Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do some get away with it?

(80 Posts)
Pantglas2 Wed 23-Dec-20 21:31:31

In view of Stephen Kinnock, Dominic Cummings, royal family et al misdeeds- how come no mention of Nicola Sturgeons recent ‘oh dear, I made a mistake, forgive me, cos I’m special’?

I did think there would be a discussion.....

Grannynannywanny Wed 23-Dec-20 22:36:53

I heard Professor Jason Leitch, national clinical director, being interviewed on radio this morning.

He attended the funeral and confirmed exactly the version of events described by Marydoll.

It was a momentary lapse of concentration. Not a premeditated decision to flout the rules.

JuneRose Wed 23-Dec-20 22:41:45

Give the lady a break. She has a lot on her mind !

lemongrove Wed 23-Dec-20 22:43:14

Wheniwasyourage

Maybe she's so busy that she can't remember her name. lemongrove. Of all the things to complain about, that seems to me to be a bit OTT, even for a Boris Johnson supporter like you. It seems to annoy some people if anyone suggests that Mr Johnson could tuck his shirt in, or, as George Clooney said, get a comb and use it.

?
Yes, maybe that’s it, she’s forgetful. Nah! It amused me to see her initials on it...

whenIwas.....I am no supporter of Johnson, only of the Conservatives for the last three elections, thought you would have realised that by my many spoof posts about him taking the mickey.

lemongrove Wed 23-Dec-20 22:45:43

SueDonim yes, it is baffling, but I think that often posters find her instructions clearer ( than Johnson) so give marks for that rather than anything else.

Marydoll Wed 23-Dec-20 22:55:48

Lemongrove, I can only speak from my own perspective , but I have to disagree.

As I've said I'm not an SNP supporter, so no axe to grid here.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Dec-20 23:02:25

I'll hold my hands up too. I went into the bakers shop on Monday, asked for what I needed, paid and was about to leave the shop when I saw the notice on the back of the door saying "Thank you for wearing a face covering". That's when I realised I wasn't wearing mine. I apologised profusely and they were very kind about it but I felt dreadful because it was in my pocket all along. I had no excuse other than I'd just forgotten to put it on. It won't happen again.

Ilovecheese Wed 23-Dec-20 23:11:52

When has she bashed Boris Johnson?

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 23:15:00

What's to say? - she apologised profusely, rather than making up implausible excuses (her eyesight is presumably fine!); and it appeared to be a slip-up of not putting her mask back on when she got up from sitting to standing. Far worse and premedicated "lapses" have been got away with.

I really don't understand her rule on this.

Does the virus not travel horizontally but just in a downward trajectory?

If she sat across a table with others she need not have worn her mask, but because she was standing, according to her decree, she must wear one?

Has she told the COVID virus this? Did it listen?

She broke her own rule, she has apologised.
However, it just proves that it is easy to break the rules and begs the question are they properly thought through?

Marthjolly1 Wed 23-Dec-20 23:15:10

My thoughts are exactly the same as Marydoll. I'm not an SNP supporter at all and I dont like her politics but this has nothing to do with politics. The woman is human. It was a genuinely unfortunate moment where she was caught on the hop and she immediately apologised, sincerely. Give her a break. The Sun should be ashamed of its self.

Eloethan Wed 23-Dec-20 23:22:29

A momentary lapse, which several Gransnetters, including myself, have owned up to. It's hardly the same as some of the deliberate, lengthy and serious transgressions we have seen.

Summerlove Wed 23-Dec-20 23:29:37

Missing the point, but doesn’t Princess Anne also have her initial on all her masks?

I do not think it terribly uncommon

Granny23 Wed 23-Dec-20 23:34:41

My question is this: Who was the 'person' who attended the private (invitation only) funeral, armed with a camera and seized the opportunity to take the photograph and sell it to the SUN? It was the funeral of a high ranking Civil Servant, with whom Nicola had worked closely. I can image the upset this furore must have caused to the bereaved family, who would have been grateful to the FM for taking time to honour their loved one.

Grannynannywanny Wed 23-Dec-20 23:40:30

Granny23 the photo was taken in a hotel after the funeral service. So, possibly one of the hotel staff.

SueDonim Wed 23-Dec-20 23:46:02

lemongrove

SueDonim yes, it is baffling, but I think that often posters find her instructions clearer ( than Johnson) so give marks for that rather than anything else.

Yet they’re not clear! I don’t know anyone who understands what level they’re in or what each one means or what acronyms such as FACTS means.

On Saturday we were told Covid is so dangerous that we cannot meet at Xmas for more than one day yet on Monday John Swinney, education secretary, said it’s perfectly safe for children to be at school. It can’t be both dangerous and safe at the same time. confused

Jangran99 Thu 24-Dec-20 00:17:35

On Monday Nicola Sturgeon proclaimed it to be 'unconscionable 'to compound the coronavirus crisis by leaving the EU market regulations.This from the woman whose primary concern is to press ahead with another attempt to separate Scotland from the rest of the UK,the 5th largest economy in the world, while the virus is still rampant,and we face a recession set to last years.

vegansrock Thu 24-Dec-20 04:39:38

Johnson and the Queen have been pictured in public without a mask when others were wearing one so it’s not exactly the worse infringement. I’m guessing mask makers give these personalised masks to high profile figures , I’ve seen Joe Biden in one . An apology is better than a pathetic excuse. It was a mistake, not a deliberate rule flouting.

Lucretzia Thu 24-Dec-20 06:37:15

Hardly a hanging offence

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 06:53:27

I'm with Lucca on this. Cannot believe the number of times I've been over a store threshold with mask still firmly in hand. Getting better now in that I only carry one at a time. At first I had one in a few pockets, I was so forgetful. NS was aware of the furore this was going to cause and undoubtedly had seen the newspapers so she smartly (and rightly) got in first. I do agree she overplays the 'this is hurting me' bit but I think in general she is doing a reasonable job. I wouldn't have it for a pension - even hers!

Jane10 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:39:49

Lots to apologise for.

Oldwoman70 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:44:17

Apparently she was leaving the venue and had taken off her mask, was called back in and forgot to put her mask back on - except she is pictured sitting down reading a document.

Pantglas2 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:46:40

I’m with the ‘forgetters’ in all this and certainly wasn’t implying she should lose her job over it! I’m not qualified to know whether she’s doing a good job or not in Scotland- I read GN for that?

My point is that some people in the public eye who tell others how to behave aren’t always doing so themselves and the uproar isn’t always commensurate with the misdeed. It appears to depend on whether we like them or their politics doesn’t it?

eazybee Thu 24-Dec-20 08:04:49

I care neither for Nicola Sturgeon nor her politics, but she forgot to replace her face mask, was photographed and has apologised profusely for it.
Nobody else on here forgotten to wear one? I did yesterday, for the first time, only realised when waiting in the checkout queue; apologised profusely and swathed my head in a thick woollen scarf. Reprehensible.
No excuse, but I am not at present attempting to run a country nor followed everywhere by photographers.

Grannynannywanny Thu 24-Dec-20 08:14:04

Oldwoman70 the Sun published 2 photos yesterday. The one of her sitting reading a document is a stock photo taken in the Scottish Parliament. Masks are removed there once they are all in position as they are all safely distanced from each other.

The photo they published and which caused all the furore Nicola Sturgeon is clearly standing beside an empty table. She is speaking to 3 women at another table who are a safe distance away.

Ironically, if she had sat on the chair which her hand is resting on there would be no story. It’s a hotel serving food and once seated there is no need to be masked. She had been wearing her mask as she was leaving the building and was called back to speak to those women after she’d removed it.

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 08:56:54

For SueDonim
From Boxing Day the whole of mainland Scotland will be in the country's toughest tier of restrictions for at least three weeks. So what can you do - and not do - in level four?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54962238

Elegran Thu 24-Dec-20 09:05:34

F for Face coverings
A for Avoid crowded places
C for Clean your hands regularly
T for Two metre distance
S for Self Isolate (and book a test if you have symptoms)

Not exactly difficult concepts. How is it hard to understand?