to hold the government to account.

It's a crowd funded project so something that can be done is to make a donation to them.

Here's a link to them again (note, they're interested in other topics apart from govt. corruption)

goodlawproject.org/about/